Are Home-made Grillable Salmon Burgers Possible?

Grimm5577

is Blowin Smoke!
Like the title reads... are they?

I see Salmon Burgers in the frozen food section of many stores, with a picture of them on a grill, I was pretty skeptical but gave it a shot. The patties grilled up well on the grill but as expected, tasted like frozen salmon burgers. So that got me wondering is it possible to make my own "Grillable" Salmon burgers.

I found most of the recipes for salmon burgers say to pan fry or broil it. I want that fire licked taste we all love from grilling. So how can you make a salmon burger patty that can stay together for grilling?

Would freezing the patties and grilling them frozen help like the frozen food brands? or are those brands partially cooked prior to freezing?

The only other idea i had was going with a standard recipe but using a fish basket on the grill to hold the patties. But in all cases i worry that when the salmon cooks the patty will crumble.

Anyone got any ideas?

i'd guess they are along the lines of salmon croquets with bread crumbs and egg used as a binder.

Yep. Never made them but I saw some at the Aldi store and the ingredient list had binders in it just like a croquet.

Yea gotta have a good binder which can be flour and bread crumbs. I've used eggs and feel it makes them too messy. The trick i think is to cook it indirect until it firms up so you can then give it some direct after then flip it.

I love salmon burgers and i think you talked me into doing some this week!

Try using mayo as a binder and panko bread crumbs, if you use too much egg, you get a salmon omlette.

It's been years, but done them before. I believe it was based on a crabcake recipe.

Thanks guys, I imagined it was similar to a crab cake but even those I would be scared to grill. The frozen patties I got didn't seem like they had much if any filler. Seemed much more like an all meat patty. (and probably 3% chemicals i suppose)

Meat glue? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Transglutaminase-Meat-Glue-Formula-50g/dp/B00EIGV7MC/"]Amazon.com : Transglutaminase (Meat Glue) - RM Formula - 50g/2oz : Gourmet Food : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41AM4u3b3mL.@@AMEPARAM@@41AM4u3b3mL[/ame]

Just mix to the same consistency as meat loaf. Make em thick and don't turn early. A lemon dill butter garlic sauce can remoistureize them.

Back