THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salmon is about as native to Georgia BBQ as filets of Koala are to Alberta, Canada...

I think you actually may be able to get a Koala steak at the Grizzly House restaurant in Banff, Alberta CAN. You can get just about everything else there.

But its probably not NATIVE koala. ;)

For us, around here, there is no such a thing any longer as anyone who wins regularly. Right now Rescue Smokers is on a bit of a streak, but streaks end... I'm not saying they're lucky; just the opposite. The competition is just that stiff. I think in season 1 the producers profoundly underestimated just how stiff it is, as they surely expected to get a GC or two or more out of that pack...

I dont think their audience (or target) is the traditional reality TV show viewer, but more of a grilling/BBQ type of person that wants to glean a tip or two (shigging by the TV) and get to see how competitive some of these folks can be. I think if they stuck to the KCBS 4 categories (and I'm not a KCBS hard-core guy either) and asked things about preparation, rub, temps, etc. that they wouldn't lose a viewer at all...

Personally, I'll watch (DVR) the entire season, as it is entertaining! I'm not hung up on the "regionality" of GA, KC, NC, wherever, but more on how the teams prep and cook. I see that they are going to do a show in North Carolina. Can't wait to see what they have to say about "NC style" bbq! There are several different "styles" in NC.
Enjoy watching or turn it off!

Are you sure? People on the previous seasons (after season 1) had trailer pits. Johnny Trigg was using his Jambo trailer, Jamie Greer was using a Jambo trailer, and Rod Grey was using a Jambo Trailer.

Unless they changed the rules this season they have had trailer mounted pits in the past.

They told me that you could not have a pit mounted on a flat bed trailer (sorry I didn't clarify). One of my competitors had to remove his pit from his flat bed trailer with a fork lift.

I even accept the dramatic "pit not coming up to temperature" and "meat might not get to target internal temperature" problems that are added effect.

It wasn't added effect. It was COLD when they filmed. Everyone doesn't has the benefit of an insulated smoker.:help::help: If you look closely, you will notice everyone wearing long sleeves and turtlenecks.

Personally, I'll watch (DVR) the entire season, as it is entertaining! I'm not hung up on the "regionality" of GA, KC, NC, wherever, but more on how the teams prep and cook. I see that they are going to do a show in North Carolina. Can't wait to see what they have to say about "NC style" bbq! There are several different "styles" in NC.
Enjoy watching or turn it off!

That right, don't come on here and give an opinion. The internet is too small for that. :hand:

Aawa

It wasn't added effect. It was COLD when they filmed. Everyone doesn't has the benefit of an insulated smoker.:help::help: If you look closely, you will notice everyone wearing long sleeves and turtlenecks.

I understand it is cold and temperatures drop. But I refuse to believe that any Pitmaster worth a dang first reaction to a low temperature (after they had their pit wide open moving food in and out) is to throw 2 sticks into the firebox. And then not even 2 seconds after throwing 2 stick in there realize the back damper wasn't opened all the way.

You can also tell different parts are cut scenes where they edit stuff in and out. Rollin' Grills pit was at about 245ish, after he threw the 2 sticks in and corrected the damper, he is walking away from the pit and you can see that the thermometer hands are past where the 350 degree temperature was .

I understand it is a reality cooking show. I enjoy the show and I learn from it. However it is pretty obvious when things are edited and added for dramatic effect. It might of been a small problem but the emphasis of it to try to make it seem like a big problem is there.

I understand it is cold and temperatures drop. But I refuse to believe that any Pitmaster worth a dang first reaction to a low temperature (after they had their pit wide open moving food in and out) is to throw 2 sticks into the firebox. And then not even 2 seconds after throwing 2 stick in there realize the back damper wasn't opened all the way.

You can also tell different parts are cut scenes where they edit stuff in and out. Rollin' Grills pit was at about 245ish, after he threw the 2 sticks in and corrected the damper, he is walking away from the pit and you can see that the thermometer hands are past where the 350 degree temperature was .

I understand it is a reality cooking show. I enjoy the show and I learn from it. However it is pretty obvious when things are edited and added for dramatic effect. It might of been a small problem but the emphasis of it to try to make it seem like a big problem is there.

Agreed. they took 1 1/2 days of video and edited it into a 42 minute reality show. :shocked:

What # season is being shown on Destination America? When do the new episodes come on?

They told me when I filmed my episode it was season five but on the first episode this season, they said it was season six :confused:. The new episodes come on Saturday at 21:00 (9PM for civilians)

... I dont think their audience (or target) is the traditional reality TV show viewer, but more of a grilling/BBQ type of person that wants to glean a tip or two (shigging by the TV) and get to see how competitive some of these folks can be. I think if they stuck to the KCBS 4 categories (and I'm not a KCBS hard-core guy either) and asked things about preparation, rub, temps, etc. that they wouldn't lose a viewer at all...

