THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ham14

Take a breath!
Which one would you go with. I know a good bit about the assassin 17 but don't know much about the southern q limo jr. It's his smaller gravity fed. Any info and options would be great. How does the jr work compared to the 17. Break it down for me lol. Thanks everyone

Yeah I got a buddy with one and they are nice but I'm really interested in the gravity fed. There all in ga so I won't have to get shipped. Thanks though

I would go with the Assassin 17 so I can see your videos and maybe buy one :mrgreen: I have been eye balling this unit but have not seen many reviews on this unit .

Really thinking on it. You know I will have lots of videos when I get something.

I got a bad itch for a smoker. I have such bad patience. I was hoping my buddy would be able to build a smoker for me but I can't hold a dollar lol.

I own a Limo Jr and like it very much. It's a great smoker...heavy, well made, and cooks like a charm.

I've no experience with Assassins, but from all I've seen and read, I suspect they're equally well made...I'd say you'll be thrilled with either one.

Red

They are a touch cheaper than the 17. Tough choices

Last edited:
I'd look at the different specs and go from there. At first glance, the limo Jr has a little wider internal dimension, which means more air flow, which is super important on a gravity feed. I don't see weights listed on either site but that could be a consideration as well. I had one of the larger assassin clones (Superior) and my biggest issue with it was the hot spot on the bottom grate...it was more of a grilling surface it got so hot.

I don't think you could go wrong with either as well as Stumps or Deep South, all are over kill for the Back Yard enthusiast and if taken care of will last a lifetime. Personally since you've dealt with Jeff in the past I'd probably give him my business. Also would be looking at CL for a we'll cared for used unit from any one of the manufactures I mentioned above.

These are also the times you wish you owned a truck or had a friend with one. Uhaul gets expensive after 2 trips to Macon lol.

I would go with the Assassin 17 so I can see your videos and maybe buy one :mrgreen: I have been eye balling this unit but have not seen many reviews on this unit .

Its a great smoker. I did a review of mine a while back - see link below. Someone asked me recently what would I take for my Assassin 17. I told them they could buy a new one at retail cheaper. If you have any questions about the Assassin 17, I'll be glad to answer.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231165

Jeff is much easier to work with and when it's time to buy it will be assassin.

Back