Babybacks, are they different from

I had a butcher that told me that when they butchered, they could call them baby backs if the pig was at XXX pounds or under. After a certain weight, they had to be called loinbacks.

Here is a pic of what I bought.
leftovers.jpg

MY understanding of the terminology is similar to what was explained earlier with a little differentiation between baby backs and loin backs.

The baby backs have an average rack weight of 1.5 lbs or less (1.5 & downs)

The loin backs are from 2.25 lbs down to 1.5 lbs. (2-1/4 & downs)

The "baby back" and "loin back" are the same cut. The "loin backs" would be from an older/heavier hog.

CHit Jacob! Do you go to the Sams in Fountain Valley? I think you buy the same exact thing I do. BB's, Untrimmed briskets you gotta ring the bell and ask the meat cutter for , and the kolsa pilbossa.

Ya know, lately I've been buying these folded up cheap funky looking cuts of ribs at Staters. The label might say "loin back" or just "rib meat". They cost like 2 to 5 bucks a rack. Lots of meat, and fun to cook on the kettle. My kids kill them before I even get a bite.

I have to travel for mine. Second star to the right and straight on til morning.

I'll leave you with this thought. The owner of the co where I work asked yesterday. With all the hours you have been working lately where do you find the time for BBQ? I replied, do you remember the water heater that busted last weekend? Yes he said. That was the ribs you ate that Monday.:biggrin:

Back