I think there are quite a few viewers that are not as into the hobby of BBQ as we are here, and the last thing they want is to have folks say something like "hmmmm, all these guys cook is chicken, ribs, pork or chicken... what channel is Bonanza on?". It's fair to say many viewers cook on gas or maybe just a kettle grill.... so even something we take for granted like shoulder or brisket might never be possible (or practical) for them.

I'm not saying I hope they have cheeseburgers as an entry, but I did enjoy the show where meatloaf was entered. And along those lines have they ever had sausage as an entry?

I think there are quite a few viewers that are not as into the hobby of BBQ as we are here, and the last thing they want is to have folks say something like "hmmmm, all these guys cook is chicken, ribs, pork or chicken... what channel is Bonanza on?". It's fair to say many viewers cook on gas or maybe just a kettle grill.... so even something we take for granted like shoulder or brisket might never be possible (or practical) for them.

I'm not saying I hope they have cheeseburgers as an entry, but I did enjoy the show where meatloaf was entered. And along those lines have they ever had sausage as an entry?

You could be right... For that matter, perhaps each episode put in one, in essence, an ancillary, each time... However, the average griller that isn't grilling a steak, burger or hotdog is (around here) trying to BBQ one or more of the KCBS 4...

This last airing there was a lot of repeat and sales of the show itself. There was probably 8 or 10 minutes that could gone more to show content than anything else. I dont know if they could fit in 5 categories. Perhaps each week they sub something different in for 1 of the KCBS 4 so they're judged on 3 that they're accustomed to cooking and 1 ancillary...

Oh baby, give me brunswick stew!!!! I'd swap that darned chicken skin judging category for brunswick stew in a heartbeat! :)

Totally agree with this and I for one enjoy the show. But I do enjoy it a bit more when they are doing a KCBS entry style meat best.

They told me when I filmed my episode it was season five but on the first episode this season, they said it was season six :confused:. The new episodes come on Saturday at 21:00 (9PM for civilians)

Geez i'm so far behind then, Netflix sure needs to catchup and carry more than Seasons 1-3!

Along with what others have said, I'm getting tired of a couple of things (and because I pay so much to watch the show, I deserve a direct say in content and production, of course):

1: Competitors from Illinois or Canada or the Planet Krypton on the show representing "the best of real <Insert Region's Name here>-style BBQ." At least in the first episode they picked three Georgia teams. In past years, they brought people in from a long way...
2: Weird ancillary meats (and sides from Season 2 or 3 there). Who'd ever cook that?
3: That guy Stretch who seems to be a pizza shop owner who makes subs and sometimes does a little BBQ on the side while busy fashioning his steel-based artwork and booking bands for his music venue. Anyone catch him on Bar Rescue a couple of years back? Making some kind of sculpture for a bar? I'm guessing there are some other quality BBQ teams in the KC area that wouldn't mind being on the show. At least Rod Gray is legit.
4: If you're on the show once, unless it's the finals, you're not on again for 5 years. Period.
5: If you're Johnny Trigg, you shouldn't have to keep competing on the show. You should just be dubbed Grandmaster Pitboss Extraordinaire Emeritus and then brought on occasionally to help mentor younger competitors, kind of like on The Voice. You've earned this, Johnny. (I actually kind of liked the episodes of long ago when he was paired up with the new guy who insisted on putting cherries on everything).
6: Someone needs to develop a really good App for Appstore, etc., in which you can open the app on your phone, geo-locate yourself, and find every BBQ restaurant within 30 miles (or at least every BBQ Pitmaster contestant locally). I'm not sure why I put this here, but it would be a moneymaker for someone. Get to work brethren.

I enjoy the show as entertainment but the main reason I watch is to learn. I gained so much from when Aaron Franklin was a judge but have learned from most of the judges and competitors.

I dont think their audience (or target) is the traditional reality TV show viewer, but more of a grilling/BBQ type of person that wants to glean a tip or two (shigging by the TV) and get to see how competitive some of these folks can be. I think if they stuck to the KCBS 4 categories (and I'm not a KCBS hard-core guy either) and asked things about preparation, rub, temps, etc. that they wouldn't lose a viewer at all...

I think you are spot on Lake Dogs.
But is it really "shigging" if you are paying for the information? LOL!
:becky:

I will say that I really got into REAL BBQ three years ago because of this show. It piqued my interest. I was in a pretty bad accident at work and there wasn't much on TV that kept my attention like cooking shows. I watched all of them and when the Pitmasters series came on, I started my BBQ re-education. I joined here, joined KCBS and MABBA and the rest is history. Once I feel a little more confident about brisket, I may hit local contests as a contestant...

Back