Are You influenced by "influencers"

My tongue in cheek point above was that of an evolution/adaption of social media (primarily youtube, but its all over Reels, Tok, and the rest) went from normal Joe's and Jane's putting a camera (yes, it started with camera's before the phones) on a tripod and filming their cooks, to a fully paid commercial ad for one product (line) or another.

When I first got a Blackstone 5 or so years ago, I stumbled upon a loose knit group online in which a woman calling herself Blackstone Betty was cooking up all kinds of stuff. Just a Southern (sounding) woman out on the deck cooking up griddle items and putting it online.

In the past 5 years, she and a group of other Blackstone users were assembled, by Blackstone, to do exclusive content on somewhat of a Blackstone "set" using wall to wall Blackstone products. They rolled it out when they expanded their product line from griddles to the entire outdoor cooking environment.

It was a smart move by Blackstone. They pull together 5 or 6 people that already have an online following, give them all a bunch of your new line up of griddles, pizza ovens, airfryers, deep fryers, etc and you have an instant following and an instant library of reference material for people considering your product(s) to see them in action.

They all promote these videos under one Blackstone Griddles branded Y-Tube channel.

I also have watched a guy named Johnny Brunet who, although he has thousands and thousands more views as the griddle market took off, he has pretty much stayed just a backyard (side yard, actually) kinda guy in Columbus Ohio who is just a regular Joe that will be standing out in the cold on the side of his house with a breakfast beer in one hand and splitting time between (I think) a beat up Blackstone and a Camp Chef griddle(s) cooking away. Nothing fancy. No constant mention of a product line he is pushing. Honest reviews of all the brands.

He might influence the beer I'm drinking, but thats about it.

For the life of me I can't imagine the need for an outdoor air fryer or anything else the corporate (Blackstone was my example) infomercials are pushing, but to each his own.

I'll tell you one thing I do like to do, is break out of the "influence" of the Y-Tube algorithm. I access y-Tube through a few different portals. I have the app on my Xbox, on the Firestick, on the laptop, and on my phone. I am not logged in as the same user on any of these devices and when I search for similar content on the various portals, the rabbit holes y-Tube sends you down can be quite different because they think your profile might want that content. It's kind of funny, but it does give me a better variety of results than I have found on one profile that might continually push me in the same direction.

Maybe its the algorithm itself that is more influential than the content?

And whatever that thing is that Blackstone Betty has going on with her eyebrows now, I find her unwatchable and irritating. My wife laughs when she hears her keep talking about her "sexy eggs". What would that be, a defluencer?

I definitely have to some degree (I bought a Franklin pit because of Aaron Franklin) but I try to pay attention to what some of these guys actually use vs. what they are paid to promote. I think that speaks volumes vs. product indorsements.

An example would be Bradley Robinson of Chud's BBQ. The guy was a the pitmaster for a Texas Monthly top 50 restaurant. So he was using B&B charcoal before he was paid to promote FOGO. His knife roll has your standard Victorinox boning knife, Dexter slicer, etc. I saw him briefly promote Dalstrong (which look like junk to me) and then they disappeared. Guess which products I'm more likely to buy? Typically the ones they use but don't mention. They might introduce a product to me that is something I hadn't heard of that stands on it's own merits.

Fortunately, I am an adult with a mind that allows me to choose between what I see as important to me regardless of what others want me to think.
Cool.
Ed

without youtube, i def wouldnt be as good of an outdoor cook, and would be without so many good recipes! gotta take the good with the bad sometimes it seems, i def dont blame youtubers for making money, id do the same thing if possible!

I will say that my go to "influencer" is Bradley Robinson, AKA Chud's BBQ. Dude can cook, weld, fabricate, et al. His vids are short, to the point, sprinkle in a little humor with a decent amount of info. Honestly, he's the biggest reason I got in to sausage making, and I am thankful because it's fun and I am putting out some good food. And he freely shares his recipes.

BUT...most importantly...my 2 year old LOVES him! From his knife roll easter egg, to his snake in his boot, to the official taste test, my son cracks up! Any reason for him to climb up on my lap and sit with Dad for 20 minutes and laugh at Chud together is worth it in GOLD in my opinion. I literally wait until my son asks to watch his newer vids so we can enjoy them together.

