Anyone Recommend Against using Green Eggs as their main cooker?

So we cook on 2 Lg and 1 XL and to tell you the truth it is great BBQ, but a pain to manage. I am planning to buy a stick burner as I am sick of moving the eggs off the deck every few weeks. I will lawyas love my egg, but, IMO, it should be on my deck.

To be honest a ceramic cooker is very different tool then the other options. The product from a stick burner vs. a backwoods vs. a pellet and finally a ceramic is measurable. What is better, I can not tell you; that is in the hands of the cook and their ability to master their own cooker.

We use a Louisiana whole hog pellet cooker and two Primo XL. Transportation is delicate but not problem over the last two years (knock on wood). The Primo is very adaptable to the amount of smoke. However with the pellets we are getting some real interesting flavours from BBQ Delight… (Thanks Candy Sue)

I think versatility is a better option, You cant get everything on a primo or egg so take to opportunity to expand your options and capabilities.

Cheers,

Mike – The Black Pig BBQ

We compete with Two Large BGE. I know a guy that has done comps with one. THAT takes supreme timing and ingenuity.

I'd recommend 3 or 4 if your wanting to be an all ceramic team. Myself I'm pondering adding to the arsenal a Backwoods or Onyx oven. I'd like more space and space is your biggest drawback with an Egg.

I was in your shoes a couple years ago. I had an XL BGE at home and planned on going out and doing some competitions. In the end the price of 3 more eggs was the same as a Stumps Stretch at the time. I went with one big cooker and something less fragile. Im not going to say that buying the eggs is a bad idea because there are plenty of teams that haul them all over the country. For me a large gravity fed smoker had the benefits of the egg in a more durable package.

I learned to cook BBQ on a Large Green Egg. I decided against using them in contests because of the breakage issue. The roads here in South Louisiana are not that good and I don't feel like spending $900 every time something breaks. I love my LBGE, however, you are limited by space and the potential for breakage. I bought a Backwoods Party which is another fine Louisiana product! The BGE helped me figure out the Backwoods, which allowed me to get better and start finishing in the top 10 in contests. I'd suggest get a Backwoods for contests....

I have a number of friends that compete with ceramics and have myself a couple of times when I first started in 07. I have also thought many times in the past that it would be best to leave this question unanswered because of those friends but feel confident now that they will understand that two can agree or disagree on such and still be friends. I did not hesitate to move away from the ceramics when I decided to compete due to all the reasons mentioned but I will try to elaborate on what I think has been left out so far. The most critical time in doing comps is during the final stage where you are always more apt to be opening the cooker more and the ceramics are just not as well suited for that task. A cabinet style cooker that you pull out a rack and do your thing with and return is too convenient to pass up. Be very careful though about getting away from the ceramics to do comps as they may become a thing of the past for you as you began to realize that they are not needed if you have cabinet cooker and any old grill. I still love em for their versatility aspect (grill and smoke with one cooker) – but that’s the only thing I like anymore.

Last edited:
We have competed with eggs in the past and they put out good comp BBQ, our main issue was how long it takes to get them to cool down after we finished. We use a 7x14 enclosed trailer and I was always never about the heat of the egg up against the trailer walls.

managing one fire is a lot easier than managing 3-4 fires. Top teams have 1 cooker for a reason.

That’s really a good point. However, being a newbie and having several fires/temperatures will provide the advantage of having different temperatures at my disposal. I know we can find different temps/hot spots on all cookers. However, I think I like having the flexibility of being able to utilize and control different temperatures is very enticing. Besides temperatures on the Eggs are easy to set and maintain compared to a lot of the OffSets out there. (Although the FEC is a dream in that aspect)

Yep. I cooked about 8 this year and had 2 Grand Championships. I haul mine all over the country without any problems.
Set yourself up with enough Eggs (3-4) and durable carts that utilize that fancy new invention THE WHEEL and you'll be fine.

I appreciate your input. Congratulations on the 2 GCs. Ray I met you in Greenville last year and you're the one that pretty much sold me on the merits of the Big Green Egg. I went home and bought one and have simply loved it. I first bought it for my family and personal use. However, it's the that Egg made me really fall in love with BBQ and has given me the bug to start competing. Thanks for helping me uncover this passion.

We have 2 BGE - Party - UDS - all of which have their merits. Nothing compares to a pizza stone blazin on the Egg - BGE is unbeatable (perhaps the wrong word!!) for Saturday NEBS comps. -- BGE rips up to temp. for yardbirds

We use one Egg to 'feed the flock' who inevitably show up -- which also means we need a BAC (Big A$$ Cooler) for COPIOUS libations!

BGE TRANSPORT S-CKS! (at least from my anxiety standpoint). In the word's of Ralphie's old man in A Christmas Story,'FRA-GIL-E!'. We had a lid break at a comp. -- I will say BGE was awesome with replacement!! Much respect.

Party is durable (I am awaiting delivery ANY DAY NOW for my NEW PARTY!!) and UDS (which flew out of truck at 50 mph during a deer strike- long story) is virtually indestructible!!).

Yaba Dabba Que is a top Team at New England BBQ Society (KCBS) events and they cook on Eggs. Cindy and Eric were NEBS Rookie TOY in 2009 (? year) and are always a threat to make the GC walk (and have) in one of the most competitive regions in the country.

They make some good 'cue on those eggs, but also have an electric winch to pull the eggs into the travel trailer. Good cookers, but not so easy to move.

CivilWarBBQ was right about TOY. You need to be cooking 25-30 contests a year to be in the running. Ten or fifteen will get you AR and The Jack invites (provided you win GCs) but you should be thinking closer to 30 contests for a run at KCBS TOY. If you are just starting to compete, I wouldn't be worrying about TOY yet. You will probably buy a few more smokers along the way. :becky:

Back