My oh my, tuna with salmon candy for dessert! :hungry:

(and Paul, I'd seriously suggest eating that avocado. I wish I'd done that with my squirrel before he learned how to use the Shuns. It sounds like your avocado already has gone bad).

Something was doublely fishy with this entry. I decided to make Blackened Tuna along with Blackened Sea Scallops, Grilled Asparagus and Grilled Romaine.

First some blackened seasoning...

BlackenedTuna1.jpg

The "fishy" part of the equation, Yellowfin Tuna and Sea Scallops...

BlackenedTuna2.jpg

The Weber Genesis going stong with the Cast Iron of Tuna and the Weber Kettle with the Grilled Asparagus and Grilled Romaine...

BlackenedTuna4.jpg

BlackenedTuna3.jpg

The plated meal of Blackened Yellowfin Tuna cooked to medium rare along with Blackened Sea Scallops, Grilled Asparagus and Grilled Romaine...

BlackenedTuna5.jpg

Thanks for looking! Please use the last photo as my entry photo.

Wow, lots of entries at the last hours. Lot's of tuna, too.

There was this place in Dallas years ago that served Chicken Fried Tuna as one of its signature dishes, and it was farking awesome.

I still remember the first time I grilled tuna. WAY overcooked it, and it was dry as cotton.

CD

Seafood and rice just seem to go together. For this one, I made a sweet rice with coconut milk. I wrapped it up in banana leaves

IMG_4873.jpg

and tossed it on the grill with some shrimp that I'd marinated in satay seasoning

IMG_4874.jpg

The reason for this step was to form a socarrat on the outside of the rice. In the meantime, the weather was great, so we cooked some hot dogs.

IMG_4903.jpg

Nothing fishy about that!

IMG_4902.jpg

but there was something fishy about someone's hot dog. :roll:

IMG_4905.jpg

When we finished the appetizers, we got to the main course. I opened up those banana leaves and served the shrimp and a sprinkling of toasted coconut on top.

IMG_4889.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Since I have no idea if e will access this in the near future, I'll answer, yes. Actually the rice was a big hit. I don't exactly know what she did, but it was coconut-milk infused, then the banana leaves also imparted their flavor. It was a delicate flavor, but that is good as it didn't compete with the shrimp. These rice pods were cooked different lengths of time on the grill. The socarrat on the longest-grilled formed a beautiful shell. I gobbled that down before we even thought of photographing it. :doh:

I confess that I do not know what a socarrat is so I looked at Wikipedia. The answer is.

Socarrat refers to fired clay tiles covered with a white base and generally painted in red and black. These were placed between beams and joists in buildings’ ceilings and eaves. Their origin is typically medieval but subsequent production of these objects is known, mainly in Valencia. There are other words to name objects with similar function such as rajola, maó prim, atovó or cairó. The first register about its existence takes us back to 1604, when D. Feliciano de Figueroa, Bishop of Segorbe, refers to a group of roof and wall tiles written and coloured with koranic transcripts. Traditionally, they’re said to come from Paterna but the presence of these and other similar objects has been documented too in Manises and in some other places in Valencia, Aragon and Catalonia. [1]

I sure hope you weren't planning to build with this stuff. Then I looked further.

Socarrat can also refer to the crust that forms on the bottom of the pan when cooking paella.

Back