BBQ Brethren "Pulled" Throwdown!

I've been thinking about this one a few days and have an idea I like. Especially the last part where I Deguerre it with a finish I read in one of his posts last year.

Is pouring milk on cereal considered cooking? :confused:

That's about all I know how to do. If your washin' machine breaks I can fix it but I do not know how to use one.

LuzziAnn does the prep and dishes. I just smoke and take pic's. Lucky Girl!

We're in on this one but alot of pullin' involved....

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Quack.

I made a great breakfast while my mom was visiting. We were out of eggs so I came up with something else -- potato chunks and duck skin fried in duck fat with warmed up smoked lamb. Mmmmmm. Great way to start a day of hard work.

Pepper Stoutless Beef Sammies (Root Beer Beef)

All the pepper stout beef threads lately got us hungry for some of our own.

Wanted to go down a different path this time around. Used some Henry Weinhards root beer in place of the stout. The kids love "root beer in the bottle" so I figured I'd make 'em happy with some "Root Beer Beef."

My youngest, Max (he's almost 3), gathered the ingredients. Here's what we brought home from the store...where, by the way, we said "hi" to every living soul (gotta work on that whole not talking to strangers thing). We've already seasoned the 2.5# chukie with montreal steak at this point...
061.jpg

069.jpg

Max then helped get the KBB from the bag to the smoker joe...
073-1.jpg

081.jpg

After an hour over oak and cherry chunks...
111.jpg

The peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic, beef base and root beer into the DO..
108.jpg

After the first hour of cooking the DO went on bottom rack of mini, under the chuck roast.
119.jpg

Then after another hour, the chuckie went into the pool with everything else. Stayed in there until it probed tender.
124.jpg

Chuckie getting ready for a short rest before it's pulled...
139.jpg

After pulling...
148.jpg

The pulled beef went back into the DO to stay warm until dinner. Served the beef on potato buns topped with bread and butter pickles (added a great texture to the sammie). Served with some roasted sweet potatoes and onions and some more Henry's...(This is the entry pic).
159.jpg

161.jpg

"Root Beer Beef" was some good stuff!! Not a huge difference from when we make it with our standard Black Butte Porter. We did decide that I should've toasted the buns...next time.

We purchased a big lump of pork somewhere in the region of a Boston Butt, and we made a rub from scratch because there are no rubs for sale within a 4 hour jet ride.
No slather, we applied the rub 2 hours before cooking and we applied it direct to the pork.
BostonRub.jpg

Next, we fired up the BSKeg and got it over some hickory and let the magic begin.
BostonButtON.jpg

TFO had caught the spirit of the novelty of the event for me and armed me with sufficient supplies...what a woman!
IMG_1588.jpg

In case anything went pair shape
IMG_1589.jpg

We were covered all ways
IMG_1591.jpg

Oaxaca Salsa to get blended, I used some pork fat from the trim and heated it till it melted, then fried up garlic and smoked chilies from a few summers ago, just until they darkened.I also used cilantro(fresh) and a few other seasonings and blended it up into a tomatillo based heavenly spicy salsa
IMG_1592.jpg

Blended up and ready to eat

Salsaoaxaca.jpg

The pork came off looking pretty good for my second time, I cannot complain about the tenderness, texture or taste so voila
IMG_1594.jpg

Silky soft smokey pork!
IMG_1595.jpg

No way am I wasting that pork skin, and we have a new favorite way to make taco's in our house! :heh:
PPTaco2.jpg

This is my official entry and money shot please:redface:
PPTaco2-1.jpg

Cracklin to make a slender woman weep!:heh:
Cracklindegallo1.jpg

Cracklinsalsa.jpg

Our Pulled Pork taco will forever get repeated!

Wholly Cow!!!! I'm really impressed with those 2 entries! Hopefully more to come... but I'm sitting this one out!

Cheers!

Bill

Back