BBQ Brethren "Home Cured and Smoked" Throwdown

Canadian Bacon. Wet Cure, Oak Smoke... Delish!

WOW... I'm done!

I wish I could run the rest of my life like I run my smoker.
I'd be unbelievable.
Unfortunately, because I run my smoker so well, the rest of my life has
taken a bit of a back seat lately.... But, if you know us Aussies well
enough.... it doesn't farkin' matter. You gotta do what you love!:thumb:

So, when I saw this TD, I wondered why I'd never thought of it myself:doh:

Anyway... Canadian Bacon doesn't take long, so I'm done.
My first sneak peeks were on Saturday.
I pulled the loin from the cure on Monday night,
and smoked on Tuesday night, and I'm presenting now...
My customers are all wondering where their print jobs are.... farkem!:cool:

Here's the loin after 2 days in the brine:
DSC_0001_1201.jpg

They then we rinsed and patted dry and spent 24 hours in the fridge.
DSC_0003_1203.jpg

Then, into the smoke on my Trusty COS with Lump and Oak
DSC_0004_1204.jpg

Looking good.. nearly done:
DSC_0006_1206.jpg

Done at 150F Internal:
DSC_0007_1207.jpg

Ready for that first slice with my crazy sharp Japanese knife...
DSC_0010_1210.jpg

This is REALLY moist!
DSC_0013_1213.jpg

Here are some plated slices showing the nice moisture from the cut
DSC_0017_1217.jpg

Then my boys and I did a quick fry up...
DSC_0021_1221.jpg

I thought I'd try some food art...
DSC_0022_1222.jpg

Son #2 just couldn't wait...
DSC_0025_1225.jpg

While he was chowing that... I took my throwdown entry pic!
DSC_0026_1226.jpg

And so how does it taste????

Bloody AWESOME.

The only thing I would change would be to add another 10 mins of soak
time just to reduce the saltiness that tiniest touch.
Its got a very well rounded flavour and you can taste the sage and thyme
from the brine.
All in all, this was a great success, as I've never done Canadian Bacon
before... I will be making this a regular thing.. It's just so easy!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers!

Bill

P.S. Gore, does this fix the problem???:cool:

Looks great Bill, and the problem is solved! Let's see if Southern Smoker notices something missing. :wink:

Awesome looking entry Bill! I'd hit that.

Dark Weissbier is bubbling in the carboy and brisket is in the brine. I repeat, brisket is in the brine.

Awesome looking entry Bill! I'd hit that.

Dark Weissbier is bubbling in the carboy and brisket is in the brine. I repeat, brisket is in the brine.

Ooooh Beer! I hope you are using a good quality Nalgene Carboy! You know, you're lucky I used to sell scientific plastics, so I know what a carboy IS. It's not a term used in Australia!

Also, brining a brisket huh! Now that's interesting... Recipe please???

Chers!

Bill

I hope you are using a good quality Nalgene Carboy! You know, you're lucky I used to sell scientific plastics, so I know what a carboy IS. It's not a term used in Australia!
For beer making I use a glass Carboy - it makes it easy to see what is going on with the process and is easier to clean.

Also, brining a brisket huh! Now that's interesting... Recipe please???

Brine curing briskets is very common in the States although most folks buy them already packed in brine from the market. There are two common products resulting from the brining - Corned beef which is boiled after brining and pastrami which is rubbed and then smoked. Corned beef can also be made with a beef round and a pastrami with deckle.

There is some tradition around Irish-American corned beef which is often served with cabbage and associated with St. Patrick's Day. Corned beef and to a lesser extent pastrami are used to make the famous American sadwich - The Reuben which is a hot sandwich with layers of sliced beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing all slapped on a couple of slices of grilled rye bread. My death row meal might just be a juicy Reuben with some home made potato chips and a homebrew.

