BBQ Guru for Full Time Stick Burner?

I have some saved stoker logs from the BYC burns, but cant get them to display the graph.. anyway to do that?

Not that I know of but if you send me the file I'll graph it in Excel. Would be better still if you happened to note the times you added logs and the smoke quality (color, etc.) - then you can really see the pattern develop over time.

Greg

Try this:

newshots027-1.jpg

when you pre-burn like this,you get this
211.gif

newshots034-1.jpg

and that is EASY to control:)-

Hmmm Lets see... no... too much trouble.... esp when you do 15 (Meat Mamma 3000 Custom) to 30 briskets (Brazos) at a time. Not really a point if you know how to make a fire and keep the smoke non-existent or thin anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really a point if you know how to make a fire and keep the smoke non-existent or thin anyway.

Not always true.

Heres fuel for discussion.... Ever seen the smoke that comes out of Myron Mixons smoke stack? (thats Jacks Old South's pit in the background and myron up front with his back to the camera).

Attachments

• DSCN1382.JPG
    DSCN1382.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 202
Not always true.

Heres fuel for discussion.... Ever seen the smoke that comes out of Myron Mixons smoke stack? (thats Jacks Old South's pit in the background and myron up front with his back to the camera).

I have wondered about that. Creosote is the condensate of unburned smoke, analogous to dew being the condensate of humidity in the air. Once the surface of the meat is above the "dew point" of the smoke, it won't act as a condenser, right? Maybe the hotter smoking temps are retarding the condensation? In any event, his exposures are a lot shorter.

Well, this has certaintly been a lively discussion. I see how potentially, the Guru or the Stoker can work with an all wood fire.......but, you need to build a properly sized fire to begin with. I would probably need to learn fire management skills a little better than what I currently know . I babysit the fire to make sure that I burn cleanly. If I could leave the pit alone for 3 or 4 hours that would be great.

Here's another thought.........stolen from current woodstove design. Implement some type of secondary burn system where the smoke is routed through superheated channels before being sent to the cooking chamber. I have a Jotul woodstove that utilizes this design. When there's a lot of smoke at start-up for instance (relatively speaking), you can watch the jets (channels) light-off. This is how these new stoves achieve such high efficiencies and clean air. The Guru or Stoker would then be able to throttle down to its hearts content while maintaining a clean burn.

Something here?? :idea:

Thanks for the healthy discussion,

If your name is anderson... I will shut up.

FWIW, I've used and designed/programmed/built a few of these, both blower-controlled and damper-controlled (like an Oyler but with a variable, servo-controlled inlet damper). But what's up with the personal attack? Why not debate on the merits?

Hey! I like you bud... its my way of showing brethren love! LOL I will debate merits when you give some. :wink:

Less you made that nifty computerized thing for Scott at Lighthouse ministries.

I just wanted to make it clear that there is NO measurable increase in creosote by using the Stoker and all wood. It was a dubious claim, we have many that use it that are familiar with running it with straight wood on a myriad of pits with no problem so.... I was debating based on the merits or lack thereof and still from what I see, you have not used a STOKER, which I have, and is Vastly different from the damper system on a Oyler (My personal Favorite Machine of all time) which I have used.

Seriously, you are alright in my book. Just wrong on this, and its not an opinion... Stokers, when used correctly, do not create creosote smoke which will ruin BBQ.

Not always true.

Why does he insist on Black... Always with the Black... he like the Anti-Vincel Mares-who does he think he is, Johnny Cash?:wink:

I though he started out clean then got smokier near the end? Meats are more forgiving of that at the end, whereas their Texture is less forgiving of High Temps and spikes.

Mixon, Who has claims on 3000 trophies (Pork Mostly), is a fast cooker as I remember. Especially in Brisket, which is his newest conquer.

We all know how I feel about hot and fast. Like my wife.

yeah right, if thats your wife, I'll be your bit*ch.. and cameraman... :wink::mrgreen:

I have seen myron at lots of contests and his pits always spewing that stuff.. it boggles the mind.

what I was also told,(as in dont know if its true), is that he burns green wood, but throws it in a big and hot fire. If it is true, it would explain the thick smoke.

Here she is these days, the old hag! LOL My wife, Little Jake at 2 I think, and Haley my neice.
She was an excellent asset when Popdaddy came to Uconn and needed sexy catering help. Girls just flocked to her.
LOL

You can't get a guy like me to attract young girls to serve BBQ and wear Hot Pants. LOL

yeah right, if thats your wife, I'll be your bit*ch.. and cameraman... :wink::mrgreen:

I have seen myron at lots of contests and his pits always spewing that stuff.. it boggles the mind.

what I was also told,(as in dont know if its true), is that he burns green wood, but throws it in a big and hot fire. If it is true, it would explain the thick smoke.

