Contest Results Barbeque at the Beach Raystown PA 9/2010

Anyone with pictures, I'd love it if you could post them here. Also, if you could let me know if it is ok to repost these on the comp website.

My friend Dawn did. She just dropped a cd off here today but I have not had a chance to look at it yet. It would be simple if I didn't have to find a computer with a cd drive in it! Lol. I'll mKe it a priority tomorrow.

It's official, our KCBS packet has been submitted. It will happen next year! Sept 16-18, 2011! :clap2:

And our proc is already done! 2011 state championship!

Last edited:
Well we have a whole year to nail it all down but I'm thinking of doing a pro and backyard grilling events. The key will be to get more public participation. With us having a committee to organize this we can get the word out and possibly get some DOT programmable signs to announce it on the main travel routes. Also I think in grilling we do an open hamburger and open dessert.

are you still thinking a sunday KCBS? monday mornings after are killers

the biggest complaint I heard was the entrance fee for the public.

are you still thinking a sunday KCBS? monday mornings after are killers

the biggest complaint I heard was the entrance fee for the public.

not only did the public complain but many said they were told the would get free samples from the competitors if they had a wristband. I hope its just a Friday and Saturday event , the Sunday thing was kinda brutal.

Hmmm I will need to adress these issues. We will be bringing in more for the public to justify the entrance fee and at somepoint shortly after the mandatory fee we went to a donation which you had to have a wrist band to be able to buy food from the vendors.

Some of our event was sort of disorganized which came from a lack of communication among our volunteers and the organizers but I believe we had a good base to go forward. The issue with a fri sat kcbs is the same with a sat sun one. Teams travel to get there and need to take fri off work or are exhausted to cook all night and then rush out Saturday. The sat sun comp allows you to relax up to the rush at the end. You are tired mon or you had to take it off to travel home. 6 in one hand and a half doz in the other. I think from an organizer standpoint my job is to make the teams as comfortable as possible and for not having a ton of frills we did that. Sure you couldn't run a space heater and a plasma tv but you had the lights covered and I heard music all night.

I do welcome the suggestions because soon we are going to be meeting with the committee for the second anual event.

you guys did a great job on the event. It was probably the nicest setting Ive ever cooked at. You even had hoses and nozzels ran for each of the teams, which I have never seen.

The "public" may have missunderstood about the wristbands, but several stopped by my space and said the same thing, another team actually called me over and asked me if I knew anything about it. We actually did give those with wristband some pork or what we had.

I appreciate you and any team giving samples. I gave some piggles out to the crowds who stopped by for the demo and phil cooked the stripped bass with mango salsa for those who still had an appetite after the judging.

I have a short list of things I am petitioning for next year and you can add in as you see fit.

-lights for the amphitheater area. I heard it was difficult to navigate without a flashlight. I fell 2x on the path! lol. So even something as simple as some glowstick pathmarkers.

-Signs! We got a late start on this part so we couldnt get them but I'm hoping we can get the DOT programmable highway signs out on 22 and 26 telling about the event. We hit radio and TV and some print ads but it was tough on the budget this year.

- vendors! We had some food vendors which were a huge hit but it would be nice to get people selling BBQ rubs, Sauces, gadgets, pits, teeshirts. that kinda stuff.

-bands. We had a list of bands for this year but the budget forced us to only one which was sponsored along with the DJ at the classic cars. I didnt make it down to see the cars but I know I couldnt hear it in the comp area.

-a bigger airhorn to call out the turn-ins. JUST KIDDING! :heh:

I appreciate you and any team giving samples. I gave some piggles out to the crowds who stopped by for the demo and phil cooked the stripped bass with mango salsa for those who still had an appetite after the judging.
We had people asking where their free food was as well. It's a pretty common phenomenon when you have a fee admission to an event like this.

I have a short list of things I am petitioning for next year and you can add in as you see fit.

-lights for the amphitheater area. I heard it was difficult to navigate without a flashlight. I fell 2x on the path! lol. So even something as simple as some glowstick pathmarkers.
I've seen those cheap solar powered path light spikes at Home Depot for a couple of bucks each. Those might be a reusable solution.

-Signs! We got a late start on this part so we couldnt get them but I'm hoping we can get the DOT programmable highway signs out on 22 and 26 telling about the event. We hit radio and TV and some print ads but it was tough on the budget this year. Be careful here, big highway signs saying "BBQ cookoff" translate in most sheeple's minds to "free food"

- vendors! We had some food vendors which were a huge hit but it would be nice to get people selling BBQ rubs, Sauces, gadgets, pits, teeshirts. that kinda stuff.

-bands. We had a list of bands for this year but the budget forced us to only one which was sponsored along with the DJ at the classic cars. I didnt make it down to see the cars but I know I couldnt hear it in the comp area.
I prefer it this way - I want to be able to talk to people and concentrate on what I'm there for vs having to shout over some band / DJ - Keep them waaaay far away

-a bigger airhorn to call out the turn-ins. JUST KIDDING! :heh:
How about a cannon?

My thoughts:
All in all it was a good event and well run.

• Electric needs to be addressed - Ed came around during turn ins asking us to turn everything off because the upper row was browning out.
  • Split the Chef's choice into savory & desert and drop the pizza. If you're going to keep the burger tighten up the definition of what a burger is. I'm sorry, a taco isn't a burger. Also if you are going to supply the meat for the burger, limit everyone to just that.
  • Hold all the awards in one place - moving down to the lake for 2 awards was just silly. Besides, who knows who else might have ended up swimming:twisted:.
  • More grey water dumps

about the public........no one ask for samples, I could have ignored them tho? Mark (owner of sauce works) put our meat out at the end so people could try his sauce on meat. I really felt bad because we were right across from Tiny(who was vending), everything we cooked was given away.... guess who didnt buy anything from tiny during that time. Vending needs it own location

As one of the 2 bbq food vendors there, and it being a first time event, we had no idea what to expect. We anticipated a better crowd on sunday with the car show than what there was. I was unaware that people were being told that with a wristband that they'd get free samples from the teams. I know that is against the KCBS rules, but I honestly have no issues with it, but the public should not be told they can get free samples, we as vendors go through the expense to be certified, licnese, and insurance to be able to sell food and if the public is getting free samples from teams, why would they buy from us?... we did well on saturday, sunday was a disappointment for us. At larger bbq comps the samples wouldn't be an issue, but with a smaller event and smaller crowds it does effect us.
I'm glad to hear you are going to get some DOT signs out, as coming into the event there wasn't anything. And seeing how we are a bit secluded at the location, if we are asked to come back next year, we would like to offer a breakfast menu so volunteers, teams, etc can get a hot breakfast right there. (similar to what we did at harrisburg) If there is interest in that.
This was our first event we ever competed and vended at at the same time, so it was a learning experience for us, and we certainly look forward to next year, we learned allot, the event itself has allot of potential, and can't wait to see what happens next year.

Back