I went nuts and kicked off by brining a trimmed 4 pound brisket flat cut in a half gallon of crazy brine with half the spice drawer containing:

3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs black peppercorns
1 tsp red peppercorns
1 Tbs whole coriander seed
1 Tbs mustard seeds
1 Tbs allspice berries
1 Tsp juniper berries
1 tsp mace
10 whole cloves
2 fresh bay leaves
1 sprig of thyme
1 slice of ginger
1/2 a cinnamon stick
1 Tbs sodium nitrate (a.k.a. pink salt or Prague pink salt, or curing salt)

I boiled it all, cooled to RT and then added a couple of handfuls of ice, put the brine and the brisket into a cryovac bag, sucked most the air out and sealed it, and threw it in the fridge.

On Saturday I'll soak it in fresh water for 10 hours or so with fresh water changes every 2 to remove excess salt. Then on to the grill!

Reuben here I come.

Bill, that Canadian bacon looks un-fark-abelievably mouth wateringly good! I just drooled all over myself!

For beer making I use a glass Carboy - it makes it easy to see what is going on with the process and is easier to clean.

Brine curing briskets is very common in the States although most folks buy them already packed in brine from the market. There are two common products resulting from the brining - Corned beef which is boiled after brining and pastrami which is rubbed and then smoked. Corned beef can also be made with a beef round and a pastrami with deckle.

There is some tradition around Irish-American corned beef which is often served with cabbage and associated with St. Patrick's Day. Corned beef and to a lesser extent pastrami are used to make the famous American sadwich - The Reuben which is a hot sandwich with layers of sliced beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing all slapped on a couple of slices of grilled rye bread. My death row meal might just be a juicy Reuben with some home made potato chips and a homebrew.

I went nuts and kicked off by brining a trimmed 4 pound brisket flat cut in a half gallon of crazy brine with half the spice drawer containing:

3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs black peppercorns
1 tsp red peppercorns
1 Tbs mustard seeds
1 Tbs allspice berries
1 Tsp juniper berries
1 tsp mace
10 whole cloves
2 fresh bay leaves
1 sprig of thyme
1 slice of ginger
1/2 a cinnamon stick

I boiled it all, cooled to RT and then added a couple of handfuls of ice, put the brine and the brisket into a cryovac bag, sucked most the air out and sealed it, and threw it in the fridge.

On Saturday I'll soak it in fresh water for 10 hours or so with fresh water changes every 2 to remove excess salt. Then on to the grill!

Reuben here I come.

Now this IS extremely interesting. We do have a lot of corned beef here and this has given me an idea. If I go to a butcher and ask him what cut of meat he uses to make corned beef, and he shows me the cut... I'll sure be able to identify that right away if it's a brisket!

Awesome!

Cheers!

Bill

3/4 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs black peppercorns
1 tsp red peppercorns
1 Tbs mustard seeds
1 Tbs allspice berries
1 Tsp juniper berries
1 tsp mace
10 whole cloves
2 fresh bay leaves
1 sprig of thyme
1 slice of ginger
1/2 a cinnamon stick

Reuben here I come.

Like I really care about this corned beef thingy you're doing. Let's talk more about this dark weissbier. Have you made this before? What's it like? Care to share the recipe? I've got 6 fermenters ready to go and the weather is turning cooler.... This website is about finding good foods to have with our beer, isn't it? Can't we talk a bit more about the main course?

Great looking Canadian Bacon, Bill!

Give me a couple of slices of that, a couple of poached eggs, and english muffin and some Hollandaise and I would have a great breakfast :-D :-D :-D

Great looking Canadian Bacon, Bill!

Give me a couple of slices of that, a couple of poached eggs, and english muffin and some Hollandaise and I would have a great breakfast :-D :-D :-D

Is that a hint, Ron??? :confused:

Sh!t, it IS a hint! :shock:

DAMMIT... how can I be so DUMB!:doh:

I did a bacon entry and DIDN'T USE HOLLANDAISE!:doh::doh:

And I'm travelling this weekend, so I can't fix this problem.:rip:

Look Brethren... how about I "promise" I'll make this bacon with a Hollandaise Sauce as soon as I get back...... just farkin' vote for me...:thumb:

Pleeese!:becky::becky::becky::becky::becky:

Back