BBQ injuries????

in my early grilling days and first started to use a temp probe - after done grilling a t-bone at 450 - i decided to pull the probe out of the meat before i took it off the grill.... Still have 'probe' scars on my thumb and finger!.. not the most proud moment of my life...

I was prepping 15 pork butts for a charity event and I stabbed my ring finger pretty badly. Instantly I knew this was not a normal cut by the amount of pain. Your hands have 2 nerve systems your little finger and half the ring finger are on one. The other half of you ring finger and the rest of your are on the other. The fillet knife pierced right where my wedding ring was. It severed the nerve and I had to have a Hand Surgeon repair the damage. It left a very sensitive lump where my ring would rest. The one side of my finger is very sensitive and will be the rest of my life. I wear my wedding ring on my right hand now. I tried putting it on my ring finger and couldn't take the pain.

I was prepping 15 pork butts for a charity event and I stabbed my ring finger pretty badly. Instantly I knew this was not a normal cut by the amount of pain. Your hands have 2 nerve systems your little finger and half the ring finger are on one. The other half of you ring finger and the rest of your are on the other. The fillet knife pierced right where my wedding ring was. It severed the nerve and I had to have a Hand Surgeon repair the damage. It left a very sensitive lump where my ring would rest. The one side of my finger is very sensitive and will be the rest of my life. I wear my wedding ring on my right hand now. I tried putting it on my ring finger and couldn't take the pain.

Thats awful

Just terrible. I can relate. Had a surgeon nick a nerve in my daughter's abdomen. Same thing....pain will always be there.

So this thread has me laughing, and I must chime in with our own BBQ injuries since we all have them. We are a three person team, and all three of us have endured some sort of injury related to smoking meat...

The very first smoker we got was a knock off WSM, and the hubs had just added some coals to the fire, but they were not catching, so he doused it in lighter fluid...it didn't catch. He reached down into the bottom to light it by hand, with a small lighter might I add, and BOOM....fire ball up his hand and arm. We were all a few adult beverages in at that point so some ice water seemed like a good idea at the time. The next morning, when his hand was slightly purple, we realized the ER was in order. In the end, he had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on two fingers and his thumb, and required cadaver skin and silver treatments to fix it...(I do have pictures, but they would not go well with food).

The next summer we had just finished cooking on our large steel off-set cooker and I had the top racked pulled out a hair and I was scraping away to get the gunk off the rack. Well all the shaking knocked the door off balance and it came crashing down on-top of my head. Luckily I saw it coming, and got my arms out of the way, but the handle came down just behind my hair line...8 staples and 1 ER visit later, I had a nasty headache...

Our third member's injures are not related to fire or hot meat, but they did occur at a BBQ contest, so I guess it counts. I was not there, as it was a night before the typical competition day start (some people got there early), but as it was re-told to me there was a lot of adult beverages involved, and some WWE style wrestling in some wood chips...All I know is when we got there the next day, our team member was covered in cuts and bruises and could hardly walk. I think fnbish could probably chime in here to add some more details... :becky:

Last year my left middle finger apparently was overdue for a generous bleeding. No worries, I hit pay dirt (when i felt it hit the bone) with a slicer while feverishly slicing up a late ham at a family camping trip.
1 garden hose session of about 5 mins, 1.5 tubes of super glue, gauze, and wait for it.....duct tape. Double bagged the hand with gloves and finished the job. Knucklehead move not to go in that night for a tie up. Nurses were impressed, and cracking up by Mount Super glue the next afternoon. Too late for stitches by then, so they set me up with a world record size gauze Chinese finger trap thing on the finger. A true fashion statement, looked like white fuzz cat tail end shooting out of my hand. The upside when people laughed too hard I could get away with holding it up to them loud and proud to "show" it to them real clearly.

Back