Anyone tried ….

Interesting idea.Never tried it.I have cubed pork butt and smoked the way you mention.Turned out fine.

Yes. I do this when making stew-type meals, chili, and or hors d oeuvres/appetizers.

I make pork belly burnt ends this way. Should work with brisket too, right???

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

great idea and the bark would be great and time and temp would be the hardest thing to master but I think it could be done . Maybe try with a chuck roast first since it is cheaper meat to figure it out but would to need to do it on a wire rack in the smoker to obtain the bark at first .

great idea and the bark would be great and time and temp would be the hardest thing to master but I think it could be done . Maybe try with a chuck roast first since it is cheaper meat to figure it out but would to need to do it on a wire rack in the smoker to obtain the bark at first .

I use the chuck roast for mock/faux/poor man burnt ends regularly. It's always devoured and requested again. They aren't quite as tender as the Brisket Point, and you occasionally get a tough cube or two-but the cost for serving ratio can't be beat.

I usually cook the roast whole, then cube it. I do agree that cubed first would be more bark, and that's how I do pork belly. Not sure why I always do the chuck roast whole...

Funny because I've done belly burnt ends this way also, because that's all the recipes I've seen. But my plan is to do whole belly and cube it after, when it's time to glaze. I find my pre-cubed belly burnt ends may have plenty of melting fat, but the meat itself seems a bit dry.

I've done it and had mixed results. As mentioned already many people do pork belly cubes in this manner and it comes out great. But something to think about is that pork belly is a pretty uniform piece of meat in terms of size / thickness / marbling. Brisket point is not uniform in size (unless you trim it down quite a bit and lose a lot of meat in the process).

My results were mixed because I didn't check each individual cube for tenderness and some were still chewy while others were falling apart. I'm sure with enough trimming and prep work this would produce better results, but I feel like you'll get a better overall product by cooking the point whole and then cubing once it's cooked.

Just get some smoke on them. Should taste great. Good to see you back Jason.

Last edited:
Back