BBQ Competitor Wannabe - Backwoods Smoker Model Choice

JackBBQ

Got Wood.
Hello Everyone,

I'm close to realizing my goal of getting into competitive BBQ. I've been preparing for a while now.

Three years ago when I first considered competing, I was told it would be very beneficial if I first became a BBQ judge, so I obtained KCBS CBJ certification. I'm now getting close to obtaining Master Judge certification.

I've also attended a couple BBQ schools, and have been practicing on my Weber WSM. I cooked with a professional team recently, and they used a Backwoods smoker. They spoke very highly of it. It was an older model, but worked very well.

So now I'm ready for a Backwoods smoker of my own. I just need help deciding which model. I want to compete in KCBS, but I have no desire to cook larger volumes of meat than necessary for KCBS competing. No hogs or piglets. And no large-volume catering.

Money is not a big issue.

If you have experience with the newer line of Backwoods smokers, I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you.

We rolled on a G2 Party and G2 Chubby for the last 4yrs and they work great. Of course you can win on anything. Did big meats on the Party, Ribs on the Chubby and when big meats came off chicken then went into an empty party.

If you only want one backwoods then Probably a G2 Competitor or a larger model would be best.

Whichever model you choose, it is helpful to have one that takes a full size steam table pan like the G2 Party or the G2 Competitor. I looked at both of these units -- nice. The Guru DX2 and adaptor door will be a nice accessory. I sure like my Guru on the Primo Oval XL. Good luck.

you can get them all on a fatboy, but a competitor is pretty good. I wouldnt go much bigger unless you just have to cook at different temps.

Take a look at the Meadowcreek Cabinet smokers They will hold the entire pan Really solid smokers They are a little heavy

Hey Jack,

I have not competed in many years but I'm about to with a Meadowcreek TS250 stick burner. Not because that makes sense but its because its what I have now.

I had a BW Party for years before the G2 models. They are fantastic cookers. I have never cooked ribs better in any cooker.

You can't go wrong with one of their cookers. A BW Party G2 and maybe a Gateway Drum and you would be all set.

The G2 models will handle a full sized pan, but they weigh in significantly more weight. So consider the weight in your transport, load/unload plans. I roll with a G1 Competitor & G1 Chubby permanently mounted on a 4x8 utility trailer rated for 2000lb - this setup rolls in at about 1600lb all totaled. Also, foil pans are plenty bendy enough to persuade into G1s

We compete with WSM 18"s and love them. If that's what you've been practicing with, you might consider using them at least to start. You already have quite a bit of time/money invested in comp bbq, and I wouldn't spend a bunch more without really knowing how you're going to like doing it on your own.

I have cooked on a backwoods party g2 for 4 years. I wouldn't go with any other smoker. I have won multiple GCs and RGCs with it. They are rib cooking machines!

First of all, congratulations on approaching the competition world absolutely correct.
Your learning curve is flawless, you are miles ahead of most that just jump into a very expensive proposition unprepared.
I expect you will go far and do very well.
Good luck, I'll be watching.
Ed

Hi there!

I am since last year in Europe with KCBS competitions and participated on five comps till now. This weekend and in another two number 6 and seven will follow. I only use a Backwoods Smoker G2 Party and ... man I love this machine. It is big enough that you can cook a whole competition but not that heavy, that you cannot move it without the help of 10 people. with weels and a ramp for a truck you can move it all alone.

You wont regret it buying a BWS :)

Hi there!

I am since last year in Europe with KCBS competitions and participated on five comps till now. This weekend and in another two number 6 and seven will follow. I only use a Backwoods Smoker G2 Party and ... man I love this machine. It is big enough that you can cook a whole competition but not that heavy, that you cannot move it without the help of 10 people. with weels and a ramp for a truck you can move it all alone.

You wont regret it buying a BWS :)

I looked at this one hard. I like the easy transport and optional tie down handles. I still have not ruled out buying this for Carole's family reunion trip, where 100 people is the norm.

Go with a Humphreys and Flame Boss, a winning combination. They have a wide selection of smokers and they are an improvement over the Backwoods. Contact Chad or Nicole and at least talk to them before you pull the trigger on anything else. Tell them Tony from Backdraft Bar-B-Q told you to call.
https://humphreysbbq.myshopify.com/

the original party is hard to beat for the price. if your wrap brisket and butts in foil instead of pans youll be fine. team next to me last weekend did a whole comp on it. it would be hard for me to justify $1100 for 5" of room. Just depends on your cooking style and pocketbook, have fun!

I compete with a BWS G2 Party. Cook all four meats on the one cooker. As long as you follow your timeline, you'll be fine. This is my 4th Backwoods, they are great smokers. Good luck.

JH

I compete with a BWS G2 Party. Cook all four meats on the one cooker. As long as you follow your timeline, you'll be fine. This is my 4th Backwoods, they are great smokers. Good luck.

JH

Same here. I do KCBS on a G2 Party. :thumb:

Would you guys recommond the g2 party or g2 chubby over the lsg mini with extra rail and racks?

Get a couple webber bulletts and jump in...why would it take you 3 years to prepare to BBQ. You have missed out on 3 years of practical learning and all the fun.

At a minimum, get a G2 Party. We compete with a G2 Party, and Chubby, and LOVE them! I was considering getting a Piglet plus or Competitor, but decided to add another G2 Chubby to the mix. We cook at different temps for each meat and it's nice to have a designated cooker for that. Also, the Chubby is
A rib cooking machine, but really rocks the chicken too!

Back