Baking Bread

Awesome thread and some superb bread bakers on this forum.

It's been a few years since I've made bread out on the Kamados, I think I've only baked one loaf since acquiring the Goldens'. I'll definitely have to get back into it.

I made some rolls in the oven for Thanksgiving in the Lodge CI skillet (thanks to John Setzler for the recipe in his forum), brioche rolls during the summer but that's about it.

I've used the no knead dough in the CI Dutch oven method, had to look back through my PhotoBucket pics to find the last loaf I baked, which turns out to be Mrs lunchman's favorite - a Cranberry Raisin Walnut loaf. On the agenda for this weekend, it needs to be made and this thread has provided the inspiration.

-lunchman

bread can definitely be hard! yours looks good though! I made a couple loaves of brioche over the summer and they came out great, but I think it might have been beginners luck lol! I'm actually going to make potato bread tomorrow for the first time, I really hope it comes out good! I'm making the dough tonight! I just got a kitchen aid mixer a few months ago and it's a huge help, the brioche was one of the first things I made with it!

40102945_256427735228835_3029731722292887552_n.jpg

40141633_256427705228838_5427632858665582592_n.jpg

Have a recipe you care to share?

Awesome thread and some superb bread bakers on this forum.

It's been a few years since I've made bread out on the Kamados, I think I've only baked one loaf since acquiring the Goldens'. I'll definitely have to get back into it.

I made some rolls in the oven for Thanksgiving in the Lodge CI skillet (thanks to John Setzler for the recipe in his forum), brioche rolls during the summer but that's about it.

I've used the no knead dough in the CI Dutch oven method, had to look back through my PhotoBucket pics to find the last loaf I baked, which turns out to be Mrs lunchman's favorite - a Cranberry Raisin Walnut loaf. On the agenda for this weekend, it needs to be made and this thread has provided the inspiration.

-lunchman

That looks steller. I would love this recipe!

That looks steller. I would love this recipe!

Turns out I *had* made this on the Golden's Cast Iron before and posted a baking thread here -

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252360

I don't know if I have the recipe in electronic format since I own Jim Lahey's No Knead Bread book. A Google search of "Jim Lahey No Knead Cinnamon Raisin Bread" yielded some online recipes, here's one link:

https://www.kitchenhealssoul.com/no-knead-cinnamon-raisin-bread/

Regards,
-lunchman

I've been looking at bread for awhile now. Kinda scared like:shock: But I think this thread has been the inspiration I needed to give it a go!

I've been looking at bread for awhile now. Kinda scared like:shock: But I think this thread has been the inspiration I needed to give it a go!

Go for it, it's fun! Kind of like Playdough for adults. The secret for consistent results is to mix by weight, it's a game changer. But if you don't have a scale, just hold some of the flour back when mixing, then add it to the extent needed. Or pick a no-kneed recipe to start out with. My biggest failures, I've been able to scrape the burnt parts off or use it to thicken soup.

Go for it, it's fun! Kind of like Playdough for adults. The secret for consistent results is to mix by weight, it's a game changer. But if you don't have a scale, just hold some of the flour back when mixing, then add it to the extent needed. Or pick a no-kneed recipe to start out with. My biggest failures, I've been able to scrape the burnt parts off or use it to thicken soup.

+1, try it. What's the worst that can happen? Even if you have a total failure, it's just flour. Way cheaper than messing up a $75 brisket!

Looks like a tasty mistake Maddie!

If you don't already get a scale to weigh the ingredients, that way you know what your hydration is.

I am currently in a (sourdough) pizza and flat bread stage (ever since I bought an uuni).
But the rains have started now, so I've had to move everything to keep it dry, meaning I'll go back to sourdough bread...

I just finished my seed culture and will be turning it in to a mother starter today. Never messed with sourdough. Going to try some different breads.

I just finished my seed culture and will be turning it in to a mother starter today. Never messed with sourdough. Going to try some different breads.

How'd you make your 'seed culture'? That's not a term I'm familiar with. There's lots of bread making terms I'm not familiar with though haha!

favorite ciabatta roll recipe? or pretzel buns?

I've been looking with envy at the results of your baking, and wonder if any of you have a favorite recipe for either ciabatta rolls or pretzel buns?

Back