Contest Results BBQ, Blues & Cruise - Taylorville, IL 5/29-5/30

I am judging.
I was sent the list of the teams, as I guess Ron was, and those are some tough teams!

Taylorville is history! It was a very vice competition! The facilities were clean and water and electric was very convenient. The staff were very attentive. It seemed to me that every time that i went to throw something in the trash that the cans were empty.

For our dinner on Friday night we made Moink Loaf (one pound of ground beef and one pound of ground pork and a packet of onion soup mix) :-D

P9060378.JPG

The weather was pretty good. We had some storms roll by on Friday night but we stayed dry.

P9060373.JPG

We weren't as lucky on Saturday, however. It rained for about 90 minutes but stopped before turn ins. Then the sun came out and the afternoon was beautiful.

The field for this competition was actually pretty strong. 6 of the 30 teams were in the top 40 in the KCBS TOY last year. Besides the local heavy hitters (Yeah, that's you, Scottie :-D) like Cancer Sucks Chicago, Dr. Porkenstein, Tyford BBQ (formerly Ulcer Acres) and Quau, we had some very good teams from all around the country. The "celebrity" team was Mike Davis and Lotta Bull BBQ and he was joined by Let's Kick Some Ash and Florida Skin and Bones. Rolling Smoke BBQ came over from Ohio and did very well!

We ended up with 3rd place brisket and 7th overall. I thought that our chicken and ribs were some of the best that we had cooked but the judges didn't agree :rolleyes:.

Here are the top 10's. (Brethren teams in bold. If I missed someone please let me know! I know I met a few others who are on the site but my mind if slipping :rolleyes:) Complete results are at the KCBS site.

Grand Champion: Lotta Bull BBQ
Reserve Champion: Let's Kick Some Ash

Overall:
1 Lotta Bull BBQ
2 Let's Kick Some Ash
3 Rolling Smoke BBQ
4 Twyford BBQ
5 Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
6 Florida Skin & Bones
7 Captain Ron's Brew-n-que
8 Quau
9 Smokin' T's
10 cancersuckschicago.com

Chicken:
1 Big Chief BBQ
2 Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
3 It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere
4 One2BBQ
5 Twyford BBQ
6 Let's Kick Some Ash
7 Rolling Smoke BBQ
8 Florida Skin & Bones
9 Quau
10 Lotta Bull BBQ

Ribs:
1 Twyford BBQ
2 Rolling Smoke BBQ

3 Lotta Bull BBQ
4 Let's Kick Some Ash
5 Black Kettle Cooks
6 Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
7 Dr. Porkenstein
8 Glory Bound
9 Road Warriors
10 Smokin' T's

Pork:
1 Lotta Bull BBQ
2 Black Kettle Cooks
3 cancersuckschicago.com
4 Wild Hogs BBQ
5 Florida Skin & Bones
6 Smokin' T's
7 It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere
8 Twyford BBQ
9 Gilly's Barnstormin' BBQ
10 Rolling Smoke BBQ

Brisket:
1 Boar Cephus
2 Lotta Bull BBQ
3 Captain Ron's Brew-n-que
4 Let's Kick Some Ash
5 Quau
6 Florida Skin & Bones
7 Wild Hogs BBQ
8 Smokin' T's
9 Rolling Smoke BBQ
10 Lion Bout the Q

Last edited:
Great job all!

No Brethren on Brisket! Actally, Ronnelle I think Lion Bout the Q is here. Oh and don't forget about yourself.

You forget how to bold things in your old age?

Great job all!

No Brethren on Brisket! Actally, Ronnelle I think Lion Bout the Q is here. Oh and don't forget about yourself.

You forget how to bold things in your old age?

Either that or I fell asleep... :rolleyes: I fixed it.

Either that or I fell asleep... :rolleyes: I fixed it.

You slept through the pork too Ron. I had 10th. :razz: Great meeting you this weekend and I got a picture of the same thunderhead with the old Ulcer Acres flag flying in front of it.

You slept through the pork too Ron. I had 10th. :razz: Great meeting you this weekend and I got a picture of the same thunderhead with the old Ulcer Acres flag flying in front of it.

Sorry, Jim! I fixed it.

It was nice to meet you!

I was there as a spectator & can say all the Q cookin' smelled great. We were following the signs through town on the motorcycle & I told the wife I wasn't sure where we were going but we could sure smell what we were looking for.

one2bbq was there too, you wouldn't have known it because they stuck us back behind the barns but it was a good time and we took 4th in chicken.

Doh! I should have remembered that! I remember meeting you guys. Sorry. I fixed it.

More Highlights Needed for results

Ron,

Great cooking with you this weekend and nice to meet you both. And thanks for the coffee for Tonys late rising wife. Our pot had already burned through two or three pots and Tony and I were done and put away. We appreciate that you still had some for her.

Smokin' T's
9th overall
10th ribs
6th pork
8th brisket (and that truly WAS a gift from the judges)

Hope to see you on the cooking trail later in the year.

Troy

Wish I could have been there, but family matters had to take priority. Congrats to everyone who got a call. Jim, I'll have to look at those grandbaby pics at Madison in August! Glad the weather held out for everyone.

No grandbaby until October Roger so if I show you any pics in Madison, it will not be ones that Dawn or Tina can see. :lol:

Just want ALL you guys to know that Kathy and I really enjoyed our adventure through Yankee country. It was great seeing some of our friends that we hadn't seen in a year and meeting new ones.

It is always a pleasure to work contests in these areas (Westmont & Taylorville) and we look forward to heading back up that way for a few more later on this year.

Hope you guys will check out the schedule on the KCBS website and see the ones Kathy & I will be doing and join in with us!

Phillip

Great seeing everyone at Taylorville. Congrats to all who walked.
Great to see the "Buckeye Brigaid", aka, Rolling Smoke do so well.

Ron L has got his brisket workin' and Phil and Kathy always make a comp worth cookin'.

Just want ALL you guys to know that Kathy and I really enjoyed our adventure through Yankee country. It was great seeing some of our friends that we hadn't seen in a year and meeting new ones.

It is always a pleasure to work contests in these areas (Westmont & Taylorville) and we look forward to heading back up that way for a few more later on this year.

Hope you guys will check out the schedule on the KCBS website and see the ones Kathy & I will be doing and join in with us!

Phillip

Thanks Phillip and Kathy for a great contest, you guys are awesome..(even though I got caught on candid cellphone)...Paul Mizer did a great job as an organizer, the place was a great set up for bbq'in thanks a ton!

Congrats to Jim and Tina, what a fantastic job!!! and you even showed up for the rewards!

Great to be in the company of so many great teams..got my butts handed to me and still had a great time!

See ya'll at Kettering!
JayAre and Janine

Ron,

Great cooking with you this weekend and nice to meet you both. And thanks for the coffee for Tonys late rising wife. Our pot had already burned through two or three pots and Tony and I were done and put away. We appreciate that you still had some for her.

Smokin' T's
9th overall
10th ribs
6th pork
8th brisket (and that truly WAS a gift from the judges)

Hope to see you on the cooking trail later in the year.

Troy

I updated the results list, Troy. It was great to meet all of you as well. The coffee pots is on at every competition so if you see us just come on by!

It's funny that you posted when you did. Amy and I were talking about your toy hauler last night. Do you have the manufacturer and model? I'm compiling a list of toy haulers that would work for us so i can keep my eye out. We probably won't buy for another year but it never hurts to look :rolleyes:

Back