BBQ Contest Judging

Uh, I don't think so Tim...
Yes, a table captain you could figure out the "add to" number but no judge sitting at the table could come up with the magic number.
The only way to know whos box is whos is to know the teams box number and then the "add to" number. I think a judge at a table would have no way to complete this task.
The double blind is safe and secure.
Ed

KCBS does not use a true double blind system. It's a blind system. It's unlikely that a table captain or judge would ever learn the alternate # prior to judging, that's true. But the fact is that the system is not double blind. There will be a handful of people that have access to that info prior to judging.

IBCA is an example of a double blind system. The box given to a team has two tickets with matching numbers attached. The team retains one and the other remains on the box. The judges, head judge, volunteers have NO list to determine which team was given a particular #. That is a double blind system.

Either way, I think this has diverged from the original topic.

There are drawbacks to a double blind system. First, it makes for a very unusual awards ceremony. Second, there are ways for teams to cheat so that one particular team makes GC's; enough to qualify them for things like The Royal, The Jack, etc. I've seen competitions in CASI where teams have done that very thing to qualify for Terlingua, only to be found out and the contest loses it's sanctioning...

Every system has its strengths and weaknesses. There's benefits of a 7-10 scoring system, and there are benefits to a 1-9 system. Each different. There are benefits to systems with finals, and benefits to those without. Benefits to on-site (with blind too), and benefits to purely blind.

Choose those that you prefer and compete away.

There are drawbacks to a double blind system. First, it makes for a very unusual awards ceremony. Second, there are ways for teams to cheat so that one particular team makes GC's; enough to qualify them for things like The Royal, The Jack, etc. I've seen competitions in CASI where teams have done that very thing to qualify for Terlingua, only to be found out and the contest loses it's sanctioning...

Every system has its strengths and weaknesses. There's benefits of a 7-10 scoring system, and there are benefits to a 1-9 system. Each different. There are benefits to systems with finals, and benefits to those without. Benefits to on-site (with blind too), and benefits to purely blind.

Choose those that you prefer and compete away.

Yes. Since nobody knows who has the tickets, what's to prevent teams from collaborating and switching tickets to help a team win? (You win this week, you help me win next week...) We see that kind of stuff happen in people's choice all the time.

Yes. Since nobody knows who has the tickets, what's to prevent teams from collaborating and switching tickets to help a team win? (You win this week, you help me win next week...) We see that kind of stuff happen in people's choice all the time.

What's to prevent that? The head cook has to sign his ticket, which has to be validated by contest official before they can receive their award. Sure, it can happen in people's choice - that's usually a lot less stringent(around here, "just for bragging rights") and the rules are up to the organizer.

Lynn H.

Back