BBQ Brethren "Let's Do it Aussie Style" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

rabbit5.jpg

rabbit2.jpg

This looks like a fine smoking job, Bluetang! I also appreciate the play by play of a new smoke and your comments on texture and taste. There's a rabbitry close by our place, I try on and off to work up the nerve to buy one and smoke it. It's tough for me, I had a pet rabbit when I was a kid named Grover, maybe smoking pieces would be easier. Seeing your smoke helped me get my head around it a little more. Thanks for that.

Starter is served!
brethAussieTD14_zps6bfd93b4.jpg

A platter full of lamb and veges- ENTRY SHOT!
brethAussieTD10_zpsf6b8f6e8.jpg

Buccs, I love those snags in pastry, I will be doing that for sure. Love the spicy goodness sauce idea, too. Wonderful platter, lamb looks divine, my first gander at a roo steak, too. Really dark red meat, no wonder it's high in iron and nutrition. I would need a nap after that, too. Delicious!

:oops: This is my shame, not cooked outside but inside, in the oven.

Wasn't able to get it done outside in time for an official TD entry -- here is my Assie meal. Split pea soup and damper. The damper is made with dark ale instead of milk. Is this how damper is supposed to look? It was really soft and light inside and the crust was beautifully crunchy, reminiscent of saltine crackers in texture and taste.

P1010645_zpse67f7b81.jpg

P1010649_zps0a24d335.jpg

P1010654_zps6179d060.jpg
DROOL!
Kathy, the damper from your description sounds perfect.
It is crusty to the point of being hard enough to crack, like ashell, yet light inside.
Out bush, we do them in the fire's coals, they come out black and tan and hard shelled but strangely yummy, and the inside is soft light and perfect .
We often eat it with butter and jam (jelly) too.
Ill have apricot...or strawberry...or Raspberry...or just butter.
I'm homesick now...

MS2SB -- those lamb chops look delicious, I like that you prepared them two ways. Did you have a favourite? I've not thought to use lemon zest in a meat marinade or rub but I think it's a good idea and I like what you did. Good carrots, too, I don't remember seeing Bill's post. Don't eat shrimp, sorry I can't comment on them. The rest looks delicious!

Thanks Kathy! I think if I took an objective approach to this, the oil blend would win out. It's more of a purist approach that lets the lamb shine through. However, something in me loves the dijon slather. I think it's because that's how my mom made lamb chops when I was a kid. We never ate porkchops because my dad keeps somewhat kosher, so she always made lamb blade and shoulder chops instead. Serve some of those up with a little rice-a-roni and I'm back at the kitchen table as a 10-year old.

Back