THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
Yesterday I had picked up a package of spares from Sam's. I was in the process of trimming them up to throw on the smoker. My plan was to eat one rack and vac seal up the rest for my father-in-law. But, some good friends of ours called and told us about some bad family news they had just received. Nasty cancer in the family. My wife went over there and I offered to share my ribs with them. They share a lot of BBQ with us, so there was no hesitation in taking us up on that. :-D

The ribs went on my Pitmaster iQ controlled UDS at 275* and completely filled the top rack. After 4:45 minutes, they looked to be almost done. The short end of each rack glazed of some watered down Big Butz original and another 10 minutes. After that, off and wrapped in some foil for the 20 minute drive across town. Upon arrival, our friends children informed us upon walking in that they had been waiting all day for ribs in an annoyed voice. :-D

Contestant #1 - Our friends kids love Steph's Simply Marvelous Cherry rub. They scream for it. I was out, but did have have some SM Sweet Seduction. I hit the rack first with first with light to medium coat SM Season All then a light to medium coat of Sweet Seduction. This one was the favorite of our friend's 7 year old daughter who ate 7 bones total last night. :shocked: Same girl who didn't eat meat or much of anything last year. I enjoyed it. SM Cherry or Sweet Seduction isn't my personal favorite, but this was good. It was sweet and not overpowering. I think the Season All adds something my taste buds need. I'm glad Steph recommended this combo. It will remain in my rotation.

Contestant #2 - My wife's co-worker from Alabama recently was in town and brought her a jar of rub from "The Loveless Cafe". She said it was her favorite rub. I'm told they know BBQ in Alabama, so I was anxious to give this rub a try. Gave the rack a good solid medium to heavy coat. This rub stayed real dry on the surface, even after sitting on the counter for about 40 mins. This one was the favorite of our friends 6 year old daughter. After eating one bone of the SM, and one bone of Loveless, she went back for seconds on the Loveless. Coming from the a rub that had no heat, it was somewhat humorous when everyone took a bite simultaneously and simultaneous exclaimed that this rub had heat. It was a very mild heat, no burn. Kind of the way I like the heat. Something to tickle your taste buds, but no after effects and nothing making you reach for water. Many of you probably would wouldn't even feel the heat and laugh at the suggestion that this one had heat. :icon_blush: I enjoyed it.

Contestant #3 - The last of my bottle of 3Eyz. I gave the top a medium coat and fliped them and got just a little on the bottom before I was out. I had just a smige left of Big Butz Pig Powder, so this went on the bottom too. And both were gone. :-( This rack was my favorite. I bit into one of the ends while cutting and had that oh my gosh reaction. I did a butt back at labor day using 3 Eyz and had the same reaction. It has the most savoriness and flavor penetration. No heat, but I don't miss it. Once I clear out some of the other rubs in my closet, there is going to be a 5# bag ordered.

So each rub was a winner. It was a good, uplifting time. BBQ truly can make everything better. :thumb:

I'm sorry that your friends received bad new, but it sounds like the rib cookoff was a success! It sounds like you glazed half of each rack. Any comments about dry vs. glazed?

Thanks Ron.

I'm liking Big Butz more and more, but i'm just not a sauce guy. To me, once I sauce I can't taste much anything else. Thinning the sauce with a little water helped. I think I prefer savory and slighty spicy to sweet. But, I'm weird around here. My wife and everyone else prefers sauced.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Back