THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

badger

Bash lurker
Staff member
Admin

Batch Image
I was thinking this morning about one of the bandera's flaws, being on the thin side. And since I will not be able to afford a Klose for quite a while, I was thinking about a mod to make the smoke chamber thicker.

I have a friend that owns a machine shop. What if I were to buy some sheets of steel and cut them to size then weld them in place in the outside of the Bandera's smoke chamber? This would make it more thick, but since it is two pieces of metal welded together (not one thick piece) would it improve the temp holdings?

I do not have any idea what this would cost, or if I would even benifit from it being in northern California where the temps do not get a cold as say Phil's location.

Any idea's?

Kind of like one of those insulated cookie sheets. It wouldn't have the mass of thicker steel, but it should insulate well.

Give it a try and report back. Try insulating your drain mod too.

Being my last class in thermo-dynamics was about 25 years ago, i dont rememebr the details, But i think welding it up against the chamber may act more like a heatsink, transferring heat away, but standing it off, with an airspace in between of 1/4 to 1/2 inch may give you a better result. this is something you need to look up. Or I'll ask Dave Klose next time i speak to him. he'd be able to answer that better. Its a similar design to his insulated fireboxes.

Ignoring for a moment Phil's thermo-dynamics...I was wondering if one could weld together a 3-sided + top (with chimney hole cut out) steel jacket, shroud, enclosure of some sort. It would not have a front, for obvious reasons. This could be lifted over the top and set down over the existing smoke chamber. The questions are: a) Should it? Think Phil's thermo-d concept. b) Would the added weight adversely affect the balance of the Bandera? I suspect you would definitely want to beef up the casters.

Just thinkin'.

firebox heat shield

I've done something similar using commercial grade aluminum baking sheets held away from the BD fire box. Rhight now, this is only on the top as heat rises (thermo 101). The sides would benefit to a lesser degree (pun intended?). And then there's the firebrick bottom mod.

Mark (STL)

The firebrick, of course is a heat sink, and helps not only regulate the heat (less fluctuation) but also helps sustane the heat. A jacket would probably help (ie. the cookie sheet analogy -- insulate) but with the weight and cost would probably not be cost effective for most of us -- if we want a heavy cooker we should buy a heavy cooker.

But, if you have the tools, materials, and/or access (cheap) it would be a worthy experiment :D

The commercial grade aluminum baking sheets I used were free; they wouldn't clean up enough for Hardee's where my wife works and they were going to throw them out. It's a worthwhile mod. I may do the same for the sides space 1/2" to 1" away. You can get them off ebay in the restaraunt supply section or perhaps you can use what you already have, get one from Goodwill, etc. The same concept is used under your car to shield the floor pan from the muffler/tail pipe heat. The tools required is a drill and the only other parts are 4 bolts/nuts. Bottom line: Easy and cheap.

Mark (STL)

Whoa - I think I was the first person to post a reply on this thread and it never showed up. Im having so much problems on my land line with this site right now that I won't bother typing it again though.

Not only will you have to beef up the casters but I would figure with that much extra weight the frame would quickly collapse. I already see mine sagging where the two chambers bolt together

You guys are way too technical.

Here is the smoke chamber insulation mod.

Take 1 cushion from lawn chair.

Wrap around smoke chamber.

45 seconds and your done.

4 months later when Spring rolls around,
Look innocent and stupid when wife looks at mod and realizes "is that the missing cushion to these lawn chairs!!! PHILLIP, GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE!"

Yep, I can see that mod -- oh wait, I've SEEN that mod - in the photos! :D

Lightweight, effective:

WARNING! The Lawn Chair Cushion modification to the Bandera Smoker my cause bruising and concussion when your spouse sees what you've done with her matching cushions!!

I guess I deserve the blame for taking this thread offcourse to the firebox from the smokebox. But to my thinking, that's where the problems are. And having just received a new firebox from NB, I want it to last this time. BTW: last week, I went to a local scrap yard and bought some stainless steel sheet about 1' X 12' as well as some aluminum for $11. I plan on pop riviting some of this to the inside of the new firebox.

willkat98 said:
You guys are way too technical.

Here is the smoke chamber insulation mod.

Take 1 cushion from lawn chair.

Wrap around smoke chamber.

45 seconds and your done.

4 months later when Spring rolls around,
Look innocent and stupid when wife looks at mod and realizes "is that the missing cushion to these lawn chairs!!! PHILLIP, GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE!"

That cushion did its job all winter, and some of our shi*ty spring. I saved the cushion. So it WILL be back on this year. And even better, we bought a new set, so i have the entire OLD set to use.

Guys, the fix is one 4x8 ft sheet of one inch thick comerical heat insulation that is good for 2000F. Sheet are light weight, have a high R level, easy to cut and fasten to out side of Bandera using drilled holes, self tapping sheet metal screws and flat fender warshers. One sheet will do all except underneath smoke chamber and fire box. I used to foam with foil to do this mod last year and it did not hold up, foam melted on side of smoke chamber and all of fire box. Still on top, back and part of front door....do not do this mod..not worth the time.

So why have I not use the 2000F material? It cost $148.00 plus tax for a 4x8 ft sheet and I can justify nor afford to spend the money.

If anyone wants to give this a try, I have all of the sheet cuting measurements and I will give you the material manufacture's phone number so you can buy it local. email me [email protected] if you want info.

P.S. If you are thinking about using a welding shop to weld for you, lowest rate I could find for welding, cutting and fabraction was $70 per hour plus steel cost. Beleive me, steel is not cheap, I know first hand from buying steel for the first 5 baskets! One steel company quoted steel and cuting for the basket with expanded metal at $142.00 and it still need to be welded. Any wonder why everything is being buildt in China?

BigAl said:
Guys, the fix is one 4x8 ft sheet of one inch thick comerical heat insulation that is good for 2000F. Sheet are light weight, have a high R level, easy to cut and fasten to out side of Bandera using drilled holes, self tapping sheet metal screws and flat fender warshers. One sheet will do all except underneath smoke chamber and fire box. I used to foam with foil to do this mod last year and it did not hold up, foam melted on side of smoke chamber and all of fire box. Still on top, back and part of front door....do not do this mod..not worth the time.

So why have I not use the 2000F material? It cost $148.00 plus tax for a 4x8 ft sheet and I can justify nor afford to spend the money.

If anyone wants to give this a try, I have all of the sheet cuting measurements and I will give you the material manufacture's phone number so you can buy it local. email me [email protected] if you want info.
Especially when wood is basically free. Besides. the Bandera is homely enough as it is.

This is all too much trouble. Why not just have your friend make a BBQ pit that meats your personal specs. I have a friend with a home built pit and it is the best pit I have ever seen.

Back