BBQ Brethren "Beef Ribs" Throwdown!

Now I'm hungry for ribs at five in the morning. Those ribs look FANTASTIC! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sure you can have some. Just have to wait. They're not done til they are done ya know. Got home a bit ago and checked them. They still have a little fight left in them so I loaded up another 20lbs of KB. I am in it for the long haul. They are noticeably smaller now though. Not just shrinkage of the meat either. The bones are getting shorter too. Oh well, I will give them another day and see what happens.

I'm going to see about picking up a couple racks this morning, hopefully we get more entries this weekend.

I just love those beef ribs..... I keep smelling them cooking over at R2EGG2Q's house across the street. I just might have to see if I can find some of those beauties!

Just steal some of his. That's what I would do. :becky:

CD

Fark! I almost forgot about the rack I have cooking. I'm gonna have to run home and make sure I don't need to add more fuel. Should be pretty close to done now though. They were much, much smaller when I checked them on Thursday. I think they will come out great and just in time.

Fark! I almost forgot about the rack I have cooking. I'm gonna have to run home and make sure I don't need to add more fuel. Should be pretty close to done now though. They were much, much smaller when I checked them on Thursday. I think they will come out great and just in time.

Just make sure to check internal temperature before you pull them. You don't want them charred on the outside, and raw on the inside.

CD

I'm going to see about picking up a couple racks this morning, hopefully we get more entries this weekend.

Yeah, I hope so too! It's been too quiet in here

Just steal some of his. That's what I would do. :becky:

CD

Mine are long gone :sad:. Marty may have to go steal from Groundhog66 or maybe Colonel00's as it sounds like his may be done soon.

careful, don't want to check too often.

ya know, if you're lookin you ain't cookin'.

Yeah, I hope so too! It's been too quiet in here

I'm watching and learning. I've tried cooking beef ribs a couple times, with unsatisfactory results. They turned out really greasy. Good flavor, but major-league gut-bombs.

I'm thinking the colonel's method might take care of that excess fat and greasiness -- if he doesn't get impatient and pull them off the smoker too early.

CD

Last edited:
Ribs are coming along nicely. I stopped by Sam's on the way home and I think I found bigabyte some ribs to cook :shocked:

IMAG0524.jpg

Hi folks,

Here is my first throwdown submission. I must apologise for the random nature of some of the photos - the camera wasn't playing nicely this weekend.

I thought to make things interesting, I would do 3 different types of Beef ribs at the same time:
Beef back ribs, beef spare ribs and beef short ribs.

Nomenclature nitpicking aside, the back ribs were the "curvy boned, less meat on them" type similar to pork back ribs.

The spare ribs had longer, straighter bones with a nice layer of fat on the top that crisps up beautifully during smoking.

The short ribs had some amazing marbling and melted in the mouth, while the back ribs were a bit more toothsome (due to the connective tissue) and the spare ribs externally fattier yet leaner inside. Overall the short ribs were my favourite.

Anyways, the ribs were all prepped and cooked the same way (but for different times due to thickness/toughness/tenderness differences): Rubbed with my own homemade rub, then finished off with a homemade tomato based BBQ sauce as a glaze. Sauce for dipping served on the side!

On with the photos:

Short Ribs:

A side-on view of the short ribs to show the nice marbling:

The spare ribs, rubbed and smoked but before "glazing":

A cross section of one of the spare ribs:

One of the back ribs:

One of the back ribs sliced:

From the side: These babies pull back from the bone BIG-TIME!

The short rib after smoking:

A shot of the inside to show the beautiful marbling of the short rib:

Back