BBQ Brethren Masters Cut #6 - CHUCK ROAST!!! (ends Sunday night 8/21 at midnight US Central)

I was a Baaaaadddd boy... :oops: I smoked a 6 pound top blade roast today.... unfortunately, last night I was running my butt off doing honey-do things. Without thinking about it, I grabbed the roast, made a quick injection and a rub, shot it up and rubbed it, wrapped it and stuck it in the fridge..... and then realized I'd broken the rules already. No picture of the raw meat. :tsk: I figured, "what the heck" and planned on taking a picture before it went in the smoker. WRONG!!!! I got so involved in building my tamale pot Smoky Joe that I forgot to take a picture of the roast AGAIN! :doh: So, long story short.. I smoked it, pulled it and ate it! I guess I'll have to get another roast and try again (twist my arm!!) :icon_smile_tongue:

I was a Baaaaadddd boy... :oops: I smoked a 6 pound top blade roast today.... unfortunately, last night I was running my butt off doing honey-do things. Without thinking about it, I grabbed the roast, made a quick injection and a rub, shot it up and rubbed it, wrapped it and stuck it in the fridge..... and then realized I'd broken the rules already. No picture of the raw meat. :tsk: I figured, "what the heck" and planned on taking a picture before it went in the smoker. WRONG!!!! I got so involved in building my tamale pot Smoky Joe that I forgot to take a picture of the roast AGAIN! :doh: So, long story short.. I smoked it, pulled it and ate it! I guess I'll have to get another roast and try again (twist my arm!!) :icon_smile_tongue:
:doh:

Don't worry though, you CAN still enter technically.

First off though, the raw meat shot does not have to be just plain raw meat, so the shot before adding it the cooker would have counted.:thumb:

The rule for the raw meat pic is below, I highlighted in red the section pertaining to this particular case:

5a. A picture of your CHUCK ROAST in RAW form. This can be in or out of package, seasoned or not, the choice is up to you. You can take this shot to show off the marbling or other general quality of the meat, or to show off the seasoning or other aplications you perform on the raw meat. Whatever you think gives you the greatest edge in voting to show off your meat in raw form is what you should submit. The meat itself or the pre-cook preparation you do can be very attractive and is the reason this photo requirement is here, to encourage these kinds of photos and maybe even to allow you a chance to develop or sharpen your skills at taking such photos.

However, since you've now started cooking it, you are breaking the rules. If you post your pics anyway, you could still make it into the voting under the "Biggie/KnucklHed Short Bus Clause", which I have listed below for your reference so you can decide if you would still like to enter or not.

*** DISQUALIFICATION and the KnucklHed/Bigabyte Short Bus Clause ***
If a dish is found to not follow these rules and is being considered for disqualification, I will take into consideration your entry as a whole along with your intentions and effort. If I find your entry, effort or intentions pleasing enough then I reserve the right to invoke the KnucklHed/Bigabyte Short Bus Clause and allow the entry into voting, but the entry will be placed in the "Short Bus" section. However, if your entry is not found worthy of the "Short Bus Clause" then it will be DISQUALIFIED.

I realized that last night after reading the rules again, but I got busy busy and neglected the photo before it went on. So at that point I decided that I'll do another one for the Master Cuts. It appears that so far there's only one entry, so I have some time to do another.

I am in

4lbs Chuck roast from BJ's Wholesale.

DSCF9916.jpg

Seasoned with Yardbird and Oakridge BBQ's Santa Maria Steak Seasoning with a light coating of Blacks BBQ rub.

On the WSM

DSCF9920.jpg

And ready to serve.....

DSCF9922.jpg

DSCF9923.jpg

Because TD's aren't about winning, I present my chuck roast:

We had a small 2.25# chuck in the freezer for a while. I pulled it out and had to trim a little freezer burn off. :sad: But, not to bad, here is what I ended up with:
P1000342.JPG

As you can see, my plan was to season it up with some Bovine Bold with a das of Rub Co Santa Maria on top.
P1000343.JPG

Onto a 250* drum with some nice Oak smoke. Tiny little chuck, but a good size for just the wife and I. I could probably use a mini-UDS.
P1000345.JPG

8 hours later, boy did it shrink up, but looking good:
P1000348.JPG

I like to sliced my chuck and pretend it is brisket. :-D
P1000352.JPG

It was a little dry - nothing a little sauce didn't fix. It is going to make some killer tacos tomorrow night. :becky:

And, although sides aren't allowed in the Master's, just ignore this pic. This is a side of potatoes, yellow/red peppers, and onions cooked with a little EVO and seasoned with SM Season All.

