Anyone looking at 2007 yet?

Looking forward to Bristol PA in May, a small local comp in August and New Holland PA in September. I'm hoping to have a new job and a new house by then, so I hope the plans don't get screwed up.

ultramag said:
Thanks for the link, I had looked there before and thought that was the site. I must have looked the wrong place or something. I had no idea all the contests here in MO. I'll certainly at least go and check a couple out and hopefully meet some of you guys in person. I don't/won't have the equipment and probably not the knowledge to do that next year.

I'll git outta the way now and let you guys get on with the serious business of planning the creation of awesome Q. Thanks again HoDeDo.

The best place to start is to be a judge, IMHO. Find a couple of those contests in MO and contact the contest organizer to see if you can be a judge. You'll get to not only sample the entries to get a feel for what people are turning in, but you also get to see how they are presenting the food.

Hope to see you out here.

HoDeDo said:
I am already thinkin about next year.... Only cuz I have not had to cook the last couple weeks, so it is driving me nuts!!!

....and talked about the Polar Swine at the AR with some folks, looking forward to kicking the season off in Feburary, at about -4 degrees F!!!! From there, I have a few "Must do" contests - Osage City, Platte City, Marshalltown, Laurie, Roots Fest, Greeley.... I'll try to set the rest of the scheduleafter I figure out what catering funds/sponsors we have.... I want to shoot for 15 events again this year.... more if the funds let us.

Andy, we're OUT for Marshalltown. It is the week after Sedalia and the week before Cameron. We aren't going to do three weeks in a row.

Ultramag, sorry I didn't get back here to respond to your questions. Glad to see Andy took care of ya!

Todd, welcome to the Brethren! Glad to see more local teams sign up!

Chad said:
Gotta see how finances are after Plant City in a few weeks. I finance my comps with catering money...the CFO questions $$$ spent from family funds!

I'm right there with you mi amigo. If this stuff doesn't pay for itself, I don't get to do it. I've been lucky so far, knock on hickory.

I hope to do most of the FBA contests, which right now stands at 9. It's sure to grow to close to 20 before all is said and done. I'll also throw in some favorite KCBS contests like Lakeland FL, Greenwood SC, Ft. Rucker AL(?), Plant City FL, and Key Largo FL. And if all goes well and I meet my goal that I've had for 2 years now, I'll be adding the Royal Invitational to the list. That has been one very tough goal for me to reach, but I'm not giving up :x

2007 2007 2007 2007

2007 can't we finish 2006 the year of the rain.. first??
lunchmeat is headin' to douglas ga. for a great great contest..
So many teams are preping for the Jack they sure can't think about
2007.. As far as we should be thinkin' is the Xmas party that you are
going to bring amazing BBQ to.. 007 may never happen..

Enjoy

Sully

Rub said:
Chad said:

I'm right there with you mi amigo. If this stuff doesn't pay for itself, I don't get to do it. I've been lucky so far, knock on hickory.

I hope to do most of the FBA contests, which right now stands at 9. It's sure to grow to close to 20 before all is said and done. I'll also throw in some favorite KCBS contests like Lakeland FL, Greenwood SC, Ft. Rucker AL(?), Plant City FL, and Key Largo FL. And if all goes well and I meet my goal that I've had for 2 years now, I'll be adding the Royal Invitational to the list. That has been one very tough goal for me to reach, but I'm not giving up :x

We'd really like to do more. Right now a "perfect" schedule for us would be Lakeland, Dillard, Plant City, and Key Largo with a few FBA events to round out the season. I see the Mulberry has moved to Feb -- probably to miss the heat and hurricanes - I like that event!!

I'll put on my judge's hat more next year and probably do Wachula, Winter Haven, and possibly Sebring...getting KCBS events to judge is tougher. Last year I judged Plant City, but we're cooking it next month. Fortunately, KCBS give a bit of slack to us judges that live in an area with a limited number of events with "reasonable" travel distances.

we've got things in the works too... I don't think it's EVER too early to start planning. People give me crap about it all the time. This is it so far...