If your name is anderson... I will shut up.

Hey! I like you bud... its my way of showing brethren love! LOL I will debate merits when you give some. :wink:

Less you made that nifty computerized thing for Scott at Lighthouse ministries.

I just wanted to make it clear that there is NO measurable increase in creosote by using the Stoker and all wood. It was a dubious claim, we have many that use it that are familiar with running it with straight wood on a myriad of pits with no problem so.... I was debating based on the merits or lack thereof and still from what I see, you have not used a STOKER, which I have, and is Vastly different from the damper system on a Oyler (My personal Favorite Machine of all time) which I have used.

Seriously, you are alright in my book. Just wrong on this, and its not an opinion... Stokers, when used correctly, do not create creosote smoke which will ruin BBQ.

Well, all-right, brother. This is about the third time you have tried to dismiss me by magnanimously informing me that I'm wrong, based on your accumulated experience, tonnage, word count, ALL CAPS, etc. Enjoy your world. Or, tell me where I'm wrong:

How the controls work:

• Fact: A stoker controls pit temp by regulating air to the fire to control its power output. While there are some clever algorithms to minimize overshoot and undershoot, the basic principal is this: when the pit temp is below the setpoint, the fan runs, and when the pit temp is above the setpoint, the fan stops.
  • Facts: When the fan stops, air is reduced and pit temp declines.
  • Conclusion: Pit temp declined because combustion was reduced.
Something (or a portion of something) that was burning when the fan was running stopped burning when the fan turned off. That's the only way power went down, right?

How wood works:

• Fact: When wood is heated, it decomposes into charcoal (basically carbon) and smoke (a cornucopia of volatile organic compounds).
  • Fact: Charcoal burns in a surface reaction as a glowing ember. Restricting air slows the oxidation and reduces the heat produced with no ill effects: the unburned fuel just sits there waiting for some oxygen to come along later.
  • Fact: Smoke burns as a flame. Restricting air also slows this reaction and reduces the heat produced. But in this case the unburned fuel is a vapor and heads straight for the cooking chamber and your meat.
  • Fact: The production of smoke is a function of the rate of decomposition of wood, which is driven by the rate of heating of the logs. In the short-term (seconds/minutes), smoke production is unaffected by changes in air.
It's safe to say that when the fan cycled off, smoke production didn't magically decrease in proportion to the reduction in air.

When the fan cycles off, both combustion processes experience reduced air. Both reaction rates decline, reducing total power and pit temperature. And by definition, if the power of the smoke combustion declines, you are sending uncombusted smoke to the cookbox, because the smoke fuel is still coming at the same rate from the hot logs and you are now burning less of it due to having less air. If you still had enough air to burn all the smoke (via leaks, etc.), power would not decrease, right? But it does. Sorry.

That these things lead to unburned smoke in the cookbox is not debatable - they do. If they didn't, they'd have no control of the power level. You can't burn more than 100% of the smoke produced, so you control below 100%.

If the pit boss keeps the fire size slightly bigger than needed to maintain temp unassisted, the system will burn most of the smoke and little creosote will be produced. If the fire is twice as big as it needs to be, half of the smoke will make it out of the firebox unburned. The paradox here is that the closer the pit boss maintains the fire size to the heat demand, the lower the utility of the device in the first place.

If you use wood as a fuel with these devices, or any other air-restricting control, to try to increase your unattended interval, you will pay for it in progressively dirtier smoke. It's only a question of degree. Measuring creosote is mostly a subjective thing. While we've all had a black hunk of nasty Q, there are a thousand shades between that and zero. And some people like a touch of it. Wood creosote is the flavoring agent in Liquid Smoke, and they sell a lot of that stuff, right?

Maybe you can get to 4 hours unattended without impacting flavor too much for your eaters. Good for you. But don't kid yourself - all of the logs in that 4-hour load you shoved in the firebox will heat up simultaneously and emit a huge spike in smoke around the 1-2 hour period as they decompose into charcoal. There's nothing you can do to keep that genie in the bottle - the smoke is coming out on its own terms, not the stoker's. And unless the pit saw a corresponding spike in temperature, you know a big portion of that smoke peak wasn't burned.

This isn't armchair theorizing, although I've done my homework, including inspecting pits and interviewing pit bosses at nearly a hundred joints in TX and KC over the last 8 years. Most of these guys were certain that they were right. Most were very experienced. Most had many tons under their belt. But while some of them made great Q, others were terrible (and a few of them are terribly $uccesful, BTW). Why do you suppose that is?

I pretty much skipped over all that stuff you wrote. Hey? Don't hate on my cuz I say your wrong... I don't hate you cuz you are. In fact I was trying to add you as a friend but I can't... how come. I did add you as a contact, though.

