THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grizzly6

Full Fledged Farker
Lately I have been using Apple jelly and Jalepeno Jelly at the end of my Pork Butt cooks.

When I get the butts to about 160 to 175 internal I place them in a foil pan with about 1/2 a jar of apple Jelly and about 2-3 tablespoons of Jalepeno Jelly. Place foil over the top and then place in the oven at about 350 until the meat is done. I take the meat out of the oven and let it rest for 30-40 minutes. When I pull the meat I leave it in the pan and mix it up all together. It ends up tasting awesome. Little sweet, a little heat and a whole lot of awesome.

Thoughts??

Sounds great, but why wouldn't you finish the butt in the smoker?

This last time I had some ribs on the smoker and did not want them cooking at 350. I also misjudged the time to cook a 3.5lbs butt and did not have the time to finish it at 275 with the ribs.

Also, during the winter, it is nice to have the oven finishing the cook. I don't have to walk outside and the oven is a constant heat. The butt is not absorbing any more smoke and I am not overly concerned with bark when cooking for the family.

I'm also rather cheap and using the foil pan in the oven keeps it cleaner and can be re-used over and over.

Back