BBQ Brethren "Summer Hors d'ouevres and Cocktails" Throwdown!

So what's the dif between a horse de oov-rez and an appetizer anyway? Besides the funny language.

For appetizers, ya just show up and eat and drink. For hors d'oeuvres, ya gotta be swave and daboner.

Thanks guys for the clarification. And caseydog, you're right about age. No way I'm posting anything incriminating on a public forum. I'll be sure to make up for the non-alcoholic aspect, hopefully, since as I hear beer is the best way to wash down BBQ :)

Thanks guys... hope to give something a whirl Friday night....

Allright, I'm gonna have to play nazi bartender on this one I can tell.

BRING IT ON!!! WE'VE GOT LOTS OF THESE!!!

final_dilly_bar_.jpg

Ooooo, ... I likey! A pink one will look nice in my collection. Unfortunately, I'm 300 miles from the nearest Optigrill. I might have to mess up in some other way.

Oddly enough, because of this Throwdown I found out that the Baker Research Facility does not have any cockail glasses.:doh: We do have lots of other glasswares though like beakers, test tubes, flasks, condensors, distillers (don't tell anyone), rotary evaporators, stopcocks (my wife's favorite), vacuum bells, etc and so forth.

So naturally I went to my wife to inquire as to what sort of glasswares she may know of in areas outside of the laboratory. It turns out that we do have a variety of shakers to make mixed drinks in (I guess we've always been plenty happy putting them in whatever cup or glass is handy at the time)!:laugh: Actually, to be honest, sometimes we just put a straw in the shaker!:redface: We also have a variety of wine and champagne glasses/flutes. We have some beer steins, and then of course there's my wife's somewhat large shot glass collection she's been building since before we even met, but she told me I am not allowed to touch them under any circumstance or something like that, I don't really recall her exact words because I wasn't paying any attention.

I suppose between our lack of cocktail glasses, but our abundance of shakers, wine glasses, steins and shot glasses, an outsider could probably easily tell exactly how high-society we really are!:redface:

But I would not let this simple problem keep me from this Throwdown!:cop: I can still make a cocktail, just like I always have, I'm just going to have to improvise on either the serving glass, or the production of the cocktail, or both!:becky:

I tried in vain to find some Horse Doves, but then caseydog mentioned we could just make appetizers instead. Appetizers are no problem!:thumb:

So, without further adieu...

For your drinking pleasure this evening, may I please recommend your chef's very own personal creation. This is a 4 ounce Cocktail Shooter made by adding a Maraschino Cherry to the glass and then filling to the 1/2oz line with Grenadine, then filled to the 2oz line with Black Raspberry Schnapps, and then topped with Southern Comfort.

Since this is our chef's own personal creation, he decided to name it after a mix of his "screen name" while also acknowledging the drinks "small" size because it is a "shot", albeit a rather "large" shot at that. Thus he has named the drink the "Biggie Smalls Shooter".
gangster-452.gif

r_IMG_0997.jpg

r_IMG_0998.jpg

r_IMG_0999.jpg

For our appetizers this evening we have Mini Sweet Pepper Boats filled with a creamy and savory blend of crumbled Gorgonola and Cream Cheese infused with minced Garlic, minced Onion and fresh cracked Black Pepper. The Pepper Boat is then rolled up in a thick slice of Hickory Smoked Bacon and grilled to a perfectly crisp Bacon exterior with a tender Roasted Pepper and warm, soft, creamy, savory Cheese interior. At this point a tender and juicy slice of fresh grilled Tenderloin Steak is wrapped over the Pepper Boat and drizzled with Balsamic Glaze.
r_IMG_0991.jpg

r_IMG_0993.jpg

r_IMG_0995.jpg

r_IMG_1000.jpg

r_IMG_1001.jpg

r_IMG_1002.jpg

I hope you enjoy your evening here at the Baker Research Facility Cocktail Party with our lovely food and drink, and if you need anything else please don't hesitate to ask.

Wow, you can cook, when you try. Those stuffed peppers look great.

Of course, serve you guests enough of those shooters, and they'll eat anything -- even SPAM.

CD

I just finished typing up my menu for this TD. Gotta do some shopping. I should be posting in the next couple of days.

CD

Back