THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Brining” the chicken overnight or at least a few hours in buttermilk with salt added really took it up a notch.

All suggestions so far very good and all but you will never reach true fried chicken nirvana till you follow my Mom's procedure.
Buy a whole chicken and cut up into serving pieces, get one of the 50 or so paper grocery bags from under the basement steps, through some flour and salt & pepper and garlic powder in along with the chicken parts (including the heart, livers, and gizzard) close it and roll the top and shake the hell out of it. Take out and let it set for a bit. Then fry up in an electric skillet with melted lard. Don't forget to hide and protect the guts so only Dad gets them on his plate.
Ed

I'm soaking all of this in. I've ordered a big tub of beef tallow to try in the deep fryer.

I'm also going to try changing up the breading mixture with either commercial ones mentioned or the combination of flour and baking soda/corn starch.

Greatly appreciate all the responses!

I'm soaking all of this in. I've ordered a big tub of beef tallow to try in the deep fryer.

I'm also going to try changing up the breading mixture with either commercial ones mentioned or the combination of flour and baking soda/corn starch.

Where did you order from?

I just go old school, flour & Lowry’s seasoned salt and pepper. Combine them all together. Put chicken in flour and coat then drop in hot oil 300-350°.

Do French fries as your first cook! Amazing, yet unhealthy, or not? There's a lot of other things that can kill ya.

I keep trying to get better, but I just haven't been able to make this dish really pop like I want it to.

Restaurant quality chicken fried chicken is better than what I can make at home for some reasons and that's starting to frustrate me.

I've tried pan frying, deep frying, seasoned flour with and without an egg dredge (double dredge), panko after the flour dredge. You name it, I have tried it, and the flavor/texture of the chicken is just lacking. The breading typically falls off too easily, and there is no pop to the flavor even though I go heavy-handed on the flour seasoning.

Help a brother out!
dont just season the flour season the chicken as well and then go egg mixture then flour then back into the egg mixture and then back into the floor and then fry , works great for me , hope that helps , if i can be anymore help just please let me know

Back