THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've never had trouble pulling pork. But I buy where its cheapest. We have fresh mart here in town. The cut the butts for groger, Walmart,sparkle you name it same meat different lablels. So no idea. 190-195 should be done but I always FTC mine 2-3 hours. And they pull like butter.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ate some of the pork tonight. It actually tasted fine. It was not as chewy as I thought it would be, because of how it pulled. The taste was great, typical. The texture was not as good as I like, mainly because it was chopped with a small amount being pulled. I am cooking two shoulders this weekend, some chickens and a packer. I will refer to it as a make up cook, its for my birthday bash!

Paul

I hate to tell ya but Kroger doesnt cut butts, let alone do any real butchering.

They buy their meat from the same retailers as Sams, Costco, Meijer and others. It comes in cryovac 2 pacs. Usually opened and re wraped with their sticker for pricing.

If your Kroger has butts AND picnics, then ignore me completely. :thumb:

Bought a boneless single porkbutt that had been deboned and wrapped into a string netting 2 days before Thanksgiving at Krogers. It was packaged in a black styrofoam bottom tray with shrink wrapped cellophane on it. It weighed just over 5#. I was short on time, didn't want to do the 56 mile round trip to Sams Club.
No dual bone in butts in cryovac at Krogers.
I smoked it on Thanksgiving Day, we enjoyed it with family that evening.

I flat promise you I will make the round trip to Sams Club to get the dual butts in cryovac nextime.

I bought a pork loin at Kroger one time and found it to be so slimy that I couldn't even hang on to it to rinse. Once rinsed, I sliced it up into thick boneless chops and the first one slid off the glass plate.

I've cooked a lot of pork (A LOT) and I have never seen this before. No smell, just slimy. I called the meat department at Kroger and he gave me the "yeah, sometimes it's like that". I threw it in the trash and had to cook chicken because I was out of time.

The only meat I get from Kroger now is frozen chicken breasts or ground beef...that's it! All other types come from Sam's or RD.

just my .02, I alos go by feel of the probel, but peek at the temp shile doing it.. I have had butts that had to go over 200 to get to the texture i want. sometimes it just needs a higher spike to break down.

Back