BBQ Brethren "Cast Iron" Throwdown

**Cast Iron on Cast Iron**

I'm always too late or too short when it comes to the Throwdowns. I really admire all the entries each week. I still have a thing or two left up my sleeve for this weeks subject, but last nights quickie grill got me started!

For my very first Throwdown, I present....a little cast iron grilling.

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

Shrimp with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and Mick's Hot Ginger Pepper Jelly

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

Alaskan King Salmon tail with DP Raging river with Cherry smoke from the Flavordome Smoker box under the Genesis cast iron grates. Shrimp sautee on a skillet.

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

Moved the Salmon from the foil to the skillet to crisp the skin.

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

Eatin' healthy!

Beautiful. I'd so hit that plate. Please share the recipe for the side....is that an orzo pasta medly. Looks fantastic.

Trader Joe's Harvest Grains Blend " A savory blend of Israeli style Couscous, Orzo, Baby Garbanzo beans and Red Quinoa"

Shelled seamed Edamame (soybeans)

Second time in a couple days that quinoa makes an appearance here, I gotta try the stuff. Never heard of it before.
Can you describe the taste and or texture of it?

Looks fantastic Brian.

Alrighty, Right here represents 3 firsts for me...

1st time in a Throwdown
1st time making a Pinapple Upside Down Cake
1st time making anything that doesn't resemble soup/stew or chili in the Dutch Oven.

I only like 2 kind of cakes... German Chocolate and Pineapple Upside Down Cake... mom used to make pineapple upside down when I was a kid, but I haven't had any in years... So, what the heck!

Here we go!

Lined the sides of the DO with parchment paper to reduce stickage and arranged the pinapple & cherries on top of the melted butter/brown suga' mix.

DSC07335Medium.jpg

Dropped in a batch of the Dough-Boy's pineapple flavored cake mix.

DSC07336Medium.jpg

Made a foil halo to keep the briqs from rolling off the round top of my DO

3 lit briqs underneath and about 18 or so on top.

I set it up inside my gasser so that the wind wouldn't screw with me. So actually I had CI grates holding up a CI DO... :confused:

DSC07342Medium.jpg

about 45 min later and she was smelling incredible!!!

Little bit burnt on the top... prolly use a few less briqs on top next time.

DSC07345Medium.jpg

After seeing the top I was gettin worried about the bottom... all for nuthin tho - It was perfect!!! :clap2:

DSC07357Medium.jpg

I wasted no time hackin' into it to have a taste. Amazing if I do say so myself!

DSC07365Medium-1.jpg

Just like ma' used to make!! Only better cuz I did it. :thumb:

Thanks for lookin!

Hey KnucklHed... I hate desserts, cause I drink too much...but you just slammed that one. I would eat that anytime just for the effort , and then I'd probably love the taste too!

Cheers!

Bill

Since this falls within the date, I'll include it... Ad Hoc Short Ribs! Cast iron used: cast iron grate on the Bubba Keg, and cast iron Dutch oven for the braising.

4472279132_0e60a2242f_b.jpg

4472279672_644e5fb166_b.jpg

4471503323_8b8bee3a1b_b.jpg

Since this falls within the date, I'll include it... Ad Hoc Short Ribs! Cast iron used: cast iron grate on the Bubba Keg, and cast iron Dutch oven for the braising.

4472279132_0e60a2242f_b.jpg

4472279672_644e5fb166_b.jpg

4471503323_8b8bee3a1b_b.jpg
Dang Curt!!!

I picked the wrong throwdown to start with...

I see you're still using that Bubba Keg once in a while :biggrin1:

Hey KnucklHed... I hate desserts, cause I drink too much...but you just slammed that one. I would eat that anytime just for the effort , and then I'd probably love the taste too!

Thanks Bill!!

I usually prefer to drink my desert too, but this one... man!

I think next time I'll add Rum to the butter/brown sugar sauce.

Nice job indeed! How about cooking some of that up at the Pike Place comp in a couple weeks? When freinds share I feel glad!

Dang Curt!!!

I picked the wrong throwdown to start with...

I see you're still using that Bubba Keg once in a while :biggrin1:

Trust me, I never come close to winning these things.

And I use my BKCG all the time; it's the first grill/smoker I go to. I use the XL BGE when I need more space or want to do high heat pizza, and use the Weber kettle when I need more room.

Back