BBQ mayhem!

CaptGrumpy

is one Smokin' Farker
forgot attachmentWell for those of you that have read my introduction at the cattle call, you know that I am into my daughter's volleyball club big time. This weekend we had to play at Cabrillo College in santa Cruz, CA for what is known as the gold division which are the top 12 teams in Northern California age 16 bracket and we are a 15's team which means they have to be even better to compete with the 16's teams. We ended up seeding #8 for NorCal which has about 170 15's & 16's teams and needless to say I love to cook for my team so we don't end up eatting crap food all day and can enjoy ourselves without having to go on a fastfood hunt.
Well I had gotten the bug from my fishing brothers at www.coastsidefishingclub.com to add a Big Green Egg to my collection of BBQs and posted a want ad looking for a med,large or XL BGE. On Friday evening I get an email statingthat they have a medium egg with a table and a few other extras and were not sure what they wanted to get for it. He said he bought it in 1998 and had only used it about a dozen times and preferred his Webber pot with briquets overt the Egg. I gave him a lowball unseen price to play with of $150 and he sounded defeated but then I said I might come up to $250 if it was as clean as he said it was and that I would be down in the morning just to look at it. While I was getting my grill zone set up at the college I got a call from the guy that said he & his wife talked it over and decidied they had to have at least $250 to close the deal. i only had to drive 20 minutes from where I was to check it out and sure enough it was the golden Egg. I asked if he would accept the $250 because that was all I could see it being worth and was happy to see him accept my outlandish offer. I loaded the Egg inside of my truck cab in the back seat with foam pads and straps and put the table in the back and fled the scene of the crime as fast as I could without looking back to feel sorry and offer more money for the deal I just stole away with.
I managed to kill two birds with one stone (trip) and keep my daughter happy by not missing one match and making sure her teammates ate like royalty. We got home last night about 9:30 pm and my wife pulled up at the same time and just shook her head and said I needed some serious help with my BBQ addictions.
The Egg came just in time because I have been waiting to dismantle my New Braunfel offset to take it to a fabricator for a few modifications and bead blasting and fresh fire engine red powder coat. I plan to move the smoke stack, add a heat diversion plate, add a bottom drain, build a firebox for the firebox and put felt seals around the smoke chamber door. i am thinking some flames and lettering to go on it as well.
Life is good and I have my bbq collection down to 5 items including my travel propane grill for the volleyball tour.
Tonight was leftovers from Friday's rib smokin' fest and meats from Saturday's volleyball.
Pic is the brinkman Tailgater and my new to me medium Big Green Egg.

Attachments

• P1010049.jpg
    P1010049.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
Almost forgot Friday's ribs. Rubbed and set overnight and smoked for 6 1/2 hours at 200 degrees with as mix of mesquite, apple & cherry woods and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the bath bowl.

Attachments

• P1010044.jpg
    P1010044.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 187
Nice setup Capt Grumpy! My daughter has been in Club Volleball three years now. Shes in the same age bracket as your daughter. Do you guys make it to Reno tournament in July?

What a score! Dude, is that a Lodge pro griddle on the gasser?

It might be but I am not sure. I bought it at Walmart just for using on the grill for heatin' tortillas and grilling bacon, sausage & pancakes outside my 5th wheel so i don't make a mess inside. The grill collapses down and fits under the nose of my 5th wheel inside the bed of the truck like it was made for just that. Made my life real simple after puttinf 1 1/2 inch casters on the front and changing the big wheels out to 9 inch and able to push it like a shopping cart with extras stacked on top. Some places we travel to for volleyball requires a slight hike and I am not up for lifting the end of that grill and walking 3-4 blocks.
My theory in life is to work smart, not work hard.

holy carp! i can't believe the deals you guys keep getting on the eggs!

All the egg posts lately is starting to get me wondering if I need to start checking around for one.....

Check around on Craigslist in areas as far as you are will to drive. There was an XL with all the goodies in Idaho. Also try posting a wanted ad on craigslist and you will usually spark someone's interest before they post their Egg for sale.

As for the tuna in my Avatar, that is me in 2005 on a 15 day trip out of San Diego on the Qualifier 105 to Hurricane bank some 800 miles from the tip of Baja towards Hawaii. I believe that was my 140 pound YFT (yellow fin tuna for you non Long Range fishermen). This pic was a 180er that I got in through the sharks and another that went to Jenny Craig!

Attachments

• P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 15
OOPS! The skinny tuna that went out for dinner. YFT steaks are awesome on the Egg when seared for 30 seconds a side and one minute covered.

Attachments

• P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 14
Back