Backyarders at the Royal

htrisna

Take a breath!
Hi,
I've never been to The Royal, or any competition event hardly. I'm a backyarder who does occasional amateur catering but a total barbecue enthusiast. Is there a way for someone like me to take in the Royal without competing? Are there vendors there that sell good barbecue for the likes of me to sample? What is going on there that would be enjoyable for someone like me?

I live in Houston, and I tried to walk through HLSR bbq cookoff a couple of years ago, and it was a totally sucky experience. All the tents are private, and the only vendors are fairgrounds crap. Funnel cakes, Turkey Legs, Hot Dogs, Churros. They give each attendee one sloppy joe's sandwich and chips. What a joke of an experience.

Wondering if The Royal experience would be different.

The vending will be similar. There are multiple companies that market and sell at the Royal - everything from sauces/spices and cookers to cutlery, jewelry and dog training.

However, if you can find a large web forum where the people are great (I think you may have already found this) and say hi to them in person (when they are not busy of course), you're bound to make friends. In fact, if you want to make more of it, become a CBJ, if you're not already, and judge the Royal. Or you could volunteer for the weekend.

Is it a big festival where you can sample from multiple teams or buy from them, no. It would help to find a team and arrange a visit before the journey, but overall, it's what you make of it.

Becoming a CBJ is a great start. Another us to become friends with competitors. There is the Brethren connection

You should look into the Gulf Coast BBQ, and lone star BBQ Association, I have friends in both, and that is a plus, it gets you a little more familiar and a really good insight, but never the less with both of these associations you can latterly walk up and talk to just about anyone there, at times they may be to busy to stop what they are doing, but at other times if you stop you wont be able to leave with out trying their Q, and a shot or two of tequila. I would recommend looking at their team rosters and try to find a team close to you and become friends with them, offer to help schlep a little if need be, but most will welcome you.

One job that most teams would welcome if you're in decent shape and will pay your own expenses is runner/errand guy.

I think you would be disappointed going to the Royal for the purpose you have in mind. Going there not knowing anyone and wanting to eat good BBQ and for what it will cost you overall I wouldn't recommend it. Hook up with a bbq-brethern and go to a contest where they are competing and you will feel you are a part of it and eat good food.

I figure so. Thank you all!

I think you would be disappointed going to the Royal for the purpose you have in mind. Going there not knowing anyone and wanting to eat good BBQ and for what it will cost you overall I wouldn't recommend it. Hook up with a bbq-brethern and go to a contest where they are competing and you will feel you are a part of it and eat good food.

The Royal decrees that is it verboten to sample out to the general public during the weekend. That being said, teams can feed family and friends in their cooking space. Needless to say we somehow often find long, long, lonnnngggg lost family and friends we forgot we even knew, who we invite in and feed. So if someone invites you into their space, or "around back" you may get some good eats, and have a new friend.

Hey Haniel...

I just saw on Facebook that Plowboys BBQ (A Brethren business) is vending at the Royal! If you go make sure you stop by. Todd's food is great!

Thanks, but before I commit to go, I have to make sure there's enough for a non competitor to do there. Based on this thread, there aren't many vendors out there for the public?

So if a Royal veteran wants to show a rookie the ropes, it'll be great. I'll post this question again come February for HLSR Cookoff and maybe a team will adopt me as a runner.

Hey Haniel...

I just saw on Facebook that Plowboys BBQ (A Brethren business) is vending at the Royal! If you go make sure you stop by. Todd's food is great!

Back