Backing out of a Traeger, what should I get instead?

While the GMG is a nice smoker, the Yoder is really a nice step up. Get a 640 and you won't be sorry.

We have the GMG and use it alot. I am very impressed with the Yoder.

I have found that I cannot live with just one grill!

I need several to do the different things I want and am adding to the collection / Aresnal all the time

It all depends on what you want to cook, how much you want to tend to the cook, budget, and personal choices. If I had the $ and was going with a pellet grill, I would be leaning towards the Yoder

Good luck choosing!
SD

My first foray into the world of pellet grills was also with the Lil Tex Elite. I enjoyed several years of continuous use with the Traeger, but found myself wanting to step up to the next level. Walked into what I think is the same Anaheim Hills dealer that you are referring to to purchase yet another part for my grill when I first saw the Yoder. Long story short, after much research and saving, I am the proud owner of a YS-640. Bottom line: you cannot compare the performance and quality of these two units. Everything that you read about the performance and support with the Yoders is true. And if this is the same shop, the owner Paul is a first class individual.

Went up and looked at the grills today, Paul was great. The Yoder is indeed built like a tank, but the flat black paint job rubbed off easy in the areas where the parts moved. (They had one they use on display). Not sure why they wouldnt include a variable speed fan on their controller either, seems a simple & smart idea. Im sure they will upgrade the controller at some point.
We actually liked the Mak 1 star more than expected. The one he had was powder coated & looks a lot better than the stainless version. He had a great price/bundle too. However it did confirm (in my opinion) that the Mak is overpriced.
There was another customer there that happened to be a Yoder owner & he absolutely loved it.
The only downside we saw with the Yoder was how effing heavy the lid was. That would get annoying if we used it daily. Unfortunately Paul wont have any Yoders for a few weeks & since he is a 100 mile drive I may have to order direct.
Im sure the Mak 1 would suit our needs, but I feel the Yoder would hold upgraditus at bay much longer.

You grow to enjoy the heavy lid. It reminds you every time you use it about the quality cooker you are using. After using it for a few cooks and you lift the lid of another cooker, they feel cheap in comparison to the Yoder.

Yoder also recently changed the door hinges to stainless, so you don't have to worry about paint coming off of those.

Good luck with your decision.

And the winner is...

A Louisiana CS-680!

Found a lightly used unit a couple hours away, & couldn't pass it up. Its no Yoder, but its still a great grill.

It was quite an adventure, & definitely a reminder of why I avoid the highways during rush hour.

For anyone who wondered, yes, a CS-680 will fit into a Subaru Forester.
20131104_172738.jpg

On the way back there was a pretty bad wreck on the 5 that we saw first hand. We were one car back, it was pretty sketchy.

20131104_181807.jpg

But in the end, I have the grill! Tonight, sleep. Tomorrow, BACON!

20131104_204231.jpg

Thanks for all the information, I look forward to learning lots more!

Back