BACON - 4 different recipes....ALL DELICIOUS!

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
So a while back we got a line on a whole hog, which we shares SOME of with other families we know, but I had a special request for both of the fresh pork bellies!

After coming here for same recipe help, I'm proud to say I've officially home cured some BACON on my own! I wanted to try different things, so I went with FOUR different recipes, one for each 5 lb slab of trimmed belly I ended up with.

Here's the WHOLE story.....

So here are the 4 recipes I settled on.....

Cowgirl's Backloin and Pea Meal Bacon

Brother Bourbon Barrel BBQ (Drew)'s Honey Cured Bacon

Mr. Christer's Recipe that he offered in my recipe search thread

And finally, a recipe from one of my favorite books "Charcuterie": Maple Cured Smoked Bacon

I started off with a nice big bag of untrimmed bellies (the hog was literally walking just 2 days prior to this)....

P2120003_zps7hbmojmb.jpg

P2120001_zpsli9qsimx.jpg

...so that's just above 26 lbs for those that may think "WOW....that's a LIGHT buncha belly!"

Here, my cute little assistant was helping me weigh them separately:

P2120005_zps0sfn24fm.jpg

P2120007_zps5hqima8w.jpg

So, I didn't get photos of the actual curing PROCESS, but after I followed each of the above four recipes, I had everything double bagged with 2 gallon ziplocks and ready for the long 7 day nap in the garage fridge.....

P2120011_zpsyflus3uk.jpg

Here's what one of the 5 lb slabs looked after trimming, but before curing....

P2120008_zpslmuxpajg.jpg

BONUS! Now I have a couple of packages of PORK BELLY TRIMMINGS in the freezer now too! :thumb:

P2120012_zpsy7stlbuz.jpg

So I got this pork on a Saturday, Started curing it on Sunday afternoon, gave it 7 full days in the cure, after which I took the slabs out of the cure, rinsed off the cure, patted dry and set up on cooling racks and kept them apart and let them develop a nice pellicle on the outside. This helps smoke adhesion.

By then it was Wednesday......and here's what they looked like...

P2200013_zpsh3mnhvgc.jpg

P2200012_zpsgnasimcp.jpg

P2200011_zpsryo6yvpe.jpg

And YES.....I kept track of which one was which. It wasn't easy....but I'm a pretty smart fella.

:becky:

At this point it was time for a salt taste test.
If, at this point, the bacon is too salty, you can always soak it overnight to remove some of the saltiness. Once smoked, there's no going back, so I checked. HAD TO TASTE ALL 4 SLABS TOO!

....which didn't suck.

P2210020_zps1cbiigt8.jpg

P2210022_zpswkq9jnkn.jpg

TIME TO SMOKE THE BACON!

It was a nice cold winter day on the day I decided to smoke these, which made COLD SMOKING much easier!

I tied up all the slabs with some heavy butchers twine for hanging....

P2250051_zpsbh6ghg5p.jpg

...removed all the lower racks in my gravity fed smoker and hung em.....

P2250053_zpszx6xfeh8.jpg

Set up my new A-MAZE-N smoke maze in the bottom of the smoke chamber, all filled up with cherry pellets......

P2250054_zpsas9uznxn.jpg

P2250057_zpsaskpsjd1.jpg

I used the guru just to keep fresh air moving through the smoker so as to prevent stale smoke. I let them cold smoke at about 45-50 degrees for 11-12 hours. Battery died in the camera and I didn't get a smoked photo hanging. FAIL.

BUT, here's what they all looked like after smoking and an overnight rest in the fridge......

P2270068_zpsrqufli1b.jpg

P2270069_zpsykwz72yf.jpg

...and on the cutting board....

P2270070_zpsex76plzs.jpg

And then the slicing happened.....

P2270071_zps70qwfrwn.jpg

....and then the BEST PART.....the TASTING!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

P2270072_zpsjts6on2h.jpg

......then the inevitable portioning and vacuum sealing.....

P2270073_zpsl9fwjii7.jpg

P2270074_zps8qfg3l2r.jpg

P2270075_zpsirtvc5cj.jpg

P2270076_zpsrf7mkm94.jpg

P2270077_zpsrd2y3omr.jpg

FINALLY last weekend I was able to actually cook some of the finished product for breakfast. I did a lb of Drew's and a lb of Cowgirl's.

P3190036_zps69erumok.jpg

P3190039_zps1kbg9zzo.jpg

What I found particularly interesting is how much the flavors changed with the addition of the smoke, and it wasn't JUST the smoke that was the difference in the flavors. The smoke would enhance some flavors and tone down others it seemed.

Drew's, of instance, tasted pretty salty after curing. I didn't soak it because it wasn't too far over the line I didn't think. After smoking, the saltiness had leveled out a bit. It seemed to me that after sealing and freezing, the saltiness returned a bit, though still not overly so.

This was a great experience and something I've wanted to do for YEARS.

After all that work of doing 4 different recipes, keeping things straight and separate......I can't decide which one I like better! HAHAHA!!!!

Mr. Christer's seemed a pretty classic bacon taste, well balanced.
Drew's had more of a sweet note with the honey in the cure and a little more salty finish.
Polcyn's recipe also had sweetness, but more complex due to the maple I think.
Cowgirl's recipe was the most interesting to me. It wasn't quite as sweet and had more savory notes due to the garlic and onion powder. I skipped the cayenne in her recipe this time, but I'll be that's good.

I know that one thing you can do just before smoking is to add some more black pepper. I didn't do this because I wanted to keep things simple and, because this was my first go, wanted a base line to build from.

I can tell you one thing for sure.....this won't be the last time I cure and smoke my own bacon!

Thanks for looking!

Wow. What a great pictorial and cool thing to try 4 recipes at once. Looks like you're good and stocked up on bacon for a while now.

I've been wanting to try this too, but haven't worked up the courage yet.

Fantastic post! All those look great and I'm sure they taste great. You're saving ends and cut off for beans, greens, etc. - right?

All I can say is: that's epic!

Stand aside Achilles and Spartacus! The bacon warrior is here!

Really appreciate it. The only one of those I've made is the one from Charcuterie, which is sort of our standby. Great to get the comparisons!

They all look killer!
Glad to hear my recipe worked out well for you. I have a habit of experimenting with flavors. Once I get the cure amount down, I like to add different flavors. Some experiments have turned out better than others but it's all fun. :grin:

Great pics and your slices are outstanding! Very nice Wampus. :cool: :grin:

Very, very nice!

[psst - you forgot to put the muffin in your final pic!]

THAT, my friend, was a biscuit.....and I don't eat much carbs.
I had to try a spoonful of the homemade home fries, but no biscuit for me. :becky:

They all look killer!
Glad to hear my recipe worked out well for you. I have a habit of experimenting with flavors. Once I get the cure amount down, I like to add different flavors. Some experiments have turned out better than others but it's all fun. :grin:

Great pics and your slices are outstanding! Very nice Wampus. :cool: :grin:

YES! I really like the savory flavors you had in your mix. All the garlic, onion really stood out.

One thing I didn't mention is that yours was the only one of the 4 recipes that used Tenderquick rather than pink salt. Have you tried the pink salt/Instacure? Any particular reason you've settled on Tenderquick?

Wow! Great looking bacon! and tackling 4 varieties on your first try. I have been making my own for a few years now and it is very hard to go back to that store bought stuff!

Back