Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Barn Burner BBQ at Lambs Farm in Libertyville, IL 10/15 & 10/16 2010!

stop by Big Eds BBQ setup and say hi..he is vending too so im not sure where he will be setup..ill be there around today around 5 then back tommmrow morning early
bring a sauce sample with if you can so i can try it

Bring your long john's... I won't have the red room this year... :thumb:

Weather wasn't half as bad as so many worried, heck, I was wearing shorts and a t shirt until just before the cooks meeting Friday!

Congrats to Scottie and Jeff for thier great showings! The shot fairy managed to nab 1st place dessert, so at least we didn't come away empty handed!

The ham dinner Jeff, Kathy, and crew put on was excellent Friday evening! Thanks for the great hospitality, and you guys didn't need to wash our crock pot!:-D Also thanks to Dive's crew for the Raki! Great stuff, let me know when your next shipment is and I'll pay for a bottle or two

I'm a bit baffled by the judges, but hell, what's new?! We got a comment card on our pork saying "I'd have given you a 9 instead of an 8 except for too much sauce":mad2: (I might have said the money muscle wasn't centered:rolleyes:).
porksml.jpg

Then again, there were some big hitters pretty low in pork, and other categories as well. I think I'm glad I'm cooking and not judging anymore!

All in all, it was a great time, with a great bunch of folks, and an excellent way to wrap up the season!

We're already thinking about the Des Plaines winter burnoff! Have a great winter everyone, and see ya next year!

Looks like a solid 9 to me, Dann! What were the appearance scores? I can see where there may be a little too much sauce on the pulled pieces, but not enough that I would knock it down to an 8.

We were knocked down on our pork, too (25th). I didn't expect to get first place since the bark wasn't as good as normal (I didn'tt do anything different, but it just didn't taste as good), but I didn't expect 25th, either. Our appearance scores were all over the place.

ya know, I think we have to chalk it up to...wasn't our day! I think our ribs were really good, but we must have hit Scotties table or something. Nothing below a 6, but WAY down on the list. But I can't complain. Quau Mike second to last in pork? WTF? We're looking at our season as half-full....6 comps, and 6 calls, plus a 1st in dessert, and our first ever 1st in pork. I'll take it!

We were talking with Ma and Pa's kettle afterward, and someone had given them a 3 for taste on their ribs, with a comment card that said "too salty" yet all other taste scores were 7's and above. Personally, I think a 3 is really unnescessary and a bit insulting. I am beginning to understand, after three seasons, all those negative comments about judges I heard when we were judging....but, what do you do? We need them. Just wish there was more consistency.

Whatever. Congrats again to Scottie and Jeff....looks like Scotties ribs were the deciding factor!
We had a great time, our neighbors, Q-topia, the Kettles, Moose, and Smokey and the one-armed bandit were all great!

We'll be unpacking the trailer this week and calling it a season, but I'll have the bullets accessible for the burnoff! Looking forward to a winter brethren get-together sometime in the off-season! Here's a pic of Di's dessert (1st place caramel apple upside-down cakes)scores 999 988 999 999 899 999 Almost perfect 179.4286
dessert.jpg

I have to admit that the sauce does look a bit thick on the pulled pork but nothing that I would judge down on...

Thanks again for bringing over the chili and jam to the dinner on Friday. To me, there is nothing better than having the two of them on a cool night!

You are more than welcome Jeff! We'll be picking up a pressure canner in the not too distant future to start putting up some more of that Hog Jam. Sure did go well with those gorgeous hams you did

Weather wasn't half as bad as so many worried, heck, I was wearing shorts and a t shirt until just before the cooks meeting Friday!

Congrats to Scottie and Jeff for thier great showings! The shot fairy managed to nab 1st place dessert, so at least we didn't come away empty handed!

The ham dinner Jeff, Kathy, and crew put on was excellent Friday evening! Thanks for the great hospitality, and you guys didn't need to wash our crock pot!:-D Also thanks to Dive's crew for the Raki! Great stuff, let me know when your next shipment is and I'll pay for a bottle or two

I'm a bit baffled by the judges, but hell, what's new?! We got a comment card on our pork saying "I'd have given you a 9 instead of an 8 except for too much sauce":mad2: (I might have said the money muscle wasn't centered:rolleyes:).
porksml.jpg

Then again, there were some big hitters pretty low in pork, and other categories as well. I think I'm glad I'm cooking and not judging anymore!

All in all, it was a great time, with a great bunch of folks, and an excellent way to wrap up the season!

We're already thinking about the Des Plaines winter burnoff! Have a great winter everyone, and see ya next year!
Bet that judge still brought it it home in a little cooler even though it was over sauced :p

You are more than welcome Jeff! We'll be picking up a pressure canner in the not too distant future to start putting up some more of that Hog Jam. Sure did go well with those gorgeous hams you did
I may need to pick your brain on the pressure canner... Thinking about doing more of that in general and for our sauces specifically.

I am looking forward to more of the Hog Jam! Let me know when it's available!

ya know, I think we have to chalk it up to...wasn't our day! I think our ribs were really good, but we must have hit Scotties table or something. Nothing below a 6, but WAY down on the list. But I can't complain. Quau Mike second to last in pork? WTF? We're looking at our season as half-full....6 comps, and 6 calls, plus a 1st in dessert, and our first ever 1st in pork. I'll take it!

We were talking with Ma and Pa's kettle afterward, and someone had given them a 3 for taste on their ribs, with a comment card that said "too salty" yet all other taste scores were 7's and above. Personally, I think a 3 is really unnescessary and a bit insulting. I am beginning to understand, after three seasons, all those negative comments about judges I heard when we were judging....but, what do you do? We need them. Just wish there was more consistency.

Whatever. Congrats again to Scottie and Jeff....looks like Scotties ribs were the deciding factor!
We had a great time, our neighbors, Q-topia, the Kettles, Moose, and Smokey and the one-armed bandit were all great!

We'll be unpacking the trailer this week and calling it a season, but I'll have the bullets accessible for the burnoff! Looking forward to a winter brethren get-together sometime in the off-season! Here's a pic of Di's dessert (1st place caramel apple upside-down cakes)scores 999 988 999 999 899 999 Almost perfect 179.4286
dessert.jpg

Wow, those caramel apple upside-down cakes look awesome! Congrats on that win. Also, thanks to you too for being some kick-ass neighbors. I'm still kicking myself for not having gotten around to trying that Hog Jam! Next time, I guess.

Oh, and before I forget, thanks Captain Ron for the morning java! It's the first time we've had a chance to sample your famous brew. Thanks for the hospitality.

Congrats to Cancersuckschicago.com, Stockcar, and the rest of the calls. Hoping to meet the rest of you guys soon!

S h i t a l

Oh, and before I forget, thanks Captain Ron for the morning java! It's the first time we've had a chance to sample your famous brew. Thanks for the hospitality.

You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment! It was good seeing you guys again. I hope you'll show up at more competitions next year.

Dann, tell Diane that the dessert looks fantastic!

Back