Baking Bread

not exactly a loaf of bread, but I did use a yeast dough so I'm going to post this here...

today I made cinnamon rolls!

Not just any cinnamon rolls though, I've been on a cranberry kick lately so I decided to do cranberry orange walnut ones! I rolled out the dough and then covered it in butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and then I topped half of the dough with craisins and chopped walnuts! I rolled it up and then I sliced the roll and let the slices proof for about half hour and then I baked them!

47367318_332419057629702_3631358298596311040_n.jpg

I did half of the batch with the craisins and nuts but then I did the other half plain. for the plain half I made a cream cheese icing but I didn't take any pics of those ones. for the cranberry side I made a cranberry glaze and then I drizzled on an orange glaze too! They came out really good! I didn't use the full packet of yeast like the recipe called for, but I did use most of it. I let it proof for about an hour before I rolled it out, then for the 2nd proof I only did 30 minutes, even though the recipe said to do 45. I also kept a good eye on them while they were baking so I didn't over cook them, I think they came out perfect! I brought the pan to a friend's house for a football came and everyone liked them!

47396575_332418990963042_2643257022966923264_n.jpg

47477602_332419017629706_9106628452018028544_n.jpg

Those look off the hook good!

Know pretty much nothing about baking but love great bread. My mom use to make plain white bread and it was awesome, especially warm, fresh out of the oven with some butter. She also made killer saffron bread.

Caraway rye has been a longtime favorite. Only thing better to me is a hardcore sourdough but finding one has become increasingly difficult over the years.

I had a neighbor years ago when I was only 10 years old. She was a sweet old lady whose husband had died. I would help around her house cleaning up the yard, shoveling snow and whatever she needed.

She would reward us with fresh baked bread. It was the most wonderful bread you ever had. Soft, buttery and warm. I will never forget her or her bread.

Maybe one day I can duplicate that bread.

Know pretty much nothing about baking but love great bread. My mom use to make plain white bread and it was awesome, especially warm, fresh out of the oven with some butter. She also made killer saffron bread.

Caraway rye has been a longtime favorite. Only thing better to me is a hardcore sourdough but finding one has become increasingly difficult over the years.

Sounds like you need to learn how to make sourdough! If I can do it, anyone can do it haha.

Cinnamon Raisin Cranberry Walnut

Back in the swing of things. Jim Lahey's no-knead recipe.

I made the dough yesterday morning, allowed it to rise overnite, baked it early this morning. Nothing like the smell of bread baking before 7am! Baked in the oven, not out on any of the grills.

It seems a bit denser than normal, but I overloaded it with raisins, cranberries and walnuts (3x what's called for). But that's the way my wife likes it and she's the only one I need to please. She approves, which is all that matters. :grin:

-Dom

Back in the swing of things. Jim Lahey's no-knead recipe.

I made the dough yesterday morning, allowed it to rise overnite, baked it early this morning. Nothing like the smell of bread baking before 7am! Baked in the oven, not out on any of the grills.

It seems a bit denser than normal, but I overloaded it with raisins, cranberries and walnuts (3x what's called for). But that's the way my wife likes it and she's the only one I need to please. She approves, which is all that matters. :grin:

-Dom

That looks great!

I read somewhere that raisins have a chemical in them that effects the rise of the dough. They say to soak the raisins before using them and then put them in last at the final mixing to help with the rise.

Bread-4.jpg

Bread-5.jpg

Bread-7.jpg

Turned out very well. With the cinnamon it made it very much like raisin bread. Next time no cinnamon and less sugar.

Back