BBQ Competition Etiquette for the Public

4. Friday evening is the best time to talk with cooks and learn about competition BBQ. And if you're lucky the team may just invite to to come back at turn-ins and try a sample. That's assuming you are serious about BBQ and competition and not just out for a free lunch.

OK so the wording needs work but the idea is sound. I've done this at contests with a no feeding the public rule. After all if I know Joe and he's a good guy (just met him Friday night) then he's a friend we can always feed friends.

To be honest, I find it insulting when some one walks up and and the following conversation takes place in the middle of turn in (yes this is an actual conversation I had last year between chicken and ribs):

JQ Public: "Where's the food you promised us?"

Yeah, I get that and yes organizers often do set unrealistic expectations.

JQ Public: (Loudly) "I'm not looking for your LEFT OVERS, I want fresh food now! I paid to come in here!"

I remember seeing Rod handing out his leftovers at the Grill Kings contest a few years ago... trust me Bud, you want these leftovers :) .

Just seems we need to find more ways for the attendees to get tastes of the teams barbecue.

I think this etiguette sheet is a GREAT idea!! Although I have not experienced some of the pushier and obnoxious people that others in this thread have, I have to say that our better competitons have been the ones with a lot of RAIN. Our giant blue tarp covers our entire site and we have the opening to the back facing our nieghboring team...the public doesnt know that we are there. There are only so many times you can answer: " what is this contest all about?" "Can we taste your food?" "we want to judge, how do we sign up?" The first 100 times you answer ...well ok, but after that we put our cook and prep area as far to the back of the site away from John Q public as possible and pretend we are hard of hearing!!

Do you really think comp teams can pass a vending inspection from the HD????? If the event charges to get in then we're vending wether we know it or not.

How many people here keep a 5 gallon thermos jug full of hot water on a table with a catch pail and soap and paper towels for hand washing????? You can not use one of the 3 bays for hand washing.

So IMHO ,ost teams could not pass an inspection.

How many people here keep a 5 gallon thermos jug full of hot water on a table with a catch pail and soap and paper towels for hand washing????? You can not use one of the 3 bays for hand washing.

**Raises hand just so Ford dosen't feel all alone.**
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Do you really think comp teams can pass a vending inspection from the HD?

At the Harpoon event in VT (50 team event), 75% or so vend and have to pass a HD inspection. The inspector is no slouch either.

Coming from Memphis BBQ Network Contests and Memphis in May Comp. I've seen a whole lot of crazy crowds and problems. Its the nature of the beast in BBQ. Now that I cook in KCBS I am having more fun than I ever did in Memphis. Back home my team has had full shoulders stolen off the grill (Memphis in May 2004) and fights from other teams areas spilling into ours and knocking things all to hell WITH THE COPS RUNNING IN AND TAZERING PEOPLE LEFT AND RIGHT (Southhaven MS 2008) Thank the BBQ Gods that I have seen none of that kind behavior at contests up here in NY, granted I have only been to 2 since moving here in August.

The crowds always expect freebees from the teams, and there will always be idiots that will try to run off with a slab of ribs or try to steal a free beer. Everyone just has to remember that most of us started out as that crowd, looking across a table at a guy slicing up a brisket, or in my case a 9 year old going to my first Memphis in May and being awe-struck at the smells and sights around me...I made my dad promise me that when I got older we could enter the contest, and low and behold I've been doin it since I was 16. We just can't forget that the crowds bring in more people interested in the sport of BBQ and with out them, for the most part, we don't have contests.

Now back to topic:

Peoples choice and cooker caravan at MIM is by far the best thing I've seen to get the crowds involved.

Peoples choice the crowd pays 4 bucks for 5 samples (dixie cup size) of pulled pork. They vote on which is the best out of their samples...

Cooker Caravan is a tour of 3 team booths. It is free to spectators and is limited to 15 people per tour. Teams elect whether or not to be involved, and what times are best for them. A guide brings the group over for a 12 minute tour and question and answer session at your booth, you don't have to give samples if you don't want to, and it is a great way to connect with the public.

And as for public Ettiqutte, this is what they hand out at MIM to the public...hope it helps:

Before you visit the World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest, there are some things you will need to know. We've tried to sum them up for you in the following:
  1. This is a competition. Local health regulations prohibit teams from serving barbecue to the general public. There are barbecue vendors, as well as other food vendors that can sell to the public.
  2. There are two programs for our patrons that allow them to experience the World Championship as a team or judge would: People's Choice Contest allows John "Que" Public to taste and judge championship barbecue. In this tent, you will receive 5 samples of barbecue each visit and you judge your favorite of those five samples. You may judge as often as you like and the judging fee is $4 per visit. The Cooker's Caravan takes you on a guided tour of the teams and lets you hear first-hand about the team's passion for pork. The team's will tell you about their secrets for grilling championship barbecue, show you their rigs and explain the process of cooking at Memphis in May. There is no charge for the tours and you may tour as often as you like. The tours are available Thursday and Friday every thirty minutes from 11:30am - 3:30pm.
  3. The park is about a mile from end to end. Wear comfortable shoes!
  4. No beverages, bicycles, cans, containers, coolers, food, glass bottles, laser pointers, lawn chairs, oversized umbrellas, pets, roller blades, roller skates, water guns, no thrown objects such as baseballs, footballs, frisbees-etc., or weapons. Food and beverages, including beer, are available from the concessionaires.
  5. All packages and purses are subject to inspection.
  6. Picture I.D.'s will be required from everyone purchasing alcohol.
  7. All food must be purchased with cash. ATM's are available within the Festival site for your convenience.
  8. We welcome many out-of-town visitors. Please let our guest services volunteers know you are our visitor and they will explain all of the rib-tickling entertainment offered

Do you really think comp teams can pass a vending inspection from the HD????? If the event charges to get in then we're vending wether we know it or not.