P1000359.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Here is my humble submission. I love chuck roasts and usually cook them up into a stout pepper beef that is fantastic. Sadly I just made this a couple weeks ago and really didn't feel like making it again. While I like to be creative with stuff, it just fit to keep these chuckies simple. I did try something a little new as someone posted in the forum recently that they made burnt ends out of chuck roasts. Thus, I made up some traditional pulled beef as well as some burnt ends.

Here are the 2 roasts I used. They are on the small side as I usually cook for two and hate to have leftovers that go uneaten. I first hit them with some Bovine Bold and let them sit for a bit in the fridge while I got the drum going. I then added another layer of salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and a bit of montreal seasoning.

IMAG0379.jpg

Then on to the UDS. I started them off nice and slow around 200-225* then bumped it up to 300-325*.

IMAG0395.jpg

I managed to avoid some area thunderstorms and pulled them when they were done.

IMAG0393.jpg

IMAG0408.jpg

I wrapped and rested one and took the other one inside. It was cubed up and put in a pan with a mixture of Blue's Hog Original and Night of the Living BBQ. Many have had BH and know of its sweet and tangy flavor. Night of the Living BBQ is from one of the best local BBQ places, Oklahoma Joes. It has a good kick and a lingering heat. These two sauces go great together and have become my new favorite for beef and pork sammies.

IMAG0413.jpg

IMAG0414.jpg

After the burnt ends had been back on for 2 hours I pulled them and took the resting chuck out of the cooler to be pulled.

IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0420.jpg

And finally, the end result. The pulled beef had great flavor and was very tender. It was even better on the sammie with a little sauce. The burnt ends came out even better. Even with a crunchy bark and "burnt" sauce, they remained very tender. A buddy happened to stop by (I think his BBQ radar was sounding an alarm) and he had no idea that the burnt ends were any different from when I normally make them out of brisket points. He even thought they might be better.

DSCN0880.jpg

Well here's my hat into the ring. It was a cook of several firsts for me.

This was the first chuck I had ever done as it is not a cut that you see very often here north of the border, at least where I used to live. Now that I am 15 minutes away from a US wally world I knew I'd have access to some of the riches y'all enjoy.

IMG_20110807_131957.jpg

I seasoned it up with a heavy coat of Bovine Bold, then hit it again after the first lot had been absorbed by the meat.
IMG_20110807_132323.jpg

This was my first low and slow attempt with my egg. It was given to me by my mother as a housewarming/birthday present back in May and all I've really used it for has been hot and fast and/or baking. In any event I was hoping to cook around 225-250 but I over shot that and ended up cooking between 275-300.
IMG_20110807_144849.jpg

I had set it up with the plate setter and had what I thought was a great idea to put a pan with some beer and aromatics underneath the meat to catch the juices and form the basis of a sauce. Well as you can see it was a beautiful day and I got distracted.
IMG_20110804_130123.jpg
IMG_20110807_144837.jpg

When I went to check on the meat a few hours later I was treated to a black carbonized mess. However, no pics so I guess it didn't happen! :thumb::becky:

Now here's where things went a wrong since apparently I didn't read the master's cut instructions well enough and I may just be the first chucklehead on the short bus. :doh:

Here is my grill shot
IMG_20110807_172709.jpg

Internal temp was around 160 when I foiled. You can just make out the edge of the egg grill. :roll:

Here is my completed dish, which may or may not be too heavy on the "extras"
IMG_20110807_191401.jpg

It was sauced with a combo of BH Original and Tennessee Red along with some other embellishments. There was some beer flavor in the completed product so the beer in a pan wasn't a complete failure. It did not suck.

Thanks for looking! :thumb:

Is it too late to enter?

I was cleaning out my deep freezer earlier this week and found two chuck roasts left over from the side of beef we bought last fall from Bichelmeyer's Meats, and I thought to myself, "I haven't made pulled beef in a while, so now's a great time to make some!" So, I tossed the two roasts in my catering fridge and let them thaw out in preparation for smoking them yesterday. And here's how it went...

Roasts & Rub....
5895058908_3800888813_b.jpg

A little yeller' mustard...
5895059040_dda4ec55ff_b.jpg

Smooth it around and apply some Oakridge BBQ Competition Beef & Pork rub...
5894493089_c11deb8ea9_b.jpg

5894493251_3540840d2d_b.jpg

After the meat's rubbed on all sides, I went out and started getting my 22½" WSM ready to go. Note, there are two charcoal grates in the bottom; the original one that came with the WSM on the bottom and a second one from my 22½" kettle grill set inside the fire ring and oriented 90º from the one below it. This helps keep the lump charcoal from falling through the grates...
5895059544_1897307e2b_b.jpg

5894493499_b2a082f5f6_b.jpg

Here's how I build my fire... First, I set a few fist-sized hunks of hickory around on the fire grate. These hunks are dry, I NEVER soak my cooking wood...
5894493617_9fa9148399_b.jpg

Next, in goes the unlit lump. I make sure to leave a hollowed out spot right next one of the intake vents and I also make sure one of my hunks of hickory is situated there as well. There's about 10-12 lbs of unlit lump in the ring...
5895059940_d595937826_b.jpg

Now, it's time to light a half-chimney of lump. If you don't have one of these, and you use propane for anything around the house, you should really think about getting one. It's a "Light My Fire" brand ferro rod and striker set, otherwise know as a firesteel, and you can get them here...
5895060042_2622d3ef0d_b.jpg

5895060138_03147acc97_b.jpg

When the lump is going good, dump it into the little hollow you built.
5894494163_c8bb27d8de_b.jpg

There is a very specific reason I've built the fire this way... Lump burns hotter than briquettes and it's prone to lighting all at once instead of lighting slowly and burning across (Minion method) which causes your pit temps to soar out of control. The way I've found to combat that problem and still use lump charcoal (because I hate briquettes and refuse to use them) is to build your fire like above. The lit lump gets dumped into the unlit right in front of an intake vent. You leave that vent slightly open and then completely shut the other two. This will only allow oxygen to be fed into the lit spot and helps prevent the rest of the lump from igniting all at once. Using this method, I was able to maintain a steady 235º top grate temp for over 6 hours.

I use sand in my water pan, so I needed to replace the foil cover before I put my WSM together the rest of the way...
5895058790_bce4c7bb73_b.jpg

5894494047_8cbc37fdeb_b.jpg

The grill has been assembled, vents set and now it's keeping a steady temp. Time to put the meat on...
5894494401_8c3eba45ce_b.jpg

The rub has setup nicely, time to put them on the grill...
5895060814_061a310944_b.jpg

5894494639_7ef2fb44a1_b.jpg

Here's a shot at the one hour mark, starting to look juicy...
5894495241_b34f2f72e3_b.jpg

5895061344_cbedb1498c_b.jpg

I think this was about 3½ hours in, I just flipped them over...
5895061578_1ab486d6ce_b.jpg

5895061854_b8b7104db3_b.jpg

Bark is starting to form nicely...
5894495475_4e909a26f2_b.jpg

'Bout another hour and they hit 165º internal and I wrapped them in foil and continued cooking them until they hit about 190º. I let them rest a while then they were pulled. Gonna' make some damn fine sandwiches....
5895062040_a4fb7db261_b.jpg

Thanks for lookin...

Fark, I think this is going to be over before I can even play. I don't suppose I can do a Chuckie on a UBS without crushing it. Entries look great so far.

Well, unless we get 4 more entries by Friday, it will be open until at least 8/21. Entries are coming in pretty quick though, so one a day between now and Friday is definitely possible making it end this upcoming Sunday.

Wow. Those are two great entries. :thumb:

FattyMac, I don't care if it was a carbonized mess. The results look tasty. I would hit that. :hungry:

kcmike, those are awesome photos. I can almost taste it.

Back