Snowshoe MA March
Grillin' On The Bay, NY (judge probably) March
Pork In The Park , MD April
Memphis In May May
Peter's Pond MA June
Merrimac, NH June
Lake Placid July
Harpoon July
Maine? August
New Holland, PA August
Lowell, MA September
Falmouth, MA or Oinktoberfest, NY first wknd of Oct
American Royal!! KC baby~! October (we just qualified for that one)

Whoa...that is twelve already! And there is at least one extra category (if not FOUR) at every dang one of them. Should be fun. I'll need a BIG vacation (to Lynchburg...heheh) after all that. That is all for now. There are a coupla more I am contemplating (Canada, some mid-Atlantic) we shall see what we get back in taxes. That is what funds lunchmeat usually.

NEBS is determining a 2007 schedule, as we speak. More to come on that later...

lunchlady

OK, I'll give it a shot for the Meatheads based on this year.

Osage City, KS
Warsaw, MO
Lawrence, KS
Great American--KCK
McLouth, KS
Sedalia, MO
Warrensburg, MO
Bellevue, NE (as Ho De Sparkle Heads)
Laurie, MO
Emporia, KS
Blue Springs, MO
Liberty, MO
American Royal
DeSoto, KS (unless we have to defend our title in Columbia :wink:)

We did NOT like Excelsior Springs, MO and will not be going back there.

Looks like I'll be seeing a lot of you guys Dave - looking forward to it.

Lunchmeat - I'll look you guys up in Douglas GA. I didn't qualify myself this year, but am cooking with 2 different teams. Douglas is fun :biggrin:

Rub said:
And if all goes well and I meet my goal that I've had for 2 years now, I'll be adding the Royal Invitational to the list. That has been one very tough goal for me to reach, but I'm not giving up :x

We are there with you. We have never done the Royal and won't until we get invited. It is just a personal goal. Also, it is so expensive, we'd rather put our money toward smaller contests. Coming in 125 out of 500+ is doing well, but it just doesn't relate easily to bragging rights.

Rub said:
Looks like I'll be seeing a lot of you guys Dave - looking forward to it.

Lunchmeat - I'll look you guys up in Douglas GA. I didn't qualify myself this year, but am cooking with 2 different teams. Douglas is fun :biggrin:

Who are you cooking with Rub????
I was looking forward to seeing your latest mods on your trailer.

See ya there.

TIM

Tim, I'm cooking with TDB in the Invitational and Big Pig Inc (Buddy) in the Open. My trailer is staying home for Douglas, but I'll have it in Brooksville in a week and a half. You going?

Lunchmeat - I'll look you guys up in Douglas GA.

That would be great! I think I have pictures of you guys from last year. Didn't you guys have the giant hot sauce bottle>? We went around to all the teams just as we left on Saturday. Everyone was turning in at that time so we may have missed saying HI. Won't let that happen again!

See you there!
lunchlady

There will be a new contest at the I-70 Speedway next year (April/May/June). I have been working with the director of marketing out there trying to work some sort of money making opportunity for Kookers Kare. It should be on a race weekend with lots of stuff going on - not sure of the date yet.

MoKanMeathead said:
There will be a new contest at the I-70 Speedway next year (April/May/June). I have been working with the director of marketing out there trying to work some sort of money making opportunity for Kookers Kare. It should be on a race weekend with lots of stuff going on - not sure of the date yet.

Wayne, if it falls on the right weekend, I'd be up for that contest for sure. We are participating in Kookers Kare again next year, too. Glad to see it got moved to Sugar Creek.

Didn't you guys have the gianthot sauce bottle>?

No, that's Swamp Water Boys. I get that a lot :wink:.
I wasn't there last year, but I was in '04 with The Dixie Boys (TDB). I'm really looking forward to going this year, and for '07 I think I'll have qualified on my own :mrgreen:

Sledneck said:
Grillin on the bay
Grill Kings
Hudson

Don't forget the Snowshoe in MA. It's usually held in March. It's not that far away -- Steve, Vinny and I droive there and back in the same day. And I'd like to see New Yorker kick some New England ass. :twisted:

I wonder if they'll let me judge again next year? :shock:

Back