Contest Announcment Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Long Island, NY

I think it was a main course and either an appetizer or dessert, your choice, for the second category and both should be from the same region/country. And it's on site judging only, no blind turn-ins.

Grilling

As stated in the opening post, full grilling rules will be posted and emailed to the teams on Wednesday, Sept. 23.

Eric

How do you sign up to Judge the grilling only?

Get signed up as soon as you check in. Eric, Grace, and I volunteered last year - I ended up as a table captain. It was a lot of fun to see what goes on behind the scenes. Especially fun, was watching teams "sprint" their entries in!

Get signed up as soon as you check in. Eric, Grace, and I volunteered last year - I ended up as a table captain. It was a lot of fun to see what goes on behind the scenes. Especially fun, was watching teams "sprint" their entries in!

The sprints are my favorite part about Sayville. I've turned in 14 categories there in 2 years and think I got them in with under 30 seconds left every time. Even ran over the turn-in table once with 2 seconds left.

Note

Hi,

Regardless of any prior discussions we have had, if you would like to have your team located near another team you NEED to send me an email at
s a b e r i n c at v e r i z o n dot n e t

I have had a few conversations with teams that would like to be either adjacent to or within close proximity of another team. We will absolutely attempt to comply with your requests. Please note that we can't guarantee any teams placement with the sole exception of those teams that have requested and received oversize lots.

Thanks,

Eric

I may get a wild hair and drag someone to Sayville to cook with me.....are southern comfort soaked cherries allowed at this event?

Grilling rules

Battle of the BBQ Brethren
2009 Grilling Rules
On-Site Judging Definition – Judges will come to your plot at a predetermined time. You will have the option of presenting your dishes any way that you would like. Tablescapes, presentation, flatware, etc. are only limited by your imagination. You will have 20 minutes with the judges. During that time you may offer a verbal presentation in addition to the food and the judges are free to ask you questions.
There will be 6 judges and one table captain. If you need chairs for the judges, see the organizers and if possible we will loan you chairs from the judging tent.
We ask that you afford the judges some privacy after they eat as they score your Grilling entry.

Grilling Rules –

1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Scoring categories are (in order of grading impotance): Taste, Presentation and Originality
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Teams must prepare an entrée and either an appetizer or dessert. Once those requirements are met, teams may prepare and present anything else that they would like (such as a soup or amuse bouche). Scoring on ancillary items will only count towards presentation. Ancillary items must conform to the theme (see 3 below).
3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The meal provided must have a unified national or regional theme. For example, a team may present food with an Asian theme of grilled beef with hoisin sauce and egg rolls OR Italian with braciole and cannoli OR South Western with fajitas and black bean soup and so on.
4)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Everything must be prepared on site with the exception of: bread, ice cream and sauces.
5)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Any ‘secret ingredients’ provided to the teams must be used in the preparation of their meal.

There will be a Hot Dog category that will not count towards the Grilling Grand Championship. Teams will be provided with Sabrett hot dogs and will have free reign to do with them what they will. Standard grilled dogs, pigs in a blanket, chili dogs, hot dog tempura, franks and beans, etc.

The Grand Champion for Grilling will receive a Big Green Egg. There will be monetary payouts and other prizes as well.

Thank you and good luck.

Eric

I need the following teams/people to send me an email address that works (I believe there was a transposing error or two when the information was entered into the spreadsheet):

Ma's Que Crew (Brian)

Team Big Barry (Greg)

BBQ Brothers (Kevin)

Pit Posse (Mark)

Thanks!

Eric

Judges will come to your plot at a predetermined time.

Will each team be given an expected window? Last year it seemed that it was sprung on us and we pulled shortest straw (first seating). Maybe our grilling captain didn't relay the info?

Yes, each team will be assigned a time and notified of that time Friday evening or Saturday morning (depending on when they arrive).

Eric

Last edited:
So there is no NEBS sanctioned event this year? No categories for normal turn ins? It will all be the one on site judging?

Eric,

I haven't seen anything yet regarding collections for Sayville Food Pantry and/or Long Island Cares, or raffles/baskets for Breast Cancer Research.

Are these running again this year?

Thanks.

So there is no NEBS sanctioned event this year? No categories for normal turn ins? It will all be the one on site judging?

From the Grilling Rules:

'There will be a Hot Dog category that will not count towards the Grilling Grand Championship. Teams will be provided with Sabrett hot dogs and will have free reign to do with them what they will. Standard grilled dogs, pigs in a blanket, chili dogs, hot dog tempura, franks and beans, etc.'

This will be a normal turn-in item. The time for turn-ins will most likely be 1:00 pm.

As was the case last year, NEBS can't or won't sanction the Battle of the BBQ Brethren. I believe that our grilling falls outside of their purview due to its on-site nature.

Eric

Ah ok. I thought the on site wasn't part of the GC last year and that NEBS had sanctioned the other categories.

Update

We are working out the details currently and I will follow up when everything is ironed out, but we are going to have 'BBQ All-Stars' competition running concurrently with the BBQ.

If your team makes a donation to Breast Cancer Help, Inc. (who will be onsite), you will be eligible to enter. There are no constraints on the donation at all. It could be $5.00, it could be $500.00.

The food will be judged by a panel of local celebrities. The winners will receive trophies/plaques and whatever other prizes we can arrange for between now and the event.

The categories will most likely be chicken and ribs. We will probably need two samples per box and we will try to keep the times near or simultaneous to the KCBS times to make it as easy as possible for you.

Eric

Back