I will say that my go to "influencer" is Bradley Robinson, AKA Chud's BBQ. Dude can cook, weld, fabricate, et al. His vids are short, to the point, sprinkle in a little humor with a decent amount of info. Honestly, he's the biggest reason I got in to sausage making, and I am thankful because it's fun and I am putting out some good food. And he freely shares his recipes.

BUT...most importantly...my 2 year old LOVES him! From his knife roll easter egg, to his snake in his boot, to the official taste test, my son cracks up! Any reason for him to climb up on my lap and sit with Dad for 20 minutes and laugh at Chud together is worth it in GOLD in my opinion. I literally wait until my son asks to watch his newer vids so we can enjoy them together.

one of my favs is a Dutchman called Pitmaster X, i just found chud this past week, def agree with ur assessment!

Honestly, the Brethren have influenced me more than anyone. I do search recipes online (Allrecipes etc.), and sometimes there is an associated video link with them. But I pay no mind to sales pitches.

Has anyone seen those vids of cooking out in the woods? I think he's from the Baltic region.... Haven't seen that channel in a few years.

-D

That guy is obnoxious. I guess its no surprise he calls himself Chud.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chud
chud

https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http://chud.urbanup.com/4838065
Anyone who has no good qualities at all:
*******s, morons, idiots, jerks, preppy pieces-of-****, meatheads, etc.
This place is full of chuds.
Johnny's such a chud, he's a chudstein barr.
Don't be a chud, just get in the car...
Are you gonna buy the beer, or are you gonna be a chud

I live an die by what the influencers say.

I know it's the truth because its on the internet, so it must be true.

I know that 99.9% of all good barbecue is done on a Traeger pellet grill. I also know that to get the ultimate barbecue you are searching for, you must use Traeger pellets with said grill. You want to enhance the flavor of your barbecue? Everyone knows (everyone, even you) that the only way to enhance the flavor further is by using Traeger rub products. And don't even think of doing the flippity flip without using Traeger BBQ tools. And you might as well barbecue while naked if you don't have the proper Traeger apron, cooking mitts, and splash pad for the decks. I also know that all temp gauges are inferior and inaccurate, except the Traeger thermometer.

Am I influenced by the influencers?

Not at all.
Grill Treager pellets help in my smoker?
572f4ca18a777def3bbfcb1e2acfac3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

...some early influencers for me were Justin Wilson and Steve Raichlen... Most recently are guys like Arnie Tex and Stalekracker.
I know the first two, no clue who the second two are. :noidea:

I guess for me, two influencers were Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet & Alton Brown. I've been making Jeff's Beer & Dill Carrots for close to 40 years. Alton's City Ham probably 25 years & his home made green bean casserole is killer!

Has anyone seen those vids of cooking out in the woods? I think he's from the Baltic region.... Haven't seen that channel in a few years.

-D

Might be "Wilderness Cooking"?
It was mentioned here a few months ago.

If you refer to yourself as a "Pitmaster" or an "Influencer" - those are red flags and those people are be avoided (IMHO)

Ok to be called those by others - especially the Pitmaster one.

I will admit to putting stuff in an Amazon basket based on a video...just to delete them when I come to my senses :grin:

I know the first two, no clue who the second two are. :noidea:

I guess for me, two influencers were Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet & Alton Brown. I've been making Jeff's Beer & Dill Carrots for close to 40 years. Alton's City Ham probably 25 years & his home made green bean casserole is killer!

Emeril Lagasse and Alton Brown were my first introduction to cooking.
It seems ridiculous now, but watching them cook with all the ingredients prepared in small bowls arranged on the counter was an epiphany for me. Emeril’s gumbos , jambalayas and crab chops and Alton’s Thanksgiving turkey and chicken stock are some of the oldest recipes in my binder.

you farkers are all the influence I need.
I have a PBC, because of that thread
I have a 26er, because several on here liked it better than a 22, they were correct
I have a MAK 2*, well Makdaddy
I have a LSG offset because I ate a brownie, saw an add for the smoker, asked for opinions on here
I have zero regrets for any of it

If you refer to yourself as a "Pitmaster" or an "Influencer" - those are red flags and those people are be avoided (IMHO)

Ok to be called those by others - especially the Pitmaster one.

I will admit to putting stuff in an Amazon basket based on a video...just to delete them when I come to my senses :grin:

Another red flag for me is someone who refers to themself as an expert. This goes for any subject matter not just BBQ.

Back