THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Click on the cook link he put at the beginning of his entry. It showed a photo of the pit assembled. Looks like a weber to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in stealth mode.

Yup. I have the same firepit. I guess I'll have to use something else, so I don't copy Phu.

CD

I thought I had a great entry idea -- bison steak. Bison were around in the paleolithic era. However, I read some articles on cooking bison steaks, and they all indicated than bison would NOT be good cooked directly on coals.

So, back to the drawing board.

CD

Didja forget your helmet today?

As a matter of fact, my helmet is undergoing special improvements as we speak. It's almost finished:

foilpropeller.jpg

How do you like it?

:becky:

I have a new idea, but I have to go hunting and gathering, first. It may have to wait until Saturday. If it storms again tonight, like it is supposed to, the Brinkman Ranch staff will all be inside. Now, I just need to find a bigger club.

CD

Here is my attempt to cook like a caveman.

2012-06-07163646.jpg

First I started some lump in the Weber kettle. I used my handy dandy caveman approved weed torch to get the coals going.

2012-06-07164444.jpg

When the coals were going I put on some potatoes. Just like a caveman with no foil.

2012-06-07164428.jpg

I then prepared my meat, a small tri-tip rubbed with Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow. I did some research and I swear I found on wikipedia an article that said that Steph got the recipe from an ancestor who scratched it on a cave wall. So I figured it was fair game.

2012-06-07164900.jpg

When the potatoes were almost done I put the meat on.

2012-06-07172823.jpg

I added some sausage link for the two younger kids who don't appreciate a tri-tip.
2012-06-07173147.jpg

Things came out really well. The tri-tip was black but not really burnt and suprisingly juicy. The potatoes were crispy but really good with a smoky undertone. The sausage was a kid pleaser. The coals didn't stick and all in all the cook was a success.

2012-06-07173421.jpg

2012-06-07173430.jpg

2012-06-07174512.jpg

2012-06-07174519.jpg

Use the last picture as my entry.

Bwahahahahahahaha...I will be posting photos by the deadline.

Are your hickory chunks starting to glow yet? Once you get half of them glowing, it usually doesn't take more than 24 hours to get them just right. You should be able to just make it in time. :thumb:

CD

The steaks have air dried with the S&P for two days now. They're 2" thick so I'm not sure how long to cook them on the embers directly which I'm assuming will be at least 200 degrees hotter than my usual grate level...

The steaks have air dried with the S&P for two days now. They're 2" thick so I'm not sure how long to cook them on the embers directly which I'm assuming will be at least 200 degrees hotter than my usual grate level...

If you know how to use one, I've been told that a Thermapen is very useful for telling when your steaks are done. Of course, I doubt cavemen had Thermapens -- and I don't, in any way, mean that as a criticism of Thermapens. It was the caveman's fault for not inventing Thermapens.

CD :becky:

Okay, I wasn't planning to enter this TD, because I couldn't think of anything creative to do directly on coals. But, I wanted to do something for Moose, and what do you know, I had a lot of fun making this TD entry, and it tasted dayum good, too.

I started by procuring a nice, locally raised T-Bone. I can't show pr0n, because that would be evidence.

I then assembled a caveman mortar and pestle from things in my backyard, to grind up some peppercorns and pink salt that I gathered -- cavemen were both hunters and gatherers.

picture.php

Then, if figured I would need tongs to turn my steak, so I cut a green limb from a Live Oak tree, and used a sharp object to make some tongs.

picture.php

I knew we were allowed to use modern enclosures and grates for this TD, but I was in caveman mode, so I built my fire right on the ground -- actually the stone walkway in my backyard. Upon that, I laid my meat.

picture.php

I cooked it to a caveman standard medium rare, tossed it on a slab of stone, and somehow took a picture of it, even though cameras don't yet exist. The caveman fork shot crutch, however, does exist, so I took full advantage of that, since I don't have a cute kid to dress up and pose with a pony. :becky:

picture.php

BTW, it was farking awesome, and I'm not usually a T-Bone fan.

Oh, I forgot to say up front... this is my entry into this throwdown, bigabyte. :becky:

CD

Last edited:
Back