So IMHO ,ost teams could not pass an inspection.

Almost all of the comps in Cali have People's choice so we have to be able to pass inspection.

We arrange our prep area so that our backs are to the crowd or we are in an enclosed tent area. Mainly because I almost cut someone's fingers off when he reached for a piece of brisket while I was prepping. We do it now to keep me out of jail.

Our team never has a problem with folks hanging out and trying to take our food. We have a sign printed that says: "Be sure and visit the following BBQ Team tents for your free samples: Big T's, Boondoggle, Buster Dog BBQ, Capt. Ron's." Be sure to ask for your complimentary beer!!!"

Seems to work for us

Our team never has a problem with folks hanging out and trying to take our food. We have a sign printed that says: "Be sure and visit the following BBQ Team tents for your free samples: Big T's, Boondoggle, Buster Dog BBQ, Capt. Ron's." Be sure to ask for your complimentary beer!!!"

Seems to work for us

LMAO! :lol::lol:

Almost all of the comps in Cali have People's choice so we have to be able to pass inspection.
We have some peoples choice around here but I really think a number of organizers do not tell the HD about it. I've never been inspected in IL, MI, OH for peoples choice.

We have some peoples choice around here but I really think a number of organizers do not tell the HD about it. I've never been inspected in IL, MI, OH for peoples choice.

We were never health inspected for Peoples Choice per say, the health dept had representatives that took meat temp when it was brought in (whole butt above 141 F)

We then had to break it up at turn in, and turn it back in to them at above 141F... most of us would bring boiling hot sauce in a thermos to bring the heat up...

You should also put in there that peeking in ones smoker is like looking up your Wife's skirt, unless of course your Ok with that, which is fine if that's what your into...
My wife always tells me that she doesn't care who pumps up the tires as long as she get's to ride the bike...

Biggest problems I've had is with reporters and Camber of Commerce employees trying to ask questions and take pictures during turn ins. Organizers should educate their own PR people if you ask me.

It has been commented a few times that HD may not allow free samples or you must pass a HD inspection to do free samples...I question this. Obviously it would depend from county to county, and I'd love to know of counties who actually do this, but the way it would seem to me is that if the contest is on private property, there is free admission to the public, and I am not charging money for the food I am giving away, does a health department have any right to prevent me from doing that? Things can change if it's on public property or you are SELLING food, and I'm sure a HD inspector can make life hard on you, but is there really a law saying I can't give food away?

dmp

If a team cannot pass a health inspection, for basic sanitation, they have no right serving the food to the judges, imo. As far as the vending and advertising championship bbq, most vendors are well decorated competitors and yes there food may not be what they serve for comps, but usually is pretty decent. I know one things certain, I eat what I vend at comps, but I do not eat my comp food.

I think we have to be very careful with the public because the promoter and sponsors that are funding the event are hopeing the public can not only have a good time but within the guidlines of the event ie: team samples, as stated vendor for the most part are not comp teams so the public is all for samples. I think if they know up front there is a small fee and usually half the money goes to charity they are more then happy to ablidge. We are in the process of tring to put together a charity BBQ for a school and we are tring to get the community to come out, this is a very difficult thing during these times. As for carshows and t-shirts they are the things that go good with BBQ and you have to come up with ideas to get the public to come to support the charity of the event. Again just let them know up front
just my .02

Dear Kind Folks,

Uncle Bud and his kin would like to thank ya’ll for letting us compete in this here BBQ cook off. Ifin this is ya’lls first time to one of these cook contest we thought it may help ya to know some things.

We had to pay an entry fee to come here and try to win one of them little plastic trophies. We aint complain in cause we had the money since Junior decided he didn’t need to get this teeth straighten since they were all a fallen out anyway. But we really can’t be letting ya try our BBQ. And the folks that are a sellin the BBQ get might mad at us if we did. And we had to buy all of the meat since the twister came and took all the livestock.

Ifin ya got questions bout our cookers or how we make our BBQ just ask. We love to talk about it but not when we’re a trying to get it ready fer the judging. That’s between bout 11am and 1:30pm. Any other time we are glad to talk to ya.

Uncle Bud

Copy, paste, sent to Kinkos for a banner :lol:

Dear Kind Folks,

Uncle Bud and his kin would like to thank ya’ll for letting us compete in this here BBQ cook off. Ifin this is ya’lls first time to one of these cook contest we thought it may help ya to know some things.

We had to pay an entry fee to come here and try to win one of them little plastic trophies. We aint complain in cause we had the money since Junior decided he didn’t need to get this teeth straighten since they were all a fallen out anyway. But we really can’t be letting ya try our BBQ. And the folks that are a sellin the BBQ get might mad at us if we did. And we had to buy all of the meat since the twister came and took all the livestock.

Ifin ya got questions bout our cookers or how we make our BBQ just ask. We love to talk about it but not when we’re a trying to get it ready fer the judging. That’s between bout 11am and 1:30pm. Any other time we are glad to talk to ya.

Uncle Bud

Thanks to everyone for their views!!!:p Our competition is 10/16 - 17 so I will be pulling this together this weekend. I will make sure a copy is put out on the Brethren. I know this subject has been discussed many times.

Nelsonville had 18 teams last year and we sported a good crowd of well behaved public on the Public Square to watch. This year we are looking at 50 teams, and I am sure that the public will increase along with the teams. We have always told people that samples are up to the teams, and we do not advertise them any free food. We are just rying to head off some of the horror stories we hear from everyone.

Our main objective is to teach the public about competitive BBQ. This is our events 13th year and the public is just realizing that we are here. We are not sure if this is good or bad but we will handle it either way.

Back