Anyone own a ole hickory ultraque or cto? Thoughts??

larryfl1

Hi all

Trying to decide between ultraque and cto from ole hickory

I cook very small as it’s for a home setup

One challenge I have on the ultraque is the location of the firebox. It’s not ideal the cto is definitely better location in the front as the unit will be next to a counter on the right side
The cto is definitely overkill on size but I will go with it if there are better reasons to go that path

Please give me your thoughts

Thanks

You say the cto would be overkill but I’d say imagine the size you think you would need and go 1 size bigger. Much better to have a partially filled smoker than fully filled. It is bad for airflow.

Thanks for the input and agree

Hoping to hear from some ultraque/cto owners on their experiences and thoughts on the units

I have seen almost no threads on the ultraque so very little info/comments available online

I have he propane line right where it goes so I assume the propane option makes things easier and I can use with or without propane so I guess best of both worlds??

Give Ole Hickory a call and ask if they have ever done an UltraQue with a front facing firebox. The CTO used to have the side firebox as well...they switched a few years back to the front-load.

Remember that even with the front loading firebox of the CTO, the gas intake & grease drain will still be on that right hand side (facing from the front). If you have a counter to contend with, this might hinder you with either unit.

For home application, the UltraQue is plenty large. The CTO can put out 400 restaurant portions per day (big cuts overnight & staging chicken and/or ribs throughout the day)...so quite the overkill beast for home. But if you can swing it...!!!

Granted I have never seen an UltraQue in person...but given my experience with the CTO, I'm going to guess that I could easily feed approximatly 200 people at a single sitting with the UQ.

I may just put it in a different spot so I can use either machine

In researching I have seen no posts/hits on the Ultraque

The next question is other then size/capacity does the ultraque compromise anything from the cto?

Flavor/cooking characteristics?? Cleanup access inside?

Btw ole hickory said they can’t move the firebox on the ultraque

I think the CTO has a convection fan and the ultraque does not. We have a Ace BP and have cooked a single chicken breast on it or one rack of ribs.

Back