Authentic barbacoa?

Thanks for posting this process for us. I really appreciate the pics and your opinion on how it all went. Was it difficult getting the head , can you tell us your source? What did you think of the taste and texture of the meats?

Great job. It is a lot of work for very little meat. But, you can at least say you did it. Nice pit too. I'd hit that!

Thanks for posting this process for us. I really appreciate the pics and your opinion on how it all went. Was it difficult getting the head , can you tell us your source? What did you think of the taste and texture of the meats?

Getting a cow head is pretty easy here in Texas. Fiesta carries them in the cooler with the rest of the meat. I would try any larger Mexican grocery store.

Good looking job, yeah, sometimes the reality is a lot of work for little payback. My understanding from my old Mexican crew was that they did a pit version with lots of leaves and steer heads to make it worth the effort. Essentially, no wrapping.

My wife freaked when she saw that head sitting there. No way she'd have one in the house looking at her. She even gets the willys seeing the tounge laying there.

Back