THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did the chum salmon cross the road?

seattle_times_chum.jpg

Sorry it took so long to post, but I asked my friend to explain this to me. It appears that you cannot actually purchase these things. It appears to be a fraud. Sorry guys. Here is the correspondence:

Dear Gora,

For sure it was made up. The label on the can simply says it is a cooked
fish with some vegetable oil, which is ready to eat. I used to eat such a
canned fish a lot when I was a student. And, never, saw anything like that.
It could be an expired can, so, something else started to grow inside. :)

> Hi Zhenya,
> Saw this posted on my favorite BBQ website and wondering if it was
> real. I figured you could translate it for me. Do you know this brand?
> It sure is scary.
> Gora

Cheers,
Zhenya.

Despite my friend's response, I wouldn't put it past someone to slip a fish-head into a can. Heck, you're out in the middle of the ocean canning fish for a few months at a time, bored out of your mind. Why not, just for a joke. I agree that it does resemble a salmon head as you say, but I would expect a much less desirable fish to inhabit these cans. I did sample a few of these Russian brands in past years and what I had was not salmon. I believe salmon is desirable enough that it would be separated, and if canned, at least labeled as such. Of course, who knows. Fark, I can't believe there aren't any ichthyologists on this forum who could give us a definite answer. Farkin' ichthyologist lurkers. I know you're reading this! :tsk:

Actually, my brother does lurk here and he is a fish biologist. Based on his expertise, I feel confident in saying without actually talking to him, that the can could actually contain the partial remains of a spawning Chum Salmon, which would actually not be very good tasting and would have a less than salmon-like texture and flavor. This would be because of the decay that the fish is actually undergoing.

I should probably ask him, but, he is younger than I am so I feel confident that I can speak for him.

Actually, my brother does lurk here and he is a fish biologist. Based on his expertise, I feel confident in saying without actually talking to him, that the can could actually contain the partial remains of a spawning Chum Salmon, which would actually not be very good tasting and would have a less than salmon-like texture and flavor. This would be because of the decay that the fish is actually undergoing.

I should probably ask him, but, he is younger than I am so I feel confident that I can speak for him.

So no one here can "shut you the fark up" and yet your brother doesn't utter a sound???? bizarre.

Back