BBQ Brethren "Aloha Hawaii" Throwdown! (Entries and Quality *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Official entry - Loco Moco

THIS BE THE VOTING PIC!!

main.php

cook thread here

LOCO MOCO one of my Waikiki Favorites. Me and the Duke spent many a drunken hours eating those babies at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Mahalo.

Hawaiian Short Ribs, Macaroni Salad, Sweet Bread

This is my official entry. I have wanted to try my hand a Beef Short Ribs for a while now. I used this recipe from Harry Soo as my inspiration. I have to say that I didn't like the flavor profile at all. I found that the ribs were tender but way to fatty for my taste. The recipe says to wrap the ribs after 2 to 3 hours and pull when they probe tender. I think they would have been better if I hadn't wrapped them at all. The sweet flavor combined with the beef didn't taste good to me or my family. I consider this cook a fail but this is a recap.

DSC01392.jpg

DSC01395.jpg

DSC01396-1.jpg

DSC01399.jpg

DSC01404.jpg

DSC01408.jpg

DSC01411.jpg

DSC01419.jpg

Please use this photo for my entry.
DSC01421.jpg

Thanks for looking.

sure looks great.

i personally always thought wrapping beef ribs was :crazy:, part of what makes beef so good is the crispy crunchy burnty outside parts.

sure looks great.

i personally always thought wrapping beef ribs was :crazy:, part of what makes beef so good is the crispy crunchy burnty outside parts.

Mahalo Nui Loa boogiesnap. Wish I could say it was some righteous kaukau but that's opala. There won't be a hana hou of this one bro.

Thanks HT, I could have said it was tasty.:decision: I have respect for Harry Soo, and maybe others would like the flavor but I didn't. Maybe the baked sweet bread crutch will help me out. But to be honest they were too dense.:tsk:

Thanks HT, I could have said it was tasty.:decision: I have respect for Harry Soo, and maybe others would like the flavor but I didn't. Maybe the baked sweet bread crutch will help me out. But to be honest they were too dense.:tsk:
Aye, I be a wee bit dense meself. arrr.

Okay,here we go!!!

Please accept this as my official entry.

I learned of this magnificent treat from a couple native friends, and oh, looking back am I ever embarrassed by how I made such a pig of myself. :oops: :lol: First let me share with you the one simple ingredient you will want if you ever wish to do this yourself. It's the Kona Coast Island Teriyaki glaze. (If you can't locate that, try the Kikkoman teriyaki glaze and add a spoonful of sugar and some sesame seeds).

Now were ready. Let's thinly slice a hunk of London Broil (or what have you), into strips, oh, about 1/8 inches thick:

We want to go low and slow with this, which is still pretty quick anyway. So, time to use the side fire box, and keep the direct heat far away from these little treats.

Here we flip 'em over and you can see them cooking along with a coconut (In case you don't know, heating a nut makes it much more user friendly to extract the fruit).

What do you say we get some of that lovely sweet glaze on there?

And I present to you a little appetizer friends.

But before all is said and done, let me share with you how I plated my dinner and ate. Hopefully you can make out a bed of pineapple, topped with the coconut and my red coconut rice (made small batch incorporating the coconut milk), and the sweet steak strips.

Please accept this as my specific entry.

This is my official entry. I have wanted to try my hand a Beef Short Ribs for a while now. I used this recipe from Harry Soo as my inspiration. I have to say that I didn't like the flavor profile at all. I found that the ribs were tender but way to fatty for my taste. The recipe says to wrap the ribs after 2 to 3 hours and pull when they probe tender. I think they would have been better if I hadn't wrapped them at all. The sweet flavor combined with the beef didn't taste good to me or my family. I consider this cook a fail but this is a recap.

DSC01392.jpg

DSC01395.jpg

DSC01396-1.jpg

DSC01399.jpg

DSC01404.jpg

DSC01408.jpg

DSC01411.jpg

DSC01419.jpg

Please use this photo for my entry.
DSC01421.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Most sorry the flavor did not appeal to you much, K-JUN, but that sure does not take away from the magnificently succelent appearance of your ribs. :grin:

Guerry closed out my zero. Dagnabit. Who thought they could win with Seared Ahi Poke Salad. It's too Hawaiian. Bwahhahahaha

Back