BBQ Brethren "It Came from the Sea" Throwdown!

You've got an audience Bill!
I think I'd eat this fish right off the grill...

DSC_0097.jpg

I'm lovin' that glaze Ty. Do you go by measurements or just eyeball it?

Usually if I'm trying something new, I go by measurement, so that when it's done I know what to adjust. After trying it, that glaze needed double the amount of honey I put in. I've been cooking long enough now I'm starting to get more comfortable (and accurate) eyeballing something.

Was that a typo? Six pounds? Snapper?

I love red snapper, and off the Texas coast, the snapper we caught started at 20 pounds and went up from there.

Maybe you meant to say he gave you a six pound filet off of a snapper.

Are snapper really that small downunder? This is what gulf snapper looks like...

picture.php

CD

That looks like my favorite gold fish I had as a kid

Well there are quite a few different species of Snapper CD... Mind you, this one you have shown here is a very fine specimen... even if the Snapper this Bastard caught is nearly as fat as he is!!!!:heh:

The one I did is about medium size for this particular species of Snapper. I have not really heard of them being more than 20lb...

Cheers!

Bill

BTW, I wasn't disrespecting your fish, I was just surprised. I posted before I saw your photo. It is a nice looking snapper. I wish I could get them that size, actually.

They can get as big as 50 pounds, although that is pretty rare. We used to fish around the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, in deep water. 20 pounds was not unusual there. I guess I just assumed they were all that size. Live and learn.

CD

BTW, I wasn't disrespecting your fish, I was just surprised. I posted before I saw your photo. It is a nice looking snapper. I wish I could get them that size, actually.

They can get as big as 50 pounds, although that is pretty rare. We used to fish around the oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, in deep water. 20 pounds was not unusual there. I guess I just assumed they were all that size. Live and learn.

CD

C'mon CD you should know that everything is bigger in Texas :thumb:

Redhot's Surf-N-Surf Birthday Dinner

I've been craving some seafood and thought my birthday was the perfect excuse to splurge a bit. We bought 2 lobster tails and a bag of large scallops to grill up last night. I found a killer marinade/baste recipe to use on the scallops and lobster.
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup olive oil
2 tbsp. lemon juice

marinade-8.jpg

I let the scallops sit in this marinade while everything else was prepared

marinated-2.jpg

I heated up a jar of Classico Alfredo with added fresh parsley, black pepper and red pepper flakes to drizzle over some fettuccine.

alfredo.jpg

Grilled up some asparagus and made a parsley and lemon butter dip for the lobster.

asparagus-1.jpg

dip-1.jpg

Now for the tails...

tails-2.jpg

Time to try my first attemp at butterflying a lobster tail. Guerry did the first one and I did the second one.

tails1.jpg

Wow, that is a pretty presentation! I brushed the marinade on the underside of the meat before laying it on top of the shell. Then a generous brushing on top.

tails2.jpg

tails4.jpg

Grill time! The scallops went on first.

grill-5.jpg

grill2-3.jpg

Then the lobster, meat side down first for a few minutes...

grill3-3.jpg

The flipped and grilled for about another 5-7 minutes (didn't time it).

grill4-1.jpg

The fettuccine was drizzled with alfredo sauce and topped with scallops. This was one fantastic birthday meal. We had a glass of wine to go along with it...and I had to have a few candles too!

plate4-3.jpg

plate-12.jpg

plate2-6.jpg

td.jpg

td2.jpg

I'm actually not sure which one I want to use for the TD pic, this time we were WAY more interested in eating it rather than taking pix of it. And man, was it good!!!

td.jpg

td2.jpg

I'm actually not sure which one I want to use for the TD pic, this time we were WAY more interested in eating it rather than taking pix of it. And man, was it good!!![/quote]

Thats a fine looking Birthday dinner there Red Hot! Definitely "It came from the sea worthy".

Ok, I am confused now. I thought Guerry was supposed to be cooking the birthday dinner :noidea:

Well, I cooked my own birthday dinner (with a little help) because it was a fun thing to do, so why deprive Michele?:becky:

I think I like this shot for the TD as it really showcases the lobster shell and is also a nice angle...

td.jpg

Back