Are Thermapens really worth the money?

When I do large cooks ... I mean around 10+ shoulders and 10+ briskets I do love the thermapen ... as it allows me to quickly check temps on each piece of meat. I use a Stoker and have 3 grate level probes and 2 meat probes, so I usually have a rough idea of where my temps are however I've had a few cooks where certain meats stall and others don't. That being said, I also have Cooper Pen (Father's Day gift) that 'fnbish' recommended ... and have found I use that more and more.

"Is it worth it" depends on several factors as many have mentioned. $100 for some people is a weeks salary and for others it could be 10 minutes of work. For me it wasn't worth the price as I'm not in comps and not rich by any means. In my opinion if you are just a Family and friends at home griller/smoker I feel you can get a really good thermometer for a quarter of the price.
I have the ThermoWorks RT600C from Amazon. $21 after shipping and recommended by amazingribs.com. Works great for me. Very accurate and only takes about 5 seconds to register temperature.

For BBQ, it might be overrated as I use a remote thermometer to get me in the ballpark and probe for tenderness at the end of the cook. Chicken thighs are the only thing I use it for.
That being said, I love it for grilling steaks, burgers, sausages, tenderloins, etc. Is a quick thermometer worth it? Definitely as you’ll be able to grill items to your personal perfection. You won’t have that “walk of shame” back to the grill when someone cuts into some pink chicken. You won’t serve up dry hockey pucks either.
So do you invest in the $20 models or the $90 one? That’s a matter of convenience. I have both. I’m still thrilled with my Thermapen purchase. When you are doing a reverse sear, an extra second or two waiting for the thermometer can lead to a lack of knuckle hair. With a grill full of meats and hungry on-lookers, I like having the super-fast readings.

ThermoPop is a great thermometer as well. I think you made a good purchase there. Spend the extra $70 and build a UDS.......Someone had to say it! :mrgreen:

I was looking into the thermopen but at $25 for the thermopop, it is a no brainer for me. Thanks for helping me save (and spend) some money. I'm tired of my store bought $20 POS that shuts off before it gets a stable reading.

One thing to add is that if you use it for stuff other than BBQ it is invaluable. For steaks, I wouldn't trade it for something that took even a second longer.

I do have a thermapen and love it, but for those not wanting to spend that kind of money this model that I have bought at Restaurant Depot is what I recommend. Is is maybe 1 second slower and waterproof. I have no worries about washing this thing and getting water all over it. Thermapens are only "splashproof" but mine has certainly lasted.

This one in the pic is actually the 2nd one I've bought. I have one for home and this latest is now what I have as my thermapen back up at comps. If my thermapen ever dies I won't buy another. And you can order it on Amazon in case you don't have a RD near. For $25 it is absolutely an equal to the thermapen. Had I known about it prior to buying my thermapen I wouldn't have dropped the $90.
IMAG2170_zpsyo7hcjws.jpg

Cooper-Atkins DPP800W Digital Pocket Test Thermometer with Large LCD, -40/450° F Temperature Range: Science Lab Digital Thermometers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Thanks for sharing this now... :) At comps, I would much rather lose, ruin, smash a $25 thermo than a $100 one!

Hmmm love to see Bludawg's response....only since I do the Quing by feel, pork butt wiggling the bone, brisket probing like buttah. I understand food prep safety though but the tell tail signs should tell you the temps are above. More so chilling things have the food safety issues I'd say imo.

Hmmm love to see Bludawg's response....only since I do the Quing by feel, pork butt wiggling the bone, brisket probing like buttah. I understand food prep safety though but the tell tail signs should tell you the temps are above. More so chilling things have the food safety issues I'd say imo.

I understand cooking by feel, but how do you know when chicken isn't getting overcooked or a standing rib roast is the perfect medium rare?

I do all my meats that are cooked to tender by feel, but meats that are cooked to a specific internal temperature, I use my instant read thermometer to help me know when it is done.

You certainly don't absolutely need to have it. If you love to cook though it'll be one of your most used tools.

Thermapens are a status symbol among many Brethren.

The Thermopop, RT600C and others listed in the thread would serve 99.875% of us perfectly well.

But the Thermapen is cool, especially the (add favorite color here) ones!

On a side note, my RT600C died last week. The free replacement arrived today. I told Thermoworks they could send a Thermopop (their choice of color even) instead, but no dice.

Back