THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeffry
Finally all settled down in GA and and ready to pull the trigger. Looking into buying an Assassin 17, Southern Q Limo Jr, or Cascade Que-Deville. I already talked to Scott at Southern Q. Very impressed. I have Jeff’s 48” charcoal so I know him and his work very well. The 2 big plus’s with either of them is it’s a fairly short drive from the house to pick them up. I like the look and features of the Cascade, but I’m not sure I want to pay the shipping costs vs picking up the other 2. Insights from anyone?

In my opinion, I always buy local if feasible. You have some great manufacturers nearby. Assassin and Southern Q both make great units. I’m partial to the Southern Q myself, but Assassin, and also Deep South and Stumps are all top class Georgian made cookers. Not trying to knock the Cascades at all, but with your location, I wouldn’t even consider them. The Georgian cookers are all something you can drive and pick up and shake hands with the person that made it.

My Limo Jr. impresses me every time I use it.

P.S. for something a little different, which you probably aren’t looking for, check out the Goldens cast iron Kamados, which are made right in Columbus GA. Lunchman from this site, has one and has made Some fabulous looking stuff on it.

Last edited:
My Limo Jr. impresses me every time I use it. P.S. for something a little different said:
Yeah. I’ve been eyeing a Limo Jr for some time. Probably the way I’m leaning. The place I bought my lawn mower and chain saw sells the Golden Kamado. It’s a unique cooker for sure. I got some hands on and if I were to ever want something along those lines, I would definitely get it.

I have the Assassin 28 and it is great for me. I got to see the 1st ever Assassin 17 when I picked up my 28 and it is equally as good. Jeff & Co. are good folks.

I'm with the others in regards to shipping local would be best. But if you look at the weight of the smokers with the Southern Q limo Jr. at 290 lbs the Assassin 17 at 375 lbs and the Cascade Smokers Que Deville at 500+ lbs. the value is in the Que Deville. To me weight = heat retention and efficiency. Just a different perspective on things but with the additional shipping costs the heat retention and efficiency may lose it's appeal.

I'm with the others in regards to shipping local would be best. But if you look at the weight of the smokers with the Southern Q limo Jr. at 290 lbs the Assassin 17 at 375 lbs and the Cascade Smokers Que Deville at 500+ lbs. the value is in the Que Deville. To me weight = heat retention and efficiency. Just a different perspective on things but with the additional shipping costs the heat retention and efficiency may lose it's appeal.

Having a Limo Jr., I cannot imagine another cabinet cooker having that much better heat retention. This thing runs like an oven. That said, I appreciate not having the extra weight when I have to move it.

I believe weight is relative. If you look at the description, the Limo Jr is made of 12 and 14 huge steel respectively. Assassin uses 14 and 18 gauge. The insulation Limo Jr uses is 1200 and Assassin doesn’t list. Where’s Assassin getting the extra weight considering it’s thinner steel. I think both could hold their own against any cooker out there to include Cascade and Deep South

I'm not local - NJ, and I went with Jeff's Assassin 24. With the shipping costs and all it was the best choice in cookers I've ever made. Jeff suffered all of my questions and delivered the smoker of my dreams.

I smile every time I start a fire in it. :-D

Back