Baby Blues in San Francisco

Bring it on!!!!!

Chinatown Crawl. Battle Offal!

I think they called them waterdog dumpling, it was in a basement off of Grant.
I think those xtra large wontons are called "shui jiao" or 水餃. They are similar in construction to the dumplings on your blog landarc.

Water dog is a bastardization of the second word which sounds almost the same, shui gou or 水狗. I'm not sure if they did that as a joke, for a cool name to sell more dogs, or because of a dirty little secret (bark, bark). Probably all three. There are a version of these called "Rising Phoenix water dumplings" that are shaped liked coin purses. My gradfather made those on special occasions.

I know you hate travelogues but there was an Anthony Bourdain episode where he ate these in Singapore and thought they were the bomb. It was a great episode for pron.

My house Chinese is so bad I am ashamed of it but I guess it can come into handy sometimes for basic food etymology. My Mom always blamed my Swedish Dad's genes for that.

For nostalgia's sake I'm sure we can find you a good place for those again landarc.

Shui gao, or however it is spelled is it. Man, those were good. It was a special treat when we went over from the flower market to get those. We should get BBQ Grail some moon cake, don't those come with lima bean? Or the cheaper jin dui, with the yellow paste (hehe). Or Hung Tao Yee Won Ton, you can't beat fried won tons in gravy.

Or Hung Tao Yee Won Ton, you can't beat fried won tons in gravy.

I'd like to try those. I've seen the fried ones put into wonton soup at a couple restaurants. Maybe I'll try frying some of the homemade wontons I have sitting the freezer for lunch. I'm still not hungry in the wake of WMBD.

Back