BBQ guru vs pitmaster IQ

I have had good luck dealing with these guys. I had a probe issue/question and Matt returned my email promptly.

This is why the brethren is so cool.... I could break my tv and talk to a million foriegners before getting to someone that knows what to do... The brethren gives ordinary bbq people like me the opportunity to communicate directly with the creaters of great products, sauces, rubs, and smokers.

Hi, a friend picked up an IQ 110 for me last year for my Pro Q Excel 20. I was so amazed from it that I purchased another one and seven more for members of the BBBQS forum. Since then I have no complaints what so ever from any of the other members. In fact it's been nothing but praise. With help from the pitmaster in my my last two comps, I have won two 1st in the brisket on the IBQN circiut. The customer service is great and considering how far they had to be delivered, it was a good standard of delivery.
It's just a shame that Pitmaster hasn't got an outlet in Europe?

Regards
Invicta

What are these controllers for? I thought most of the modern smokers were already set it and forget it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

What are these controllers for? I thought most of the modern smokers were already set it and forget it.

Was reading this thinking they same thing. Why would you need one of these on a UDS?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Nothing like turning a dial and letting a controller take over, it's like cooking in a oven set it and for get it, to easy :becky:

I think I'd go with the IQ110 so I can use it in the rain; just need to place it under the table out of the rain. All the others look like they would have the fan exposed; and that doesn't sound like a good idea. I also like the simplicity of the IQ110. Wish the IQ110 had an open lid sensor, or a pause button.

While the choices are good at maintaining the temperature, I really want something to remotely monitor the cooking process. The idea of the Maverick is good. I've used the old one several times, with a lot of quirkiness and poor wireless. I've used the new model once, and for some reason the alarm wasn't going off (maybe user error). So I've been leaning towards the CyberQ, mainly so I can monitor remotely and I can set it up using a more friendly UI. I like the idea of being anywhere and knowing both what my pit and meat is doing. With the CyberQ I can also get a long probe (10 feet; but wish for longer) so I can keep the device out of the rain, and the smoker still away from the house. If you can I'd spend the extra money on those features.

Jake

Iq 110

Hi All What would be the best way to install the IQ 110 on a Brinkmanns Smoke N Pit. I don't have big drill bits to drill big holes.
Thanks Dan

Vents/door

HI All Here is a pic of what my vents/door looks like.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
If the outside diameter of your vent holes is under 5", the standard air adapter will fit. The supplied wing nut will grab on to the partially closed damper/door.

5"

If the outside diameter of your vent holes is under 5", the standard air adapter will fit. The supplied wing nut will grab on to the partially closed damper/door.
I they measure 5" or a smige over. Do the 4 vents stay wide open? What about the smokestack vent, open full?
If I can't use the standard adapter, I will then have to drill a hole for another adapater?
The supplied wing nut will grab on to the partially closed damper/door. Damper door= vent ?
Thanks Dan
PS I could replace the vent door, with solid piece of sheet meatl if I have too.

Every cooker is different, so in the end where you set your dampers is a function of the weather, cooking temperature, meat load, leakiness of the cooker, etc, etc, etc. BUT, you want the dampers set to where the pit is choking off when the blower is not turning. So, as a starting point, I would choke off the stack by 1/2 and the intake so that about 1-2 square inches was all that was open. If the pit comes up slowly, try increasing the flow a bit.

choking off

Hi Sorry some of these terms are going right over my head.:grin:
What do you mean by BUT, you want the dampers set to where the pit is choking off when the blower is not turning.
Thanks Dan

Basically you are just going to have to play with it a bit and see what works for holding the best temps for you. I have not had any luck with my IQUE110 on my COS. Too many air leaks to keep the temps stable, but you may have better luck than me.

He would be referring to your intake vent/damper on the grill itself, them holes seem big. You should have a way to adjust how big the intake is on the IQUE by the fan too and I would start there. I suggest leaving all vents wide open to start and see how that goes. If your temps go high with the fan not running you would need to choke the intake on the IQUE. I had the opposite problem of keeping my pit up to temp and chalked it up to the COS. I built a UDS and haven't looked back since and the IQUE makes it real easy to hold my temps for long cooks.

Good luck. report back, I'm curious how it works for you on your offset.

Hi Sorry some of these terms are going right over my head.:grin:
What do you mean by BUT, you want the dampers set to where the pit is choking off when the blower is not turning.
Thanks Dan

you really would be better off and getting more replies if you started a new thread on this instead of responding to an old one that does not have your question in the subject line.

Anyway, the only way it would have any chance of working with your smoker is if you are able to close off all the vents while the pit is running and kill the fire. If it leaks and you cant, then these controllers wont work well if at all.

They need to have full control of intake air to be able to control the fire.

Then there is the issue of the fan size. You would have to know if the fan has enough capacity to keep the fire going, some companies make bigger fans. So you have to check that out too. I know BBQ Guru offers different sized fans and one would probably work but I dont know about pitmasterIQ

Usually these dont work will well with the cheaper offset smokers. I am sure someone will come along and tell you I am wrong though LOL

Back