I will say this however, you look for anything, anything to keep from admitting your wrong, including suggesting that I stuff my firebox with wood like I did in the video (that clearly says several times this was not for meat cooking) and then put meat in it in that condition.

Oh and by the way... your wrong about the Stoker and using all wood marring meat with creosote. Just admit you are and have a beer. LOL

I would read your analyst but it would only be dismissive to your proposal that total wood fired stick burners and the stoker create anything close to dirty meat. By the way... make that 16 tons and 470 pounds of quality product (Just smoked another 365 lbs today).

Now... your ego too hurt to be friends? Mine's not.

This isn't armchair theorizing, although I've done my homework, including inspecting pits and interviewing pit bosses at nearly a hundred joints in TX and KC over the last 8 years. Most of these guys were certain that they were right. Most were very experienced. Most had many tons under their belt. But while some of them made great Q, others were terrible (and a few of them are terribly $uccesful, BTW). Why do you suppose that is?

LOL so... Your a salesperson that sells a product that makes Q. So you have to believe in what you say, right?

And who would buy the stuff your selling if you told them what they are doing is right?

Nope... sorry, The Stoker is a wonderful product for keeping a good clean fire of All wood going without leading to creosote build-up on the meat. Anyone suggesting anything else is wrong... especially when they are COMPETING against Stoker.

"texas style... low and slow" cute jingle from Karubecue Pits. I like that!

I pretty much skipped over all that stuff you wrote. Hey? Don't hate on my cuz I say your wrong... I don't hate you cuz you are. In fact I was trying to add you as a friend but I can't... how come. I did add you as a contact, though.

I will say this however, you look for anything, anything to keep from admitting your wrong, including suggesting that I stuff my firebox with wood like I did in the video (that clearly says several times this was not for meat cooking) and then put meat in it in that condition.

Oh and by the way... your wrong about the Stoker and using all wood marring meat with creosote. Just admit you are and have a beer. LOL

I would read your analyst but it would only be dismissive to your proposal that total wood fired stick burners and the stoker create anything close to dirty meat. By the way... make that 16 tons and 470 pounds of quality product (Just smoked another 365 lbs today).

Now... your ego too hurt to be friends? Mine's not.

I dunno about contact/friend stuff. I just have the default settings. And there's no way I suggested you stuff your firebox like that video during normal cooking. It was obviously just a demo/experiment to test an extreme situation.

Popdaddy called me on the bagphone Bill and told me to do that. I just do what Popdaddys says.

I dunno about contact/friend stuff. I just have the default settings. And there's no way I suggested you stuff your firebox like that video during normal cooking. It was obviously just a demo/experiment to test an extreme situation.

Nice little discussion about the stoker...
I would like to learn how to build one of those clean fires that barbefunkoramaque
has been talking about. And if i could learn how to use one of those stokers that
would be okay also. Of course, i might not need it after the video.
Popdaddy called me on the bagphone Bill and told me to do that. I just do what Popdaddys says.
Maybe Popdaddy will give Pitmaster T the call.
jon

ladies ladies ladies..

can you PULEEEZZZEEE continue on an informative and productive thread without sniping ones nads off the fencepost. It may be just ball busting, but some may not construe it that way.

Now, back to your normally scheduled program.

i think the one important part in this discussion is that says the stoker needs a properly sized fire to perform efficiently. Karub's point is that the problem starts when the stoker is NOT performing, its smoldering(as in when the fan goes off). True, but if the fire is sized right, its not going to die off long enough to create bad smoke, as the stoker will pulse on and off when temps drop slightly below target, and keep the fire alive and burning clean. A major factor here is that most stickburners are not airtight to the point they allow a fire to nosedive like a WSM.

Also, the stokers fan runs at various RPMS depending on the delta between set point and current temps. The larger the gap, the faster the fan runs, with what looks to be like a 10* decrease causing full throttle and 2*(with door open detection turned off) causing just small 'puffing' of the fan. The reason I say 2 degree is that in my most impressive burn, I saw the fan pulsing consistantly with very little deviation in max RPM for a burn that went 14 hours with a 4 degree swing.

Yeah Vavy! Let them put the Grr In Swinger Vavy.

About NaDS,

Naw Chef, I get ya. Usually when I and going at it with someone I am PMing them back and forth to make friends and laughing about it. Divemaster and I had a great time the other day. And Bill from Karabeebeedairyque, got the same treatment.

Sorry if people don't know that and get the wrong impression. Which could end up creating the wrong impression for a new reader.

Truthfully, Bill (Karabarbecue) owns a interesting company and HAS done his homework on creosote and I would love to see his modified Friedrich Unit.

He was just wrong on... just kidding. :-D

I happen to think our wives should wrestel over a case of Boons Farm.:twisted:

Would look like a Sandra Bullock VS Geena Davis thang.

245c3eh.jpg

14tm3ci.jpg

Back