THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone ever tried this without alcohol? I don't drink so don't have any at home, but it wouldn't be the first time I go out and buy some just for a recipe. Friends usually like that idea cause I give it away when I'm done.

The honey Bourbon gives the recipe a unique flavor profile. The alcohol is long gone by the end of the cook so you really don't have to worry about serving booze infused beans. I recommend not to skip the booze. :thumb:

Didn't read the entire thread (but did copy the recipe :wink:), so forgive me if it's been mentioned. Our family has two members who are recovering and have been away from alcohol for over a decade. According to Absolute Advocacy, even a dish that has been cooking in excess of two hours can still have 10% of the alcohol remaining in the food. There is also the possibility of a taste trigger.

Some may disagree with that and I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but if this applies to family and/or friends who may be eating your food, a decent substitute for bourbon is one part vanilla extract and two parts water. I have tasted sauces made each way and I could not taste a difference (may be a statement about my palate). I'm from the "better safe than sorry" school.

Just a thought.

Back