Anyone heard or own a Kamado Joe?

any updates on this issue? was looking at a kamado joe in a local store here. very impressive.

ha! some guy said that this thread was the thing that sent him here a couple of years ago. odd that the same thing happened to me.

the ones that i saw (own two big green eggs and a few other smokers) looked good in the store. i was really wondering if i could use some of the add-ons for the kamado joe with the big green egg. i'll take the measurements and let everybody know if i can. the grate is the same size; mainly interested in the indirect heating plate....

anybody know anything more about these smokers?

edit: the reason for the question about the add-ons is that kamado joe place is much more convenient to me than any bge place.

Hi guys, some fellas who post in here know me from the spokane/coeur d'alene area. I rep for Traeger and Kamado Joe in the inland NW. I have been cooking on my KJ for about five months now and I love it.

When I talk to prospective dealers in the area I do respect their relationship with BGE and I do not bash them at all, there are subtle differences in the two that makes KJ a more appealing brand for our local dealers. Here are the basic differences that we show:

Thicker, all stainless steel is powdercoated, not painted, all wood is either natural color or teak stained finished bamboo hardwood (resists wear, staining and mildew much better than cypress, comes fully assembled, larger dome thermometer, gasketed exhaust port, 20 year warranty on ceramics, now priced $150 less expensive than the BGE (I heard BGE just upped their grills by $50, so this is second hand)

For local dealers who feel they are smothered with BGE dealers, this option is very attractive, since they don't have to assemble anything and their is no shipping, we warehouse in Spokane.

Food will taste the same from either, it's the cook not the cooker. But I do prefer the heat diffuser on the KJ since it leaves a quarter inch diameter gap and no heat zones on the grill grate. Any questions, please let me know. I need a dealer in Spokane right now, so if you know anyone, send em my way.

Oh and if you wait a couple weeks, KJ is releasing the Pro Joe, a bigger, better competition style kamado. It will be unveiled at the HPBA show next month.

I'm in the market for a ceramic and went to the local BBQ store to compare the BGE and KJ side by side.

I'm impressed withe KJ and the sales rep showed me pro's and cons of both units. He has owned both and currently has the KJ for personal use.

The KJ is less expensive by a few bucks, but even if it was the same price as the BGE, I'm still leaning towards the KJ for now.

Decisions, decisions.

Smokerking, honestly, your food will taste the same. With competition comes options. I do prefer the KJ platesetter as it has uniform heat distribution around the entire grill area. I do enjoy my KJ quite a bit, in fact we are going to get a little group of kamado style cookers together here in my area since we have eggheads, kamado joe and primo guys all over...kind of a love fest for ceramic cookers, no reason to be mortal enemies bashing each other's grills...we love to barbecue, might as well have a good time.

Smokerking, honestly, your food will taste the same. With competition comes options. I do prefer the KJ platesetter as it has uniform heat distribution around the entire grill area. I do enjoy my KJ quite a bit, in fact we are going to get a little group of kamado style cookers together here in my area since we have eggheads, kamado joe and primo guys all over...kind of a love fest for ceramic cookers, no reason to be mortal enemies bashing each other's grills...we love to barbecue, might as well have a good time.

Yes, I know the final product will taste the same. I want to make it easy as possible and the KJ deflector / pizza stone rig seemed easier to install fits better than the BGE. Adding chips, chunks if needed is easier with the open wing grate on the KJ.

Newb just my .02.

I have had a KJ for about 14 months. It was a gift from a friend who knew I wanted either a BGE or a Primo. He saw these and bought me one. I've enjoyed every moment of cooking on it. I've had occasion to contact KJ twice - once for a cracked charcoal grate and once for a thermometer that I thought was wacky. Both times, I had a reply to my inquiry within a day and a replacement part within 3 days.

I recently bought a used Small BGE and a new Mini but haven't cooked on them yet.

I like the KJ very much and will cook on it as long as it lasts - which I suspect will be a very long time. Oh, the cooking grate is stainless - somebody asked. And the grill is made in China, per the company. I understand that BGE's are made in Mexico and you have to get a Primo to get an American made ceramic.

These egg wars are kinda fun! Amazing how deep the loyalties/prejudices run!

Pat

Back