BBQ Brethren "Let's Do the Tubesteak Boogie!" (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Beanie Weenie Tubesteak Delight!

Official entry!

Well, started a pound and a half of dried navy beans and a 12 oz hunk of salt pork cubed to make pork and beans last night around 9:00 PM in the slow cooker. Turned them off at 5:30 and drained. (Got a whole quart of bean broth!!!) Now, they're cooling in the fridge to firm up for step two...

This is gonna make a nice soup next week...

Rummage rummage rummage...tomato sauce and paste, check. Brown sugar and molassas, check. Onion? Onion? Onion, check. Dijon mustard, ketchup, both check. Double D's hot bbq sauce, check. Bacon, thick sliced, check. Wait! Hometruckin reminded me I was forgetting the Colemans...Check.

OK. Sauce is mixed and on simmer. Initial taste confirms a good tanginess with a wee bite and just enough sweet. We'll see how it is after the sugar has a chance to melt into the sauce and blend.

Added onion and simmered about an hour...

Well OK! Beans...

Add the sauce and mix a bit...

Gonna use one of these when I bake them on the kettle. They're more expensive than the standard disposable pans, but the reinforcment and handles are well worth it for something like this...

The other ingredients...

into the beans and layer some bacon...

And onto the kettle with some KF Comp and a few chunks of hickory for smoke during the bake...

[URL="http://s1041.photobucket.com/user/redhot696/media/Guerry%20TD/pan6_zps836f8fdc.jpg.html"][/URL]

Got the kettle settled in at 300.

After about an hour everything was cooked through including the bacon.

Wasn't browned at the cooking temp though

So, a couple minute cheat under the broiler...

A little rest, time to do the buttered toasted buns.

We have buttered toast...

And Beanie Weenie Tubesteak Delight...

Ofit'al TD pic...

Time to eat!

Ah now Boogie Woogie Baby......Boogie Woogie all Night Long. My entry with some double smoked Kielbasa and an assortment of goodies and beer.

100_1751-1.jpg

Cooking away on my new 1983 WGA....Yes, Yes........YES!!! I did it I got it dirty........:twitch: I have no regrets I tell you NONE!!!!!!! She cooks great...:becky:
100_1752-1.jpg

Now onto the show. Couldn't leave out my custom tiger strip LP with the Pearly Gates pickups from Seymour Duncan......Ah how how how how...
100_1753.jpg

And the Official Money Shot.............The Tube Steak Boogie.......12" long Kielbasa grilled to perfection and then laced with goodies..."had to..... sack outside Lagrange......hear what I'm talkin' bout"
100_1755.jpg

Official Entry

I went back to New Jersey for this TD, with some Italian Sausage and Peppers.

First, a look at the ingredients...

picture.php

I grilled the sausages first, with some help from my sous chef, psyco-poodle.

picture.php

White the sausages cooked, I got my mise en place ready for the rest of the cook.

picture.php

I took the sausages off to rest before cutting. Don't want to lose those juices.

picture.php

While the sausages rested, the veggies are cooked in my trusty Griswold #8.

picture.php

When the veggies are just about done, the cut up sausages join them in the skillet.

picture.php

Some people make sandwiches out of sausage and peppers, and some serve it with pasta. All I need is some crusty bread on the side, and I'm happy.

Money shot.

picture.php

CD

Sweet! Are those the Kroger brand Johnsonville knock offs? They're pretty darn good. The Italian ones anyway, which is all I get.

I can't decide if you guys are better cooks or photographers. I am going to need a new camera if I am going to continue to enter these throwdowns.

Anyhoo, here's my official tubesteak entry: My homemade brisket hotlink, served cervelat style (notched ends), with creole slaw, candied jalapenos, candied vidalia onions, and and a Covington Bock.

picture.php

I can't decide if you guys are better cooks or photographers. I am going to need a new camera if I am going to continue to enter these throwdowns.

That's actually a pretty darned good photo, IMO. I wish there were more of them, and more of a description. I'd like to read and see how you made that fine looking meal. I can't taste your food, so I can only go by what I see and read.

I don't think you need a new camera. I think little extra effort would be a WAY better investment. That is a good looking meal. Show and tell me how you made it.

CD

Hmmm. Thanks for the advice. I'll work on that. Since I don't have pics of the whole cook, here's a summary:

I make my own pickled and candied condiments. Candied jalapenos and Vidalia onions are one of my favorites.

The sausage is a recipe that I created after attending the Houston Rodeo last year. I wanted a Texas-style hot link. I took a whole Black Angus Brisket and ground it up. I seasoned it with black pepper, paprika, chili pepper, cumin, thyme, and oregano.

A few years ago I saw a show on TV about cervelat. There was a shortage of this popular Swiss sausage after the EU banned the importation of Brazilian beef casings. It is traditional to notch the ends at the end of smoking to get to split: See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervelat

I thought it looked neat, so I do it sometimes.

Hmmm. Thanks for the advice. I'll work on that. Since I don't have pics of the whole cook, here's a summary:

I make my own pickled and candied condiments. Candied jalapenos and Vidalia onions are one of my favorites.

The sausage is a recipe that I created after attending the Houston Rodeo last year. I wanted a Texas-style hot link. I took a whole Black Angus Brisket and ground it up. I seasoned it with black pepper, paprika, chili pepper, cumin, thyme, and oregano.

A few years ago I saw a show on TV about cervelat. There was a shortage of this popular Swiss sausage after the EU banned the importation of Brazilian beef casings. It is traditional to notch the ends at the end of smoking to get to split: See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cervelat

Those condiments sound great. If you haven't already, you should do some O-Talk threads on making them. If you have already, I need to find them.

I love to make my own rubs and sauces. Homemade condiments would be pretty awesome to add to my refrigerated supplies.

I hope you keep entering lots of throwdowns. Just show us more. We love to see your food, but we really love seeing HOW you made your entry. It is how we become better cooks.

CD

I've never felt as strongly as CD does about needing more information, cook thread etc etc.... But I must admit knowing these new tid bits about your cook makes an already great entry that much better and yes I now want more more more......

I'm a sucker for bread!

Me too!!

Thanks for the info on the cervelat, I was going to ask for more info on it, too.

I love seeing step by step in the TD posts -- especially where it is something new to me or the cook has done something I've been wanting to do myself. I know it takes a lot of time to record it in pics and explain in the thread, I tend to post long cooks, but the information that is passed on this way makes us all better at what we love to do. Eat! :oops: No, sorry, COOK! I think your photos are way better than many that I posted before getting my new camera last January. There's a photography thread in the TD section, there's a lot of good info in it. It's amazing what good technique can pull out of a mediocre (or less) camera.

Official Entry into the "Let's Do The Tubesteak Boogie" Throwdown.

This is my official TD entry titled, "Hawt Dawg, I gotta get lunch on quick!"

Thanks, Hometruckin, for calling a TD that lends itself to 'easy and quick' to help me get my toe back in these TDs. I miss you smokeheads. :redface:

Had to make lunch quick so just for the heck of it looked at the TD in progress to see if it could work for an entry as well as a quick meal. Tubesteak boogie, yahoo, here I come!

All done with what was already in the fridge and freezer. No hot dog buns but had some long, sweet, red peppers. Maybe they could be a bun of sorts, could be a cool alternative for the carb-avoiding crowd. Peppers brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with granulated garlic. Potatoes pre-cooked to soften slightly and brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with granulated garlic. Cauliflower brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with a Caribbean all purpose spice blend. Wieners are nitrate-free.

On the grill.

Mine made up with corn relish and dijon mustard. Please use the photo directly below for voting.

I learned two things in this cook. One, cauliflower needs to be pre-cooked to almost tender before grilling. Two, next time I use long peppers for hot dog buns I should leave the stem navel in place to help the pepper retain shape better and I need to pull it from the grill earlier. An 'al dente' pepper would have been better than these flaccid ones. I cut them lengthwise on the short side (less spread to start with) and I think that was a good idea -- if the stem navel was still intact and they were cooked less I think they may have substituted for buns better. Tasted great anyhow.

Thanks for looking!

Back