BBQ Brethren "Chinese New Year" Throwdown!

Did someone say mooseknuckles?

249.jpg

This one has my creative juices flowing. I have an "East meets West" recipe idea that marries asian flavors with Southern BBQ.

CD

I don't understand...:confused:
They are perpetuating the stereotype that Chinese eat cats (or dogs) and serve them is restaurants to make the prices cheaper. If only they really knew.

BTW, cats are tough and stringy unlike small fluffy dogs.

They are perpetuating the stereotype that Chinese eat cats (or dogs) and serve them is restaurants to make the prices cheaper. If only they really knew.

BTW, cats are tough and stringy unlike small fluffy dogs.

I was afraid to go there (bigabyte can back me up), but I had a feeling someone would. LOL

If anyone ever decides to cook THIS dog, they can actually serve my liver raw as a pickled meat appetizer. :heh:

CD

Are you crazy? Can't be done, what are you thinking?

My creative juices are never wrong -- well, there was this time they said I could build my own hang glider, but that was the only time that is on record with the 911 operator.

CD

Actually, I know people from other countries (yes, I know, I was shocked to find out there are other countries as well) and they have in fact, eaten horse, cat, dog, monkey and many other four legged critters. I have yet, however, to meet someone that has eaten a platypus (dangit! I know, penalty box...). They report that cat is remarkable not palatable, small dogs are quite fragrant and tasty, large dogs are like poorly handled goat (this was stated like I would even know what properly handled goat tastes like) and horse is like a sweet beef.

Soooo, it's hearsay?:wink: Actually, I knew a dude that shot a mountain lion and they ate it. Said it was wunderbar. Maybe they were starving, I don't know.

I have been waiting all week to cook this, and today's weather was absolutely perfect. So, instead of working, I cooked -- and took pictures, so I guess I did work, even if I didn't get paid for it.

My throwdown entry is an "East meets West" lettuce wrap, with one Chinese dipping sauce, and one Southern BBQ classic dipping sauce.

I started by smoking the pork tenderloin over Pecan on the Webber. The PT was "dusted" with my regular pork rub. Pork tenderloin is delicate and delicious, so I always go easy on the rub. I smoked it at 250 until it reached an internal temperature of 150.I then wrapped the PT in foil, and let it rest for 30 minutes. Then, I took the PT and cut it into approximately 1/4 cubes.

I then stir-fried a mixture of onion, water chestnuts, and mushrooms, all chopped to about 1/4 inch cubes. I added two garlic cloves, minced, in a blend of Sesame and olive oil.High heat! Don't be afraid to get a little bit of char. Just keep an eye on it, and keep it moving.

When the stir fried veggies were nearly done, I stirred in my diced pork tenderloin to blend it all together, and gave it a squeeze of lemon. The lemon turns to steam, and gives a gentle flavor. You know it's there, but just barely.

The mixture of meat and veggies is served on iceberg lettuce, like little green tacos. Dip, and eat.

The "East" dipping sauce is a blend of soy sauce, sugar, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger paste and minced garlic -- with two drops of "cock sauce" (Sirracha).

The "West" dipping sauce is my version of a Carolina vinegar sauce, with apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, yellow mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 149
  • LettuceWrapTD-800x600.jpg
    LettuceWrapTD-800